Author Topic: HEAT/SC v1.2 (Long post)  (Read 10933 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
HEAT/SC v1.2 (Long post)
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »
If you've followed some of the electric bike posts on this site, you've probably seen talk of using a trailer to carry the batteries.

My bike trailer build took a different route.

HEAT/SC  v1.2

A homebuilt Hauling-Electric Assist bike Trailer/Shopping Cart.

Meet Woodrow Prime... you can call him "Woody"

I first got the idea for this and started building it in my mind 7 or 8 years ago when I first saw Mr. Sharkey's incredible pusher diesel Rabbit.  I figured if it worked with a diesel Rabbit, why wouldn't it work with an electric trailer for a bike?

In those years I found a few pusher trailers on line, both gas and electric, but never did anything about it except build it in my head.

Last years spike in gas prices got me off my rear end and got me working.

To that end, I purchased 2 Currie electric folding bikes on craigslist.

The good:

The bikes were in great shape and the price was right.  The bikes had 20" wheels which is what I wanted on the trailer.

The bad:

The bikes maxed out at around 13mph with the Currie Electro-Drive and their 20" wheels.  Mounted on a 26" wheel, the drive train maxed out at around 15-16mph.

Now I'm sure our European friends would see nothing wrong with that speed but I'm closer to a typical American and I wanted something faster.  Federal law states 750 watts/20mph... although I'm sure you could argue the fact that the bike isn't really powered, the trailer is... hmmm

After market parts are available to get to a higher speed but it was going to cost me more in parts than I had in both bikes.

I found a cheap Currie E-Ride mountain bike on craigslist toward the end of summer.  The folders have the original "silver can" MAC BMC motors, the E-Ride has a newer "finned" motor but it's speed is still around 15-16mph, maybe 18mph max?  Still too slow for me when used on a 20" wheel.

By now many are probably wondering "If you have all these electric bikes, why build an electric trailer."

There are a few reasons for the trailer.

1- To see if it would work, and if so, how well.

2-I still like riding my bike and the trailer set up leaves my bike in mostly stock configuration.

My bike is an old GT Outpost I found in a trash pile.  I was about 2 minutes from cutting it up to use in making a recumbent when I realized it was in pretty decent shape.

I put air in the tires and spent a few minutes tuning it up and put about 25 miles on it before the rear tire's gum wall let the tube through.  That was about 4 years ago and since then I've put about 1500 miles on that bike.

Last summer I bent the rear chain stays apart to fit one of the E-Folder's drives on it.  This spring I took the drive off it and re-bent the chain stays back to their approximate original location and put another 100 miles or so on it.  This bike has taken a lot of punishment and still gives it's all.

It's still a nice bike to ride to the store, putz around the neighborhood, or ride along the river on the bike path.

I still like riding my bike... with the electric trailer, all I have on the bike is a throttle, a rocker switch under the left brake lever, some wiring, and a hitch receiver.

3- I don't live in the worst crime area in the world but it's not the safest place either.  I'm always a little leery of leaving an electric bike locked up outside a store, the post office, a park, etc.  There are too many "interesting bits" on it that get people's attention.

With the electric trailer, I can take it inside or if I do leave it outside, most people don't know it's anything but a bike trailer, albeit a cute one! :)

4- It's not only a trailer, it's a shopping cart.

I thought the drive train through during the winter and this spring I found a 24 volt Schwinn(Currie) S-500 electric scooter on craigslist.

The listing ended up being from a pawn shop and all they could tell me was, "It worked when we took it in maybe 8 months ago.  A few weeks ago someone was interested in it and we tried charging it over night and when we turned it on, the wheel spun around about 3 times then quit.  We don't know what's wrong with it."

I bought it.  All that was wrong with it was the batteries and a flat rear tire.  I actually got the batteries back into decent shape, the story is here.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/4/6/161139/6278

The batteries can now sit for a few weeks off charge, dropping to around 12.9 volts and seem to have close to their listed 10ah of storage.

I cobbled the scooter's motor and drive gear onto a Bell bike trailer I had found in the trash about the same time I found the GT.

The scooter's throttle used a 6 conductor mini-din connector that wasn't long enough to reach from the trailer to the bike's handle bars.  I had a spare 8 conductor mini-din and used that along with a spare computer motherboard's mouse mini-din connector.

The gear on the scooter's wheel is the same size and thread as a screw on typical bike gear set, like a mountain or 10 speed bike so I laced up a spare axle to a 20" wheel and threaded the scooter's drive gear onto it.  A few zip ties later and this is what I had.  I call this the XHEAT.

Although this setup worked and got me on the road quickly, I had ended up changing the drive ratio too much and the range suffered.

Using a 24v, 4.8ah pack of BruceS NiCd, the trailer did only .33 miles.  The top speed was 19mph, all this was without any pedaling and the pack lasted around 5 or 6 minutes.

I stuck this same battery pack on the E-Ride mountain bike and it did 3.6 no pedal miles, lasted 15 minutes, averaged 12.6mph, and reached a high of 16.8mph.

To make sure it was the drive ratio being changed too much,  I put the drive gear back onto the scooter's wheels and installed them on another trailer.

It did 2.4 no pedal miles, lasted 12 minutes, averaged 12mph, and reached a high of 16mph.

I think the difference in pack output is the fact that the E-Ride mtb is a brushless motor and the scooter is a brushed.

I ended up getting another scooter and using it.  This one was an IZIP, also a Currie, and also a 500, but this particular scooter was able to overvolt to 36 volts.  The Schwinn would shut itself down above 30 volts.

There is a design online from a neighbor to the north of me, Bob Bidwell, that uses parts from a Currie scooter, pretty much what I ended up with in the XHEAT.  It certainly was an easy project but the 12" wheels from the scooter seem to find every crack, bump, dip, rock... you get the picture... the thing would jump all over the place and that in turn would pull and push the bike and was just uncomfortable for me.

I can imagine using some sort of suspension but I wasn't ready to go that route.

I ended up purchasing one of these.

It's another Currie product, the same one used on the newer Currie, IZIP, and EZIP bikes.  The included drive gear is the same size as a regular single speed bike chain.  I ended up having to grind that gear down some so it would spin a thinner "multi-speed" chain so it would work with a 5 speed gear set on the 20" wheel.

Now I needed a way to shift it remotely.

I tried an old 10 speed shifter and it worked but hooking it up to the trailer was a nightmare and I could see that having some way to quickly unhook it from the bike was going to be a problem.  I decided to go "electric".

I searched online for a cheap linear actuator but found nothing.  I got tired of looking and ended up using an old Skill cordless drill I found in the trash.

I hooked up some limit switches and inserted a couple of diodes and had my linear acutator.

It worked well enough and I purchased a couple(1+ a spare) of  DPDT rocker switches from Digi-Key to control the thing.  Worked great.

Here's a shot of Woody's guts.  The drill/actuator is at the top of the picture... it connects to the 5 speed derailleur and pulls it to the low gear or lets out slack in order for the derailleur's spring to pull to high.

The 'battery retention system' is two old pieces of velcro strap.  The velcro straps were originally set up to hold 24 volts worth of BruceS NiCds and were crossed to try and hold the lithium pack.  I added webbing from an old tool belt to help hold the lithium pack because I didn't want a ton of holes in the bottom!

Woody's frame is an old Burley I found craigslist.  It was being used as a garden cart to haul paving stones and had seen better days.

I cut it down length ways about 3 inches and side to side about 3 inches.  The frame is now a little over 28 inches square and will just fit through a 'two eight' door.

Performance

I only have one grocery run and a total of only about 15 miles on Woody but so far he's held up well.

With 36 volts, in 5th gear, max speed is around 26mph.  At 24 volts, the max speed was around 19/20mph.

I was using BruceS's batteries at 24 volts but I haven't rewired them for 36 volts yet.  The battery you see in the picture is a lithium pack from a Tres Terra(now Ultra Motors) Europa.

When it was in the Europa I think the range was around 18 miles with some pedaling.  I haven't done a range test with Woody yet.

The trailer does do some bouncing around still even with the 20" wheels.  I think part of the reason for the bouncing is because I shortened the whole thing up.  It doesn't bounce badly but if it's under power and hits a hole or bump is will jump some.

Other than that it rides like a regular bike and I've had it going over 30mph downhill and it tracks right behind like it's not even there.

The transformation from trailer to cart or cart to trailer takes about a half a minute and it works fine as a grocery cart.

All that is required for transformation is pulling the pin from the hitch, disconnecting the wiring harness (I used a motherboard power connector), pulling a pin on the trailer arm, flipping the arm, and reinserting the pin on the brace you can see in some of the pictures.

Woody weighs about 45lbs.  Here he is 'flipping his lid' with the trailer tongue in the shopping cart position.

A shot of the caster wheel in front.

A shot of the rear showing the lock/switch and the charging port.  Sorry about the focus.

Cost

I had much of the things used to build Woody already laying around but here's a rundown of what I've spent so far.  Most prices will include shipping and tax if applicable and if I remember...doh!

Currie (Unite 1018z?) 24v, 450w motor, allelectronics.com, $50.00

Schwinn S500 24v scooter, craigslist, $43.09

IZIP I500 24v scooter, craigslist, $30.00

Burley bike trailer, craigslist, $40.00

Alumiweld, Harbor Freight, $13.00

Dap Weldwood contact cement, Home Depot, $10.00

34 qt collapsible crate, Kmart, $8.00

2-DPDT rocker switches, Digi-Key, $2.03/each + tax + shipping, $6.13

MAAS metal polish, Walgreens, $5.00

Hapmton cam lock, Aviation Industrial Supply, $1.54

(and)

Aluminum continuous(piano) hinge, Aviation Industrial Supply, $1.45

Total: $3.23

'Woody' personalized license plate, Walmart, $0.25

Like I said before, I had a lot of the stuff for this build laying around and I tried to use up junk before buying anything.  I used aluminum crutches, an old busted up jogger a friend brought by... etc.

The trailer deck and the box's bottom are pieces of hollow core door skin laminated to Tuff-R polyiso insulation.  The sides of the box are from a piece of 13 ply Baltic plywood left over from a wooden recumbent bike project a few years ago(that bike didn't last long... the frame broke!)  Using all this other stuff obviously kept the price down.

To be fair I should probably include the cost of the Europa since I'm using it's battery pack, it was $250.

The $30.00 scooter came with two sets of decent batteries and I could use three of those for the 36 volts the trailer needs but it would add quite a bit of weight and probably drop the range.  I'm not sure how well the trailer's bottom would hold up carrying the weight of those batteries.

Total price including the Europa's battery is $458.70

Even if I were to add up all the money I've spent on electric transportation I'd still be well under a thousand dollars.  Many spend more than that on their batteries alone and most of what I've bought can probably be re-sold at what I spent or more.

I'm only using one of the scooters for parts and could subtract the $43.09 from the total cost plus I'm sure I could sell it for what I have in it or more.  I could probably sell the two folding electric bikes for what I have in them and if I keep the Europa's battery I could probably set it up with cheaper batteries and recoup it's cost.  I've really grown to like the Currie E-Ride Mountain Bike and I don't see selling it anytime soon... it was missing it's #25 chain for the motor drive, had the wrong size seatpost, and someone had turned the handlebars backwards... that's all that was wrong with it.  It was $50.00.

I need to thank a few;

The good Lord for the skills, the persistence, and a place to build things and a country in which to do it.

My girlfriend for 3 P's...

She showed a lot of patience when the trailer was taking up a lot of my time.

She got me a good price on parts.

She handed out some good praise for the trailer as it was taking shape and once it was finished.

Thanks Terri

A good friend of mine from back in my A&P school days.

He was the one who gave me the jogger he found on craigslist and offered suggestions when I was stumped on how to build something.  The jogger provided many of the parts for the trailer tongue/shopping cart handle setup.

Thanks Bill.

Thanks to many on this site and the internet in general.

BruceS for nicads.

Paul Knox, (aka Knoxie on sites like endless-sphere.com and visforvoltage.com) for taking the time to answer what probably seemed to him like a stupid question from a noob on the Currie drive system.

Improvements

I should have made the trailer a little narrower and that is doable.

I would like it to be shorter also but the chain drive is already so short that it's a little out of whack in the low gears.  The only way around this would be a complicated system to move the motor at the same time as you're shifting gears or install a multi-geared hub such as a Sram DualDrive, Shimano Nexus, etc.  A geared hub would probably require some type of stepper motor for the remote shift.

I suppose a suspension system could be installed but the trailer really isn't bad as is... in fact...

I like it!

Comments, questions?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:08:28 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: HEAT/SC v1.2 (Long post)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
nice work..........

you ever check out youtube.com ??

never ending videos of chainsaws -weed wackers and elect. bike conversions there..

even pusher trailers simualer to yours---fun stuff...

hmmm....   just picked up a used chainsaw ?????????
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:29:44 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
Hi Zap

Nicely done.

That rod in the drill is threaded ? it doesn't look it , but it must be.

Its very cool.

I've often thought how well a mini Alternator would work as a motor , using an RC type drive system.the main reason for using this type of setup is that i've heard the efficiency of those motors is very high , which would increase battery life a lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:28:38 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »
Hello ZAP!

Very nice write up!! How are you controlling the charge for the batt packs? any thoughts of throwing a PV on there with all that sunshine showing up in the pics.

