Author Topic: Motorhome Wind Power Generator  (Read 7001 times)

gstinson

Motorhome Wind Power Generator
« on: February 23, 2005, 04:05:08 AM »
Hi:

I stumbled across you're great web page, but have much to learn about wind power. (and discussion forums)

I'm not sure if you have the time to give a small bit of advise, but I would like to thank any of you in advance if you can.

I am looking for fix-and-forget type (or close to) wind generator of 8 to 15 amps/hour charging - to supplement an existing 240 watt solar panel system (currently 14amps max) supplying 3 x 90 AMP GelCell Batteries on a Motorhome.  Also currently use a 30 amp controller between batteries and solar panels.

Can you recommend a make/model of wind generator that might be suitable?

Regards and thanks again.

Gordon

gordon@nu-bridge.co.nz

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 04:05:08 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Motorhome Wind Power Generator
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »
"I am looking for fix-and-forget type (or close to) wind generator of 8 to 15 amps/hour"

Probably no such thing, at least none worth buying. The fix-and-forget type is what I mostly mean. Most everyone around here is building thier own, on this board I mean, so lots of info here how to build them.

Since you don't want much power (for now :) ) best thing might be the motor conversions. Take any normal AC motor cut the armature flat for 4 equal sides, glue on 4 magnets put it back together and mount a set of blades on the shaft. You'll have an AC output from that so you run the wires down the tower and use bridge rectifiers to convert it to DC and into your controller.

Neo magnets are the best, but most everyone is looking to get higher power all the time, at 12v your looking less than 200 watts. That should be pretty easy to build with some reading here.

Of course there is more you should know and read before doing this, but that sums it up pretty fast and is basically the system. What volts etc.. are other things to figure.

If you can find a decent DC motor like from a tread mill, high volts low RMP, you can pretty much use those as they are with a set of blades.

I have an industrial motor here, 180vdc, 1725rpm, 2hp, 11 amps or more. Plate says 11-6amps actaully. This produces alot of power turning by hand, but it's stiff and I have to check the bearings. Something like this with some blades is perfect, but will probably produce more power than you said you wanted. This one is to heavy also at about 75lbs just for the motor, but for me it should make lots of power and weight won't be a problem.

As for the fix and forget, chances are sometime anything will have a problem and if you build your own then you know how to fix it too. Buy one and need a part you may have problems. Ship back the whole thing to be repaired or wait forever to get a new part?

If you wanted to build a rotor type, take a brake rotor, glue on magnets, wind up some coils of magnet wire, cast in a fiberglass resin with some matting and also have a metal behind the coils to pull the magnet flux through. Or build dual rotor using a brake rotor on eaxch side of the coils. Lots on that on otherpower.com

I buy my magnets from  here myself. Wire too.

You can make your own blades various ways, some pretty easy, or Jerry sells some good blades pretty reasonable.

As for cost, it is certain that anything you build will cost less than buying something already made, and most likely work far better too. Proably only real exceptions would be buying an older large unit or buying a homebuilt from someone around here if they were selling one.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 11:05:40 PM by nothing to lose »

domwild

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:54:28 AM »
Seeing that you are a South-East Asian like myself (Perth, WA), why not try salvaging a Fisher&Paykel washer and using the parts from that? There is lots of info on building one on this forum. If you cannot find out what I mean with these cryptic comments, email me.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:54:28 AM by domwild »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »
Hi Gordon.

I use the Ametek 50 volt tape drive or servo motor on my motor home. I do alot of ac motor conversion also but don't recamend them for motor home use. Even if they don't have cogging they will have a anoying cogging sound that transfers into the motor home. It starts with a low rumble to a higher growl the a whining sound.

I prefure the TDM. I use one and it keeps by 6 Optima red top batteries charged up in suitable wind. I don't have solar on my motor home. I will when i win the big lotto.

I built a TDM genny for my neighbors 5th wheel. Built one for  a pickup truck camper and one for a sail boat. We got the weight down to 18 lbs complete on the sail boat.

My blades do work very well on TDMs. They are $15 each and a wood hub for $10.

I just make a tilt up mast that rest on the bumper and ataches to the ladder with a clamp. They blade comes off with 3 alin screws. There is a quike disconect fot the mill and a easy atach to the mast. Its easy to put up when camped and easy to take down for the road.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:50:48 AM by Jerry »

johnlm

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »
Since it sounds as if you are not in the mood to build one of these and likely would rather buy one "set it up and forget it"  I will offer the following.

You did not state if you had some kind of physical size in mind, or if you would be using this thing at all kinds of campgrounds at various locations with all kinds of wind conditions.  Considering these requirements will make a big difference whether a wind electric generatore is really the right way to go.  Since you stated you want 8 to 15 amps charging capabilty you should know that to get this kind of power in relatively low (8-10 mph) winds it will take a reasonable sized machine which will require a reasonable sized tower etc that may not be very easy to port around and set up everytime you pull into a camp site.  Im talking at least an 8 ft diameter up to a 12 ft diameter propeller machine here, weighing maybe 25 to 50 lbs.  Now if your looking to be only at sites where there is alot of wind (15-20) mph you could probably get away with a 5 to 6 ft diameter model.  Be aware that commercial wind generator companies usually rate their power output at pretty high (and usually rarely occurring) wind speeds of 25 to 30 mph.  So you can find units with 4 to 5 ft diameter blades rated at 200 watts.  But you wont get this power camping under a grove of trees somewhere.

Maybe its just me, but when I envision a wind generator on an RV (at any old camping site) I think of a smaller 3 to 5 ft unit that can be mounted (up maybe as high as 20 ft) on masting like heavy guage TV masts and raised and lowered pretty easily.  With a machine this size at modest wind speeds your output would be in the 2 to 4 amp range on a reasonable day.  Possibly another solar panel is a better choice.

Now if you have a more permanent location in mind, with plenty of room for guy wires extending out 25 to 30 ft on every side of your RV then a bigger unit, closer to your charging requirements might be feasable.  Hope this give you some of the info your looking for.

John

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:52:41 AM by johnlm »

johnlm

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 11:40:59 AM »
Since Jerry posted a good example of what I was talking about above my post, you can see what I was talking about.  Looks like a smaller (4 ft or so) unit to me.  I suppose if you wanted alot of power out of one of these smaller units, you could leave it raised while driving down the road . LOL just joking.

John
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 11:40:59 AM by johnlm »

picmacmillan

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »
hey! jerry...if it were me,  i would tell my wife, if she makes me ride on the bumper like you are, at least give me a helmet :D i am trying to be funny? also, seeing you wearing shorts reminds me of what folks say to me when i am in shorts...they take one look at my skinny legs and ask "Are those you're legs or are you riding a chicken?... :D :D...pickster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 12:25:30 PM by picmacmillan »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »
And by the way the genny is facing, she is driving in reverse!

So I recommend standing on the FRONT bumper.

G-
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 01:24:46 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

picmacmillan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 03:38:10 PM »
thats a tough call there stinson...i was thinking maybe all you need is a little more solar...some of us have been buying the solar cells on ebay for cheap and building our own panels...also was thinking, maybe all you need is a couple more good batteries and that would cover you, instead of all the work of building something like what we do....most times when you go camping there is hydro hookups so you could recharge batteries, and  once the batteries are put where you want them, there is no upkeep.....pickster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:38:10 PM by picmacmillan »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 04:20:51 PM »
and of course the old maytag has to get in  here--its always windy down on the coast.

great place to check out my latest gen..not to mention all the trails to hike on..

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 04:20:51 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 05:04:50 PM »
Do you have to stand on the tire and what's the bridge clearence
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 05:04:50 PM by tecker »

hobot

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 10:42:46 PM »
For a ready made low to no maintaine unit, look under

sailboat and yatch supply. Maybe with a gang of em

you might get your amps at good campsite. A few 100 watt

max outputs for the man handable sizes. ExpSendive.

Speaking of ganging, remember that design with like 7

small triblades on the same shaft.

hobot

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:42:46 PM by hobot »

gonedrovin

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 03:57:07 AM »
Hi..another Asian here..from Newcastle...interested inb your mention of the F & P motor. I only read about these yesterday, on this site. and realise I saw one on the footpath last week for the local annual "Clean-Up"..lol...been driving past it for 3 or 4 weeks. Too late now..clean up happened this morning.

Anyhow...you reckon they're ok?..just any one or a specific model. Is there much competieion to get 'em?

gonedrovin

« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:57:07 AM by gonedrovin »

gonedrovin

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 04:01:02 AM »
does this only work while you are driving along?

Gonedrovin

« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 04:01:02 AM by gonedrovin »

gstinson

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 01:27:09 AM »
Hey, you guys are great - thanks for the replies.

I move around a lot in my small 17 ft camper and living in it at the moment (8 months now) down here in New Zealand.  The reason I thought 8-15 amps/hour max charging is that I did not want to blow up my current controller.  From my BP solar panels 3 x 80 watt (up to 14 amps/hr) is coming in.  This BP Solar GCR 3000 controller is only 30 amp, which is currently fine with the max of 14 amp input from the 3 x 80 watt solar panels at 4.5 amp/hr each.

On the net I saw Southwest Windpower advertising they're new AIR-X unit.  They say it's more reliable (3 yr wnty) than they're previous modles and quieter.  At 13 lbs it's light with a rotor diameter of 46".  The output is 400 watts at 28 mph and the graph shows something like 50 watts at 14 mph.  I thought this might help for trees, shade or low sun levels and night time on the solar system.

What concerned me was the 400-500 watt output in sudden gusts or extended high winds sending out too much power to my controller, along with the incoming solar power and doing damage.  I could be away on a walk, sleeping or fishing for 4-34 hours and I'm not there to see what's happening.

I see models from Aerogen, Southwest and I'm not sure if they are the solution.  Nor do I know how much noise they might generate on the camper in those idilic beach type settings.  I currently have 3 x 90 amp GEL cells, but if just using the top 15 to 40% of they're supply, it's not enough power for my long and late evenings with TV, Computer, CPAP breather and other toys.  What's a guy to do...

Hope this adds to help make clear the environment I'm working in.

Cheers and thanks again!

Gordon

gordon@nu-bridge.co.nz

« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 01:27:09 AM by gstinson »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 07:58:06 AM »
Most solar controllers will not handle a wind gennerator.

Most owners of smaller (400w) factory mills are not exactally happy with them. Search here for air-403 and similar. Jerry has a couple factory units.

G-
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 07:58:06 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller