Author Topic: twin wind turbine  (Read 4989 times)

northkorea

twin wind turbine
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:37:58 PM »
hi all

i was wondering could make a double turbine instead of one stator and two disk rotors

have two stators and 4 disk rotors i thought that would be to heavy of rotors but then

i seen that someone used brake disks witch is rather heavy so i figured i could just

make the disk rotors out of polyester resin and put thin metal backing plates would it

work and generate twice as much as a normal one here is the drawing of what it would look like

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 08:37:58 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: twin wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »
This has been discussed a number of times.

For a given amount of magnetic material and copper - the main expense of the genny - you get twice the power from a single set of rotors that you get from a lower-radius double set.

Price performance of the larger single is even better than 2x, since magnetic material tends to cost less per unit volume in larger sizes.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 03:34:19 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »
Your going to take your magnetic flow down Quiet a bit and depending on the allthread for all the support . The ferrous material in back of the magnets focuses what would normally go to the side forward and bonds the pole connected to the ferrous material to the magnets on bothsides if you put steel fileings in the between the two facing rotors

you'll see almost no filings gather to the side and without the steel backing they go everywhere.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:02:25 PM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »
Ignore what I just said except the part about the allthread .Your picture was very small and I misinterpreted what you were discussing .sorry
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:06:38 PM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:20:15 PM »
 Bigger is not always better with wind generators. Alignment and close tolerences are in use with these . Drag at full amperage will probably be a factor with a doubled up rotor.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:20:15 PM by tecker »

makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »
On top of what they say it'll also be too unstable.  You're putting too much weight too far out.  Allthread won't be able to stand up to it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:02:25 PM by makenzie71 »

Countryboy

2670 KB pic? Yikes!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »
2,670 KB picture?  You gotta be joking...

I'm on satellite broadband, and it still took some time for that pic to load.

I can only imagine the pain you have caused dial-up users.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:24:39 PM by Countryboy »

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »
northkorea i removed your comment with the picture in it becouse the picture was way to big over 2000k pictures posted here have to be under 150k at the absolute max. 100k or less is even better.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:29:58 PM by kurt »

northkorea

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:48:10 PM »
well i want to use 1/2 inch mags in a 1 inch resin disk so couldnt i used 1 or more

inch plastic for the backing that would take away some of the of weight and put a fair sized gap between the two center rotors then i could just use the best hub and spindle i can find no matter the cost and use titanium bolts
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 08:48:10 PM by northkorea »

dinges

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 02:34:51 AM »
I'd use a magnesium alloy though.

"then i could just use the best hub and spindle i can find no matter the cost and use titanium bolts"

In one thread you say you want to spend as little money as possible and scrounge everything, including copper wire (that costs 5$/kg...) And in this thread only the best is good enough and you're going for titanium bolts.

Peter smells a rat. A big one. Someone's fishing...

Ah well. As long as you have fun, I suppose.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:34:51 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
 I think for clairity's sake I'll say that the middle two rotor would not have to seperate at all but instead be back to back that would eliminate a bit .Titanium is not an option ,for me at least .If your stuck on this design build it and see if  it works .. If it doesnt work you have some parts on the grrround to rrrebuild with.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:05:33 AM by tecker »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »
northkorea,

if you put steel backing on each rotor you could run two stators.
if you left the steel backing off the two central rotors you could run three stators.

unless your a machinest, it's an alighnment nightmare.

lots of people have experimented along these lines including my self.

it can be made to work.

but as the othere have said it would be more stable and generate more power if all the mags were on two disks and you had a single stator.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:23:33 AM by electrondady1 »

northkorea

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:27 AM »
k yes i did say i was going to use scrap parts but then i thought i wanted to

make it as best as possible cause iv been looking around and some peoples designs

aint to good and they alway have problems as it turns out i can get steal for cheap prices the only things that were gonna be expensive was the magnets then i thought

all together the alternator is gonna cost much at all if a used scrap parts an i dont got a budget im just gonna spend however much it cost so i could then go get a good hub

and spindle the strongest i could get and bye some titanium bolts thows would cost a pit but whatever and i seen that for a 10 foot turbine the used brake disks witch

are heavy so that got me to think that i cant have to magnet rotors to light cause

then it would create problems so i figured i could make a double turbine that would ad the weight im missing im new to this so i think what they said up there was that the two iner magnet rotors would be focusing to each other and i would lose power so i

thought then i would just make the disk rotors in molds or resin 1 inch thick the mags

are only 1/2 inch thick put 1 inch thick plastic as the backing to add weight

and to split the two iner rotors apart by two inches plus the inch from the two rotors

to make tree inch gap now u guy cant be telling me that the mags will focus on each other now theres a three inch gap and the wait aint to much so it shouldnt be unstable

anything alse im missing here

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:32:27 AM by northkorea »

northkorea

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
can magnets be cut?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:13:00 PM by northkorea »

jacquesm

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 04:27:41 PM »
anything can be cut, with the right tools. Cutting neo's isn't going to make you happy though.

As for the rant above, I can't make heads nor tales of it, I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to say really but when you've figured out what you wanted to say feel free to try again :)

This is not a flame, it's just that english is my second language and sometimes things that are perfectly clear to others make no sense to me so please do not feel offended.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:27:41 PM by jacquesm »

northkorea

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
well what would a need to cut a magnet and will the magnet lose its polarity if

i do cut it cause i want to cut a mag into smaller pieces to try and make a

wind turbine model

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:39:05 PM by northkorea »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »

Acquiring magnets is always a bitter pill . You can shop ebay for some small mags and use pvc blades and plywood to proto with Two sawblades maybe, you could use ceiling fans for a proto shaft and bearings put one side of the ceiling fan hub to support the inner and and make an outer . Start with a single rotor to get an idea what your up against . Start small and cheap and enjoy the learning experience. I think you are looking at trying to produce household current .That seems to be a common desire when matching your needs in VA to the the problem . Factor in some low voltage into your equation and a small start works for lights and electronics the cooling and heating can be delt with in other ways at first . Just have fun with it and once again enjoy the ride. Your experieces will be importanty to the people you mentor. good luck
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:02:34 PM by tecker »

jimjjnn

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:55:04 PM »
I think NK is asking what he needs to cut a magnet.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:55:04 PM by jimjjnn »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »
Someone should point out all the dangers. Toxic stuff, flash fires, etc.

Then, after the coating is broken, they rust very fast.

Buy new magnets.

G-

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:46:14 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

northkorea

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »
i want to but i dont know where they sell magnets in winnpeg manitoba and i cant buy

from the net cause i dont have i credit card i had one but interest was to high so i canceled it im thinking of getting another one some time i geuss i just got to look around the city phone book
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:52:22 PM by northkorea »

dinges

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 05:15:16 AM »
Ghurd,

i'm surprized you say this cause i thought you were the king of reusing and recycling old components especially harddiskmagnets anyway i have never been too fond of reusing them they're great for other purposes but if i wanted to build a generator only the best is good enough and let's face it harddisk magnets are not the best yes they're good enough for harddisks but i only want the best stuff for windgenerators besides it's dangerous to break them shrapnel can fly around and get into your eye or you could hurt yourself when chips fly off and those chips can really hurt they say and there is that rust thing i've got a few magnets that have the nickel coating off and they rust very very fast so that's why i want to buy magnets but i don't have any money and the banks won't lend me because they say i won't repay them but that's not true i would repay them if i had the money it's just that i'm having a hard time right now i tell them that and i say i will repay i just need money for magnets and copper wire but the bank still says no so now i'm stuck and have to mess around with old harddisk drive magnets so i'd better buy me a diamond saw and angle grinder that way i can use those free magnets and while i am at it i'd better buy a big box of bandaids too and some safety glasses and some gloves and a dust respirator to prevent myself from poisoning myself with the dust and cutting myself with the sharp bits or getting sharp bits in my eye there now i must end here because mommy says it's time for my medicine gotta run bye

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:15:16 AM by dinges »

northkorea

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
well it looks like im gonna have to do the same thing harddrive mags are the only thing i can get i went to a few stores some would give the old harddrive some wouldnt so

thats no good but ill have enough soon and getting a saw sounds better then breaking them
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:32:55 AM by northkorea »

dinges

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »
yes i agree we all must make do with the things we have available if you cant afford new magnets old hd magnets are a good alternative however free magnets may not be so free anymore after you take in account all the effort you have to expend and materials you have to buy like an angle grinder and diamond saw i dont know if you have them but if you dont you would have to buy them or alternatively you could clamp the magnets midway in a vice and give the extending part a good whack with the hammer this tends to break them midway but sometimes they break in the wrong place anyway this is a much cheaper way than grinding them through but the risk is a bit bigger you decide.

<dinges gasps for air>

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:59:22 PM by dinges »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 06:04:48 AM »
Free magnets?  

Figure the cost of gas and hours to collect the HDs, a few sets of T-7/8/9 bits, hours & hours of removing them, cutting or breaking them, etc.

Then allow for the large percentage of broken, strange sized, too thin, or otherwise unusable magnets.

A lot of time and money, for a few mismatched hodge-podge magnets.

If you have the slightest difficulty obtaining HDs in large quantities containing similar magnets...

Buying magnets WILL be cheaper.

(I was waiting for Peter to pass out!)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:04:48 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller