Author Topic: My home made Asynchronous Induction generator PLC controller (image heavy)  (Read 9979 times)

jondecker76

A friend of mine owns a business installing and maintaining Asynchronous induction wind turbines. They have been using the same control system since the 1980s. The problem is, some of the older analogue controls are getting hard to get, and they are becoming a reliability issue. Add to that, the local power company is getting very picky on their new installs in regards to failsafes and THD on the line when the alternator is connected to the line. Their old control system simply was not up to the task - and because of this they have been having a very hard time getting new units installed (they have over 70 installations currently).

They asked me to build them a PLC based control system that was robust, adaptable to many different situations and with lots of fail safes built in. They also wanted each unit to have the ability to control 2 wind turbines.  I had never done any PLC programming before, but have a lot of C++ programming experience, so I figured that I would give it a try.

After a couple of months of programming and testing, its finally done! The unit has been operating 2 40KW wind turbines for the last few weeks. The techs from the power company are very happy with the failsafes and the much lower THD that we were able to attain on cutin to the line (due to how much faster the PLC can poll parameters and respond to them - for example the old control system could count 2 pulses for each revolution from the blades to calculate RPM.. The new PLC program counts 500 pulses per revolution). It has also been noticed that the system overall is much more efficient (this design is freewheeling, the old design used the line to spool the wind turbine up to speed, using a lot of power in the process)

Everyone has been so impressed with the unit that I now make and sell these the new units to this company for all of their new installs. They also have sent a letter out to all of their customers (70+) to upgrade their controls if they so desire.

I am going to be building an induction generator from the PrairieTurbines plans, and use this PLC system to control it. I hope to have this done by summer of next year. Another thing to note is that the screen is a touchscreen and makes changing settings very easy!

Now to show it off a bit:

bigpic1

First customers!

bigpic2

The first unit

bigpic3

The old control system - how ugly!

bigpic4

Settings can even be password (PIN) protected

Now some of the interface screens:

(the unit tracks 12 trends (6 per turbine) including windspeed avg last 24 hours, windspeed avg last 24 days, rpm avg last 24 hours, rpm avg last 24 days, grid connected % last 24 hours, grid connected % last 24 days)

you were over the size limits for posting images here on the board both on file size and on pixel size so i had to change some of your pictures to links.
Kurt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:07:00 AM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
plc controller
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »
now isn't that just the coolest thing!

good job :)

i have no background in plc's at all, and only took up stamp micro's about

a year ago.

i decided to morph the two technologies, by taking the control modules and implanting bs2 microcontrollers to make them smart controllers.

the plc manufacture is less than enthusiastic about the project to say the least.

i hope to use it to control a residential trigenerator and manage not only the trigen, but manage the complete system, AC generation, DC battery charging, heat and cooling, and refrigeration.

so when i see someone doing what you have done, i get all excited!

very cool indeed

can you tell me more how your system is used to control the windgenerators?

i understand the monitoring, but don't see how and what you are controlling.

bob g

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:38:40 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

jondecker76

thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 12:25:33 AM »
The controls aren't really all that complicated. More or less broken down, what was needed was:

A way to "Turn On" or "Turn Off" a wind turbine. When a wind turbine is turned on, a brake is released. When it is turned off, a brake is set (the brake is normally closed)

Now, when turned on, the wind turbine will cycle between 2 modes: Standby and online. In standby mode, the wind turbine is just waiting to be spooled up by the wind. Once the wind gets the blades moving, you must monitor the alternator rpm, and connect it to the grid as it crosses the generators syncronous speed (which in our case was around 1800 rpm). Of course, the phase of the alternator will likely not match the phase of the grid at this time. Slamming it to the grid will cause a lot of distortion on the line and could cause a brownout as well. For this reason, we use PWM to slowly connect it to the line. Depending on how fast the rpm is approaching synchronous speed, calculations are performed to command the SCR firing board to cut the turbine to the line as slowly as possible, while not letting it overspeed (as you can see from one of the settings screens, we set our overspeed to 1900 RPM). For reference, the power compand wants the THD on the line to be less than 4% while syncing the turbine to the line. Given how fast the RPM can spool up and only having about 100 RPM leadway, you can see how catching this in time and keeping the distortion down in the process can be very hard. I was somehow lucky enough to get this right on the first try! (I think this was just good luck)

Once connected to the grid, you must determine when to disconnect from the grid (again softly with PWM). Once the RPM goes below syncronous for an adjustable amount of time, then you disconnect from the grid (otherwise the mill will motor and use electricity from the grid). This cycling between standby and online will happen indefinitely.

Then, while running, fault conditions are monitored. Faults such as over rpm of the alternator, excessive windspeed, line voltage/frequency deviation, etc. When this happens the turbine is disconnected from the grid (if it were connected), and the brake is set. Once the fault condition clears a timer commences, after which the turbine is put back into standby mode, free to spool back up and connect to the grid.

Lastly, there are Trip conditions. They are similar to faults, except they don't reset themselves, and require an operator to manually restart the turbine. Examples of trips are:

Sensed bad anemometer (if there is alternator RPM yet no windspeed reading, then it is likely that the anemometer is bad)

Sensed bad encoder (a sudden loss of reading while connected to the grid, or no reading when windspeed is beyond a certain threshhold)

Sensed bad brake (brake is set  yet there is still an alternator RPM reading)

Vibration (Possible ice on blades)

While it sounds simple, it is actually much more involved than one would think. What made it nice to tune in is that every setpoint was made to be adjustable from the touchscreen. That way I didn't have to reprogram something every time something needed tweaked. There are 5 settings screens per wind turbine, and over 30 other operational screens per turbine.

There is also an engineering screen which shows number of relay cycles, runtime hours, etc, as well as a test screen when various inputs and outputs can be overridden.

Also, after a power outage, the turbine will be returned to the last state it was in before the loss of power.

One more interesting statistic - each unit, even with my markup, is actually cheaper than their older analogue units!

I actually made a manual for the unit for them to distribute to their customers. I'll post it on here when i get home from work. It give a better idea of how everything works.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:25:33 AM by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

Re: thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
one more thing to mention.. Between the blades and the alternator is a 30:1 transmission. Realize that when using PWM to connect the turbine to the grid without killing the THD must happen within a 3 RPM (at the prop) swing, because of the 30:1 ratio. In gusts, this can happen in well under a second very easily!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:36:55 AM by jondecker76 »

wdyasq

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »
"The new PLC program counts 500 pulses per revolution."

And you are worried about catching it in a 3 RPM slot?

I am guessing this '40kW machine' is a grid tied device of some kind and using a 4 pole generator/motor. I am also guessing you are 'cutting in' at 1800 rpm and applying brake and cutting out at that 1900 rpm. What sort of braking device is used?

This is also not a small mill. Guessing again, I think a 12-15m diameter mill will be required to get 40kW of power at a reasonable wind speed.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:46:41 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

StorminN

Re: My home made Asynchronous Induction generator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »
Looks pretty cool, jondecker!

Do you have any plans to scale this down, or would it be relatively easy? I have a friend that just bought an Enertech 1800 (1.8kW, 13' prop) and will be setting it up soon. He's got the original analog control box that powers the prop up to speed, but a more efficient unit sounds better...

-N.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:59:15 AM by StorminN »

jondecker76

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
Yes, this is grid tied via asynchronous induction - and yes, cutin in alternator is at 1800RPM (synchronous speed). Cutout happens at the cutout setpoint (1797 for us right now). The 1900 is an overspeed fault.

The braking is a custom made disc brake from a semi and released via air pressure.

I did not measure, but I was told the prop diameter was 45 ft.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:27:04 AM by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »

"The new PLC program counts 500 pulses per revolution."

And you are worried about catching it in a 3 RPM slot?

The 3 RPM slot is measured at the prop - at the alternator its about a 100 RPM slot.

When I say catching it in that slot, I'm not referring to just sensing the RPM - I'm talking about catching the RPM near asynchronous speed, and getting its phase synchronized with the grid within that 100 rpm (at the alternator) window before it overspeeds. It will be pulled back down to around 1800 RPM (and up to about 1830 RPM at the end of the generator's slip) when locked to the grid. Do this too fast and you'll be out of spec on THD. Do this too slow and you'll hit the 1900 RPM overspeed and the fault will happen, setting the brake and disconnecting from the grid.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:32:35 AM by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 11:49:26 AM »
This unit scales nicely - all setpoints are adjustable. All induction generators are basically the same, so theoritically it will work with any asynchronous machine.

The problem with the original analogue controls are in how it operates. It must see >14MPH winds for 3 minutes, then it will use to line to spool its self to synchronous speed and continue to generate power from there on out. Once the windspeed drops below 9MPH, it would shunt the generator to a huge resistor box, then set a parking brake. This process would repeat indefinitely.

As you can imagine, in swinging winds, there are times where it will use more power to spool up than it will generate before the wind goes below 9 MPH again. This was a major problem to a lot of their customer base living in #2 wind zones.

This freewheeling design can engage its self to the grid if the wind gets up to about 12MPH for a minute or so, and will not kick out until it drops below the synchronous speed of the alternator. Add to that that in varying winds, we see the unit stay online generating power even when the windspeed drops down to 5 MPH for short periods, and 7 MPH indefinitely. It captures a lot more power from the wind, and uses none on startup.

Funny enough, these twin 40KW machines are Enertechs, and next week another unit is being put on 2 60KW Enertechs.

The modification inclues 1)Adding the 500PPR encoder to the back of the alternator shaft

1. Replacing the original NRG #40 anemometer with their #40H hall effect model
  2. You re-use much of whats in the original cabinet, including the SCR firing board (which must be physically modified for soft-start capabilities and rewired at J1), 3 relay cubes and the voltage and frequency threshhold cubes. We also added a contactor in series with the SCR as an additional failsafe, which the electric company was thrilled to see.
  3. We engineered a new braking system. The Enertech comes with a very small and cheap brake that is used for parking only. Actual braking was done with a resistive load, then the parking brake set. Our version uses a semi brake to both slow the unit to a stop, and hold it there. I would imagine that you may end up with premature brake failure on the stock unit if it is used for the actual braking. The large units pictured are using semi brakes (hoping for at least a 15 year service life) - but the cost just for parts is several thousand dollars. However, in a 13' machine, you can make a cheaper one from car disc brakes.

Though, if you were so inclined to use the resistive braking, you can probably use the brake relay to dump to the resistive load, and use a delay cube to power another relay after so long to set the original parking brake.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:49:26 AM by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

Re: My home made Asynchronous Induction generator.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm attaching my first draft at a user manual (in microsoft word format and Open Office (free and multiplatform) formats) for those interested in a better description of the unit's operations. I'd like to get the manual officially finished soon so any feedback would be appreciated.

I know this post isn't exactly on homebrew units, but I would like to see more asynchronous grid tie home brews in the future, and maybe having a control system already in place would help (as its the hardest part of these types of wind turbines). I plan on having a home brew asynchronous flying next year.... No batteries to maintain, and net metering to boot!

Manual

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:59:20 AM by jondecker76 »

projectpower

coolies
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
coolies
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:41:43 PM by projectpower »

StorminN

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54:25 PM »
Very neat stuff, Jon. I'm a newbie to wind generators, but from the tip brakes and downwind design of those turbines in your first picture, I thought they might be Enertechs...

I don't have the manual here, but if memory serves me correctly, the Enertech 1800 control box needs to see ~10 mph winds for a minute or so, then it will engage the relay that releases the brake and powers the prop up to speed. If the wind speed goes over 40 mph or drops below 7 mph, the control cuts the power and sets the brake. I believe the 1800 relies completely on the mechanical brake, no resistive load... but I could be wrong, I've only flipped through the manual and seen the machine once.

Here's a couple of pictures of the control box, maybe you can glean something from them...

-Norm.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:54:25 PM by StorminN »

jondecker76

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
From your description, the control system sounds spot on to how these larger units operated (Except for different values for windspeed). The control system has its merits (mainly that because it is spooled up from the grid, it will be perfectly in phase as it crosses the alternators synchronous speed, and therefore have very minimal THD on the line). However, in practice for us, it has been horribly inefficient - and since it does not monitor alternator RPM, it has to err on the safe side and kick offline way earlier than it needs to - based purely on assumptions gleamed from the windspeed.

The other thing I notice different is that these larger units use a slightly different control board, has an SCR bank, and uses an EnerPro SCR firing board (which is actually a modified AC motor control board - as I spend quite some time on the phone with Enerpro engineers pouring over schematics to re-enable the soft start feature of the original AC motor controller)

We are putting this unit on another 40KW Enertech this week near Erie PA, then on 2 60KW Enertech machines the week after, also near Erie, PA.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:42:47 AM by jondecker76 »

StorminN

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »
Hi Jon,

I just consulted the Enertech manual...

"The control system is factory pre-set to operate in response to the following 30-second average windspeed data when run in the AUTOMATIC mode.

Over 11 mph - Start-up

Under 8 mph - Shut-down

Over 40 mph - Shut-down ("cut-out")

Under 30 mph - Start-up ("reset")

The control system can also be run in a TEST mode, which has the effect of by-passing the start-up and shut-down controls, and permits the owner to run the windplant even when winds are below start-up speed."

I also looked it up... the gearbox is 11.4:1

There's an electrically-released, triple-disc spring-loaded brake located between the gearbox and the generator. On the far end of the generator (the nose), there's a small box with an emergency overspeed switch inside. It's a centrifugal switch, if the generator overspeeds, this switch interrupts the electrical circuit to the brake and stops (hopefully) the turbine.

So I don't think there's any electronic braking that happens with this smaller control box, just the mechanical disc braking?... but it would be very cool to see how much more efficient a freewheeling turbine is as opposed to one that's braked too often and then powered back up. Do you have any figures as far as efficiency gain? With two identical turbines close to each other like you have in your picture, you might have gotten some numbers?

Thanks,

-N.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:57:58 PM by StorminN »

jondecker76

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
I wish I had the foresight to do such a comparison, but the thought didn't even cross my mind. Early indications are that it is much more efficient (my guess at this moment would be around 25%) and the owner of the twin 40KW machines seems to agree after having these online for about a month now.

I will see if I can talk the owner of the twin 60KWs into letting me do this type of test for a month or so (his towers are almost up now, so they should be flying this month)

11.4:1 gearbox... Yours will be much quieter than these with the 30:1 gearing... The 40KW and above units are quite loud!

I would also be interested in hearing how the local power company deals with you in getting this set up..  We had problems with everything from distortion, failsafes and power factor (where they finally agreed to provide the capacitor banks for us)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:18:09 AM by jondecker76 »

Adam T

Re: home made A I generator PLC controller
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
I think you have something that many people are looking for.  I'd like to see some discussion on the fabrication of async. induct. generators.  I think the construction of them would not be outside the reach of anyone who has the desire and ambition to do any of the other projects detailed on this site.

That's some sweet action.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:22:51 AM by Adam T »

neilho

Re: home made A I generator PLC controller
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
As someone who worked in the original Enertech factory and has been working on them ever since, it's good to hear that someone has come up with a new controller for the larger turbines. It's been needed for twenty years. Glad to see that you're making a stab at it.

neil

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:44:41 PM by neilho »