Author Topic: DrDave's Solar stuff  (Read 4705 times)

DrDave

DrDave's Solar stuff
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I started with a 5w panel from my automatic gate opener.  It puts out about .34amps

which will charge a small battery.  I had a 400w inverter, and have used it in the car many times for the laptop, or small power tools.  That 400w inverter hooked to a bank of 5 amp/hr UPS batteries works pritty good for stuff I had sitting around the garage.

I wanted more power, so off to ebay I ran.  I did some googling and thought I knew what I wanted. Even ran across this board and read some very interesting things.

After a fiew weeks of watching the PV listed on ebay I bid on two 30w panels.

That would be like 10 times the amps I currenlty had.  Turns out that I got a really bad deal.  These were solar panels with magnifying lenses to up the watts.

BIG Mistake !!!!  Don't buy any panels that are from Linwei Li [linwei@ccmfg.com] one ebay or that made by, or Pacific Solar 44843 Fremont Blvd., Fremont, CA 94539 | Tel: 510-979-0112 | Fax: 510-979-1930 Copyright © 2006 Pacific SolarTech.

They look like they are made good, but they don't put out as stated.

I put an amp meter on both of the ones I recieved and at max they made about half the amps of a 30w panel, and only if pointed directly into the sun.  Any angle and you were s.o.l.  After much hassel, I was able to get the purchase price refunded, but I lost shipping fees.  I posted my issues in the remarks section for that seller, and sure enough others got burned too.  I have recieved emails from others with the same issue with those panels.  One guy had them on his roof, paralleled with his other panels, It didn't occure to him to check them first, till he saw my remarks. He tested and said he was getting like .3 amps from his, and that he was trying to get his money back.  Turns out Pacific Solar no longer exists, because the product didn't work, and that some employee is dumping them on ebay.

Next I bid on an 80w BP. It had a good reputation, and I am very impressed with output.  It easyly puts out 4amps at 20V and I have seen it got as high as 4.5 on good days.

Next, I needed a controller.  This time I did some more searching and asked some guys around here.  I decided to go the www.ghurd.info route and bough two kits and the variable voltage regulator to help test things.  Ghurd has been a great help, Thanks again ghurd.  I am not exactly a soldering iron kinda guy, but I made it through without any Harry Pottering (magic smoke) so far.  Here are some photos.

This it the ghurd controler  hooked to a p-fet and a Schottky.  I have some extra heat sinks waiting for the next step on the left side.  Both the Green and Yellow LEDs are on, cause its fully charged, and dumping.

This it the HF $3 multi meter, hooked in just for measuring amps.

And another multi meter, for volts.  Starts dumping at 14.4 right on the money.

I have another controler to build and test, and have to work out my battery banks and wiring.

I ebayed a 1200w inverter that is hooked to a car battery(freebe).  I use it to power some of my shop/garage.  It can't swing my 240v air compressor,or the fridge, but it will run the saws, drills, buffer to wax the boat, and even florecent lighting.

I need to work on where to fuse things and where to ground, and not ground things.

I planned on one big heat sink, ghurd talked me out of that mistake, thanks.

I was also reading about using a diode(crowbar) and fuse together between the controler and battery just to prevent a Harry Potter on crossing the + and - on the battery.  Not sure what diode is right for that?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:54:00 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: DrDave's Solar stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
DrDave;

Nice. Those controllers are handy little buggers aren't they:-)

Have fun with it.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:44:40 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »
Looks good DrDave.

The kit has the 1N4007 D1 diode to protect it from reverse connection.  No need for a crowbar.

I like those red and green felt washers on the battery, but still manage to get things backwards sometimes.

"Harry Potter".  LOL!

G-

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:03:57 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DrDave

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
Update:

Second controller is built.  

Magic Smoke, None.  But the variable voltage tester got interesting for sure.

I am planning on using the second controller as a LVD.  Adjusted it to trigger at a lower voltage.  Then use it to turn on/off a relay that activates a load device.

Went to RS to get relay, bough 3 different sizes.  Started testing the larger one, 12v 66ohms, 30a.  Figured it's draw to be .18 amps.  Add that to my .56 amp idle for inverter is .74amps  with a 1 amp load on the inverter that is less than 2 amp drain, I think.  I know the relay seems like a lot, but I want it to last, if the load grows or surges.

So I was using the variable volt to tune in the controller a second time around, and see if it would indeed activate the relay with no load on it.

Well, after a miniute or so, the 7809 got a little hot and BANG !!!

I heard something ricochet off the back wall after flying threw the den and the living room.  Harry Potter for sure.  Than means sparks.

Here is a photo of the 7809 with the right half missing.

Well, time to put a order in with ghurd for some more spare parts.

I might be on to something here....

A book with a Yellow cover titled, "PV for Dummies, what not to do!".  Might even cover costs of colateral damages.

Note to self: If it gets to hot to touch, It might need a heat sink.

PS. Ghurd, your right about the crowbar, no need, diode works great.  Burned two fuses earlyer, before figured out that I had the test battery wired in backwards.  Good thing I actually put fuse blocks on it the day before.

DrDave

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:12:46 PM by DrDave »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:48:34 AM »
What do you need the 7809 regulator for, what did you have it hooked up to?

on another note

a 1 amp 120vac load on an inverter is a 10 amp 12vdc load on the battery

the voltage is 10 times more and the amps will be 10 times more too.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:48:34 AM by wooferhound »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
No idea what happened.  Maybe spikes from the relay coil?

"Don't do that!" - Dumbledore?

Woof, It is a variable voltage supply to set the controller circuit at an exact voltage.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/VVcontrol2.jpg

G-

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:01:35 AM by ghurd »

fungus

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »
Were you powering the relay through the 7809? .. if so it looks like it overheated without any heatsink on it :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:05:46 AM by fungus »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »
DrDave;

Bummer on the smoke. Why the 7809? are you trying to clamp the output voltage to be only 9Vdc? if you pushed this to try and put out 12Vdc I think it was a bit beyond where it should've been.

Try maybe a LM317 for variable output? and heatsink, still have a few burns from playing with them and no heatsink.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:45:25 AM by Bruce S »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 09:54:23 AM »
"Why the 7809?"  Because that's what I sent him!

Simplest and Cheapest solution I could think up. See the link above.

It is set up sort of the same as a 317, but the output window is fixed between 9 to 15.5V.

No reason to go higher or lower.  And it won't smoke the controller circuit.

I have a feeling there may have been an issue with the connections in the mosfet/relay coil/flyback diode area.

G-

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:54:23 AM by ghurd »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
Interesting, I was pretty much sure that if you pushed that beyond the 9V it'd pop.

Will gather up some stuff off my desk and give it a try.

great! another trial for my boss to give me the "eye" about :=)

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:27:04 PM by Bruce S »

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
  Bruce S

Wait till BOSS is asleep,saves headaches that way. Please don't hit me with that iron frying pan,might break the pan HEHE.

Sorry could not help it.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:39:03 PM by elvin1949 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31:26 AM »
Elvin,

Should've stated which "BOSS" :-)Hboss versus Jboss....

that would be an interesting pay-per-vue (:]

DrDave, sorry getting off track ;)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:31:26 AM by Bruce S »

DrDave

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Hey guys thansk for the comments.

At this point I have to post a hold harmless for I wouldn't want ghurd to get any flack for my lack of soldering skills.  

The 7809 is used only in testing of the charge controler kit to make sure it stops and starts at the voltage you want it to.  Its not part of the live system.  Ghurd sent me another and I was able to rebuild the voltage regulator.  It worked great on my charge controller.  And then I tried it on my second controler kit, and it Harry Pottered again.  My second kit has a short in it somewhere.  I check the amp draw on it and its way out of wack.  So I built a third kit and a new voltage regulator last night and all is well now.

So I am going post some updated photos.

This photo shows my 400w (green) inverter that I have run some red wired in the vent hole and paralleled to the on off switch.  These wires got to the switch side of the Black relay.  The Coil side of the relay goes to the LVD which activated the relay at the desired voltage.

This photo shows the charge controler on the left of the black board, the LVD is on the Right side of the black board.  The red meter is measuring amps coming in from the solar panel and the right is volts from the battery.

The Charge controler has a green(power light) on and the yellow(dump)light is off.

The controler is charging the battery because the volts are below 14v at this point.

The LVD controller has both power(green) and active(yellow) LED's on.  That is because the voltage is above the disconnect setting.

This is a close up of the LVD it is just a controller and a FET.

I have a 1.8k resistor in Rx for a 1v hysterisis.

Here the battery is fully(volts at 14v plus, and the charge controller is dumping (yellow led on now).

Note the Amps, higest I have ever seen on 80w panel.  Must be a solar flair or something.

Thanks to ghurd for putting up with all the dumb questions.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:06:00 PM by DrDave »

DrDave

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
The 7809 is only for testing/tuning the controllers.  Turns out I did a bad solder job on one controller, causing it to draw major amps.  That's what caused the 7809 to pop while I was attempting to dial in a bad controller.

New controller working now like a charm.

Which leads me to the next weak link,  Needs more battery...

Thanks all

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:24:12 PM by DrDave »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »
Doc;

Which leads me to the next weak link,  Needs more battery...

Maybe you missed the warning and disclaimer that this field of endeavor is highly addictive.

Opiates pale in comparison to the addictive nature of grabbing your power from nature without the middleman. Just like those same opiates, you constantly need "more" and there is never "enough".

Sadly you have passed the point of no return.

May as well go enjoy the ride.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:48:19 PM by TomW »