Author Topic: dual stator  (Read 1764 times)

beefy

dual stator
« on: December 09, 2008, 04:16:02 AM »
Hello
I want to put a 3rd magnet rotor plate between 2 similar stators with the magnets insync with outer rotors (poles same). I think I want an aluminum plate with thicker magnets inlaid through it then cased In resin. Or should it be steel? Will the 1x2x0.5 magnets be as good for this? Or is 1x2x0.75 better? Maybe I should just stack two complete pmgs on one hub which would double the output with double the torque applied. I've searched the web for ideas and haven't found much. Thanks. Matt r PA USA
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:16:02 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: dual stator
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »
This has been talked about 3000 times. Try google searching this site.

Why dont you just build a larger diameter single axial alternator. Why is there such a need to keep the diameter small? I dont get it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:28:50 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
Just think how much faster you would be going if you doubled the diameter of the merygo-round, and how many more people it would hold.

More magnets going faster makes more power. It will actuly make more power at lower rpm. Lower cutin wind speed.

Thats why I'm building a 12" diameter 14 magnet per disc PMA. Primarily because I'm using very week ceramic magnets and they need all the help they can get.

It will make more power this way then if I built the way you are sugjesting.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:07:25 PM by Jerry »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:24:45 AM »
While there are negatives in this format, mainly cost of extra magnets it does work. There are positives but at less eficiency for quantity of magnets.

However the middle magnetic disc must be steel and requires magnets on both sides, thus the reason most cry fowel.

We tried moulding them in resin and they flew away, but this was not the only problem.

Most cry increase the rotor diamiter, fine but this can become a problem if there is any run out on the discs. There are positive as well in increased diamiter, theory is fine but practice follows some middle ground particually when it involves DIY.

While I am a lone wolf on this I will be building another duel rotor, perhaps fortunatly I am prepared and able to buy the magnets necessary. Because I live off renewable energy I see the benefit in investing in infastructure.

Somewhere in my diary you may find a trail of my failures.

allan down under

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:24:45 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.