Anytime you're ready for another box of the NiCds drop me a line, and I'll send them your way.

Cheers!!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:17:32 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

zap

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
Thanks guys.

Hiker I really should try and do a video of the trailer but I'm a 'fair weather' rider.  I'm pretty sure the cold weather hasn't set in here like it has there but the last of my snow is finally gone from the 22 or so inches we got a week or so ago.

The rod is threaded willib.  I didn't have any all thread that size so I threaded a rod from a printer.

The RC stuff really seems to be taking off and it was reading a lot the RC stuff on endless-sphere that made up my mind to go the 'geared' route.

Those lithium are amazing Bruce.  About 15 years ago I picked up two Toshiba laptop batteries at compusa off the wonderful clearance table.  They were still in their shipping boxes and I couldn't pass them up for $2.50 each.

I sent one to a friend who had a Toshiba with a bad battery and tore apart the remaining one.  Made a little flashlight out of one cell and that thing would burn for hours.  Took some of the other cells and made a pack for a metal detector whose NiCd pack was just about dead... amazing run time.

For now I think I'm set on batteries.  I'd be interested if you ever get any higher amperage cells.  allelectronics has a good price on some Saft D cells but by the time I was ready to buy, their stock had dwindled and they didn't have enough cells to do me any good.

The lithium came with a dedicated charger.  What's amazing to me is that only about half of that plastic box is filled with cells.  The BMS is tiny and the about half of the pack is empty.  The Europa is basically a retooled Lee Iococca/EV Global E-bike and they left the battery pack the same size and threw a lithium in place of the original SLA brick.

I never ran the Europa completely flat but one ride got me into the red with very little pedaling.  IIRC, it was around 18 miles... I think it topped out around 18mph on the flat.

I did think about PV for the top... we do get a lot of sunshine here.  The only panels I have here are some old, tired Arco 45watters.  It would be tough to mount three for 36v but two probably wouldn't be bad for 24v.

I'm also toying with the idea of one of the small Honda, Yamaha, or Kipor generators... hehe... weeeeeeeeeee!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:37:06 AM by zap »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
VW solar panels?

Make sure the cells are the same size for all seriesed PVs.  Some have larger cells than others.

Gosh.  VW PVs are 42 cells.  Bit of mental math.  Carry the 11...

Two series 42 cell VW PVs, minus 0.7V diode drop, and the peak power is 39V, or 13V per 12V string in a 36V string.

Two might work for a 36V bank?  Not so much for serious charging, but wouldn't hurt for a boost while driving or at the grocery store?

This post got me looking at this bicycle stuff.

Dude on ebay has a complete 66/70/80cc gas kit, with about everything needed, for like $110.

And I am tempted.

G-

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:54:29 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
ZAP;

I am beginning to "play" with Li's a as well.

They get rescued from laptops that say the batt packs is bad. I test them individually then rebuild the packs. only size I currently have would not push the e-scooter more than 2 inches.

Amanda probably has the highest knowledge of the Li's she's using LiPos for here scoot and 4-wheeler

I'll keep you in mind if/when the NiCds go to higher density.

STILL A great write up!!

Cheers!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:21:16 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Zap, I Love this, great stuff.

I remember TomW suggesting such a 'pushing' trailer idea a year or so ago.

It makes sense, batery storage is increased significantly.

That geared motor your using (Currie) - what sort of price can you get them for in the U.S?

I'm intersted in acquiring one, to here in the U.K please.

email

ben at gotwind.org

Cheers.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:22:47 PM by gotwind2 »

zap

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
G- I was on my bike a few months ago and rode by a gal who was going the opposite way from me.  I'm not sure what kind of bike gas kit she had but it was actually pretty quiet and she was moving along smartly.

There was a guy somewhere here in the Denver area who had a motor kit that fit in a bike's front wheel but I haven't heard anything about it since last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RevoPower

BTW... got any extra VW panels lying about? :)  I've seen a few on craigslist but they're never cheap.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:59:39 PM by zap »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:06:31 PM »
Has anyone seen the new Lithium Ion Nano Phosphate batteries from A123 systems

there is a guy selling them on ebay .

Either link should get you to his store if you click 'see other items'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=200344551230

he also has some 40 Amp hour cells similar to Amanda's

I would love to have a bank of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prius-Plugin-Conversion-Lithium-Ion-Battery-12V-40AH_W0QQitemZ190327408932QQcmdZ
ViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5065c924

(Crap now i gotta clean the drool off the keyboard)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:06:31 PM by willib »

zap

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Hey Ben, I picked up the motor from all electronics http://www.allelectronics.com/index.php for $45.00.  Shipping on that site is great... $7.00 no matter what you order.  Unfortunately, the motor is out of stock and I don't know if they even ship to the UK.

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors.html has my motor for $99.95

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24-volt-450-watt-brushless-electric-motor-9-tooth-chain-sprocket.
html  has it for $94.99.

I've seen them on sale at one of the above for around $70 and again, not sure about shipping to the UK.

There are a few posts about the motor at endless-sphere.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3249

I think the motor is, or is identical to a Unite MY1018z???

A place you might want to snoop around is http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:20:19 PM by zap »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »
Very cool, extraordinary write up.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:29:07 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »
These things look something like a "Whizzer" (sp?)when finished.

Seller 'boygofast', item example #150387438778.

Silly, but I think its cool.

Got a few VW PVs left.  

"There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago".

Happy Veteran's Day.

G-

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:32:15 PM by ghurd »

JoeWXYZ

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
Zap,

I enjoyed reading your post. Well done. I didn't read anything about brakes in the trailer. Do you slow the unit and charge the battery pack with the motor?

Joseph.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:36:16 PM by JoeWXYZ »

zap

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03:04 AM »
Thanks fabricator, thanks Joe, glad you enjoyed it.

The trailer has no brakes and the controller has no regen capability and even if it did I would need to disable the gear cluster's built in freewheel.

From the things I've read online, regenerative braking isn't all that great for bicycles since the weights involved are rather small.

The only grocery trip to date was about a 35lb load.  It's almost entirely uphill to that particular grocery store so the trip home was mostly gravity powered.

There are a few stop signs that I try to coast through if possible (I know... bad juju on my part... kids, don't try this at home!)

The trailer weighs 45lbs, the bike is 40lbs plus about 170lbs of human controller.

Nearly 300lbs total being stopped by about 2 square inches of 20 year old (i.e.hard) brake pad.

It doesn't sound safe but even on the steep part of the return trip at 25mph I still felt safe.

I probably need to try a few emergency stops...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:03:04 AM by zap »

zap

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »
You might want to do a search on those cells.  I think it was at endless-sphere where they were saying those might not be the real deal... or possibly factory seconds?

Even at $5 a pop they're too expensive for me.

Commanda has some nice batteries.  All the RC stuff is looking good to, such as the Zippy flight packs.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:30:05 AM by zap »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
Yeah he says the 3200 mAh Li ion  Nano Phosphate cells are used .

The regular Li Ion ones he says are new.

I looked up the zippy flight packs . The discharge current is pretty amazing for a battery. 120A continuous for the Polyquest 6000mAh 2S 25C Lipoly

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7163

Thats more than some of the supercaps.

http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/datasheets/DATASHEET_MC_SERIES_1009361.pdf

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:31:51 AM by willib »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
Great build! I added you to the "push trailer" thread over at Endless-Sphere.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9855&start=0

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:05:04 PM by spinningmagnets »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
Hey Zap,

Am I crazy, or did you put a reply here containing the word 'hazel', which I SAW, and is not here now?

G-
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:20:20 PM by ghurd »

zap

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
Yes I did... hmmmmmm

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

I also added something about (Obamanomics).  Maybe THAT is why this site is so screwed up... the government has taken over control of it?  After all... they do mess up most things they touch.

Either that or they're now snooping sites like this for offensive remarks and removing them?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:44:59 PM by zap »

zap

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:54:36 PM »
Glad you liked it spin.  I've always thought about joining endless-sphere but I think all my round tuits are being held up in the mail.

I scoured the web when I first started this looking for ideas and saw a lot of the trailer posts at e.s.

When I was just about done I actually found a trailer/shopping cart for sale at Wike bike trailers.

http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_shopper_bicycle_trailer.php  Unfortunately I could never find a decent picture of how they flip their handle.  That was a tough part of the build for me and my first attempt broke after little use.  That's the reason for the "v1.2"

Also found out they had a "Woody Wagon" model.  But since I'd already made up the license plate....

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:54:36 PM by zap »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »
I'm a year late and 50K+ in debt, but I felt this story needed a boost to the top. It's that good.

Nice work. Solar for rev B?  ;D

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

zap

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »
Thanks Steve... I guess I can't complain too much about a "bump" like that ;)

No solar plans for now.  The footprint is so small (as it was intended) I doubt solar would increase range much at all.

I do have another "shopping transportation" idea I toyed with towards the end of summer but haven't worked on it at all in quite a few months.