Author Topic: A Question for Zubbly  (Read 1326 times)

coldspot

A Question for Zubbly
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »
Hey Zubbly-

I saw about your 25HP conversion, then it ended, no more info on it?

How is it going or working?

My reason is a friend came up with a 25HP also !!!

I told him I would check it out, (with the famous "ZUBBLY king of conversions")!

The info-

Marathon Electric

RE284TTDR7026FN W

1. HP  230/460 V
  2. /32.5 A
  3. RPM
  4. Hz

SF 1.15

Corr Amp 53/26.5

284t Frame

Type TDR

Code F

Des B

PH 3

Duty Cont

PLEASE Advise

THANK YOU

Have a Great Day/Night

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 09:02:27 PM by (unknown) »
$0.02

vawtman

Re: A Question for Zubbly
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »
What are your plans for that.Im sure the doc will check in.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:25:54 PM by vawtman »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:18:57 PM »
hi Coldspot!

quite a few projects are on hold till we get some warmer weather again (-25 celcius last night), and hope to get at it sometime in the future.

as it is now, the stator is stripped of the original winding and i have the magnets in stock for the conversion. it has 48 stator slots so i will be winding it to a 16 pole unit. the rotor will require 48 (3 per pole) of the 2x1x.5 mags. skewing the mags on the rotor would be very difficult, so i will be removing the lamination set and re-stacking it with a 22.5 degree skew to prevent cogging.

i have asked myself on a few occasions if i am "nuts" for wanting to build a unit like this. tower requirement will be massive and also a huge prop would be required. so i suggest you ask yourself the same thing and realy suggest you think it through totally before going ahead with the project.

there are 2 other options i may also do to it.

#1  i may design the winding for 208 volt 3 phase, and the 16 pole will require 450 rpm to give me 60 cycle. then use a gas or diesel engine to drive it and keep it as an emergency generator in case of a power failure.  connecting from the star point to a line will give me 58% of the line voltage (a perfect 120 volt).  there will be some voltage drop with applied load but can compensate by making the no load voltage a little higher. we had a severe ice storm here in 1998 and went 14 days without power. i do not wish to repeat that if it ever happens again.

#2  i may remove 2/3 of the lamination set and plainly make a "super duty" wind genny from it, but at a much lower output. it will decrease the weight of it and not require such a large prop to drive it.

i am not sure of your experience in building wind gens Coldspot, but in case you are a newcomer to this hobby, you will find that it is pretty much a totally different ballgame when considering making a unit above a 10 foot prop diam. i actually did come close to meeting my maker "twice" this past summer working on a larger unit. (still need to post about all that)  LOL!

any further progress i will definately post for your information.

have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:18:57 PM by zubbly »

coldspot

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
Thank you ZUBBLY

Yes I am a newby to wind gen's, Do have an "Electrical Tech" Deg, from 1985 ISU VoTec.

But I got OUT after seeing what 4160 will do to a human.

And after a couple X wifes and two kids each, I somehow ended up back.

I'm still in the PM stage and try'd to order some Neo's from Amazon today.

I just saw that motor yesterday at a friends and he said that he got it from his work,

they don't have 3-phase and replaced the motor on a compressor and let him have it.

He, I talked into wind gen's a few years back and has killed two Air403's and is on his third Mallard. He won't listen or belive that I do know MORE, and has paid the price.

I even took my "FlexCharge NC25A-12" with me to show him, and he still said, "The 403 has a built in charge controller on it". As it still sits with out a prop and the duck is spinning fast. He said he had rewired the 403 stator, (was impressed he knew that word, lol). I have burnt him a disc of info and LOTS from this forum was on it. I hope he learns how to use his computer.LOL!

I won't be trying anything with the 25 but will be trying a few smaller, (less than 1HP) conversions soon, still looking for a "4 Pole".

Also what is a "High EFF", I read you recomened??

The 25 can wait, He does have a canal behind his place with a natural drop in elevation of about 3'-4' where the water picks up speed and I have told him to use it but he won't, YET.

I love to read your stuff and the "Zub-Woof" blades are the chip!!

But they are kind of hard to balance, so-far.

If I may, I'd like to ask you about a few AC motors I do have now? Please let me know!

Thank you!!!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:48:50 PM by coldspot »
$0.02