Author Topic: solar tracker circuit  (Read 84937 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: solar tracker circuit
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
David HK,
When i first viewed your link to the tracker circuit, i downloaded a copy of the sch, and thought, now theres a project!.
However i am now doing 2  1.5kw PV tracker units and suddenly realised that this forum thread has now become very important to me.
Any chance of purchasing 2 of the circuits etc ?? Probably required for February 2012.  

Any News on progress is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:46:09 PM by clockmanFRA »
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

David HK

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:38 AM »
I am a bit behind schedule but following are some photographs of 2 nos 12 volt tracker systems showing the control box with two PCB's. One is the control circuit and the other is the relay unit with SPDT relays set out in such away that they cannot produce magic smoke by any accidental event causing them to operate simultaneously.

The main circuit follows the one I have been using for seven years and is more neatly set out on the PCB. I refer to this version as the Mark 2. I now have a Mark 3 which adds on one more cable connector to the PCB and will do away with the unsightly yellow and blue cables which are part of the relay activation circuit.

The last photograph is a 24 volt version with a 15 volt Zener resistor circuit providing power to the LM 7809 on the Mark 2 board. The relays are 24 volt SPDT. Parts of the sensor unit can be seen and I need to purchase various pieces of stainless steel to finish the fabrication.

Dave in Hong Kong

The boxes are reasonably robust, weather proof, and have translucent covers, virtually all bolts and nuts are stainless, and a few PCB standoffs are brass.

Ross W please note that one of the 12 volt units will be sent to you by airmail next week for evaluation. I will e-mail to confirm the day of posting.

ClockmanFRA I saw your note and sent you a PM. I am not sure if you have seen it.

rossw

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
I am a bit behind schedule
Ross W please note that one of the 12 volt units will be sent to you by airmail next week for evaluation.

Looking really good, David. I hope I can do your work justice!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
Beautiful work, very clean and neat, professional quality.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
Very nice David, as always.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
As I expected, it all looks nice.

I'm going to send you a PM now...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Hi David,
Looks good.

Perhaps i am jumping the gun a bit, but are you going to do this as a kit, just PCB, or complete units?.

The reason for asking, is here in France if its from USA i get serious charges from the Authorties, and sometimes the goods are held/seized. Basically if anything arrives here not from within the EEC, and its big i might not ever see it.

From China or Far East if its A5 size i might get it without to much hassle with the normal postman delivery.

Even UPS won't deliver, sometimes they do not even try, they just put a card in the post and tell me to drive for 2 hours for collection.  ???

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

David HK

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
Clockman FRA,

Anything can be done. I am British although I live in Hong Kong and have family in the UK.

If you are interested send me a PM setting out what you would require. The only proviso is that the relay board must have accompanying  relays as the board is designed to accept them.

I fully understand your problems with EU rules and foreign imports. I have similar hassle bringing PCB's into Hong Kong from the USA for non commercial purposes and have to go through the rigmarole of Trade Declarations and Import Tax.

Dave in Hong Kong

clockmanFRA

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48:58 AM »
Hi David, PM sent.

I am OK with a bit of PCB construction.

I am also putting together a MULTI LVD & DATA STORAGE/DISPLAY circuit. This one is for my 48V battery system with 8 strings/banks of 4 each, 32off. Arduino Mega, Display, removable SD card, etc, my good friend EricW is doing the software.

Pic shows PCB layout for a normal strip board.

4260-1

rossw

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
Yay! David, your parcel arrived this morning.

The box was a bit dinged up - looks like the postal service played football with it - but everything inside was so well packed, there's absolutely no sign of any damage to the contents.

Well presented, good documentation included.

Looking forward to getting out and trying it  - if it performs half as well as it looks, it'll be great!

More information as it comes to hand.

David HK

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
To celebrate my 63rd birthday this month I finally received the PCB's to make up my Mark 3 solar tracker.

Here are some photographs to show the old tracker which has worked continuously and flawlessly for about seven years, and the replacement unit.  The circuit is identical for both, but the Mark 3 now has PCB to wire connections on it which eliminate wires everywhere. The new PCB incorporates a green power on LED; it is built for 12 volts and can easily be converted to 24 VDC.

Not shown on the board yet are 2 Led's and resistors which will indicate when the TIP 120's switch on.

Its now a sunny Sunday morning in Hong Kong and so far the new PCB is working exactly as it should.

David in HK

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Happy Birthday!
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

rossw

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »
To celebrate my 63rd birthday this month I finally received the PCB's to make up my Mark 3 solar tracker.

Happy birthday.... and celebrated in style too I see :)

I think I mentioned that last weekend was to be the install for your tracker here... but I was thwarted by the tracker frame (commercially made, by the way) being ruined - was too flimsy and had bent and twisted and was twisting my panels!

Went and bought new section that is not only larger, but heavier - same as I used on my own frames - and was ready to make a start this weekend.

Saturday and we had rain and thunderstorms, with occasional periods of sun. I pulled all the panels off and got the frame dismantled - looked like a drowned rat by that stage, so figured I'd keep going. Got the new frame all cut and drilled, assembled and back on the base, and 4 of the 6 panels back before I had to give up for the day. (Doing this stuff alone with a broken shoulder wasn't too smart in the first place).

This morning I got the last panels on - then discovered one of them was damaged (only putting out 10V, not 20V open circuit), and had to replace that.

It's back producing power but I need to tidy up a bit, and the wind has kicked up now so it's too dangerous to try anything anyway - so during the week perhaps, or next weekend if the weather is more "co-operative"!

David HK

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2011, 04:31:39 AM »
Sunday Mark 3 tracker day time testing - perfect! It has now parked in the East and undergoes overnight to next morning testing - I do not envisage any problems.

A complete replica of the Mark 1 spaghetti junction circuit and its about the best I can do in layout. I am now where I always wanted to be with this circuit. The old faithful Mark 1 has done a sterling job for 7 continuous years, and I now expect the Mark 3 version to last beyond my lifetime. Lucky the person who inherits it.

RossW, I know the difficulties. We too have had a few days of continuous rain, and I am slowly getting through an uncomfortable dose of a common cold.

But all has turned out well, so I am most pleased with time, effort and cost outlay.

Regards,

Dave in HK

rossw

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2011, 05:08:24 AM »
I am slowly getting through an uncomfortable dose of a common cold.

Shhhh!   Men don't get the common cold. We get the usually-fatal "Man-Flu". It'd kill a mere mortal. We're lucky to survive it :)

David HK

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
RossW,

You obviously have a wicked sense of humour.

Please play the following You Tube URL for your breakfast:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_M5geUtb2Y

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave in HK

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
David,

Happy birthday (belatedly).

Seeing pictures of your slick system, I'm very eager now to exchange christmas presents with you! 

Ross,
Hustle it up, eh?  David won't send me a kit until yours is tested and true.   

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

rossw

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
Ross,

What'd your last slave die of?  :)

Here's where I'm up to...

Old commercial junk frame (can you spot the problem here?)

Improved/rebuilt frame (none of the wiring tidied up yet, just bare-bones getting output again)

I'll try to get out tonight after work and see if I can get Davids gear mounted and the preliminary stuff sorted so I can provide some feedback ASAP.
(I have to go interstate later in the week)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
What'd your last slave die of?  :)

Wave the goodies under my nose, and all my patience vanishes.

Old commercial junk frame (can you spot the problem here?)

Uh, yeah.  Channel members attached by the outer flanges and loaded laterally across the axis of torsional stiffness.
But it seems like everybody builds their solar panel racking like that.
www.sparweb.ca

rossw

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
Ross,

After a week where I couldn't really do anything outside - or wasn't here when I COULD have done something, I got back from Melbourne last night to find my driveway waiting at the bottom of the hill to meet me!  Had a couple of inches of heavy rain. Still with 4WD/low range, I was able to get me and the tandem trailer up the hill. Went out this morning, and it's pretty slushy out by the trackers, but I managed to get the control unit and sensor mounted, the new supply cable through a few lengths of conduit and connected, then paused for lunch. Then got the power on and worked out which way the actuator needed to go. (not sure where murphy was - got it right first time)

Tweeked the pots and it seems to be running fine. I'll keep an eye on it for the rest of the day though.

jaskiainen

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Hi guys!
Any progress here? Or feedback so far? This tracker sounds like the one i need...

rossw

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
Hi guys!
Any progress here? Or feedback so far? This tracker sounds like the one i need...

The system works quite well.
There's a smallish issue with tracking where there are lengthy periods of broken sun (like 3 hours of cloud in the morning, followed by sun all afternoon) that we're working on. That's more an issue for people who need to run completely unattended, as if you're there a quick lean on the manual positioning switch to get it "close" and the system will resume tracking.

Otherwise, it's been solid. It's made well and documented well. It's simple to set up. 12V and 24V operation are both supported, either by ordering as the type you want, or making some straightforward changes after the event.

David has been experimenting with a more compact sensor head that will make mounting easier.

I think David could pretty much ship the units whenever he's ready. The changes I'm going to suggest to him are minor and should be easily retrofitted.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Hi David,
How's the circuit going.?

I am designing my 2off 1.5kw PV trackers to be 24v activated, using a couple of 24vDc driveway gate opening arms.

Putting the cables and foundations in at present, with the PV panels arriving end of the month. About £1800 for 3kw worth.   

David HK

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
In the past few months I was forced to slow down a little due to the arrival of Christmas, the New Year, house painting, home Spring cleaning, and, last week, the Lunar New Year celebrations. The weather also compounded the slow down with temperatures dropping to +5 Celsius which is cool for Hong Kong.

The weather this morning is around + 13 Celsius and I am about commence making up a sun follower circuit that may well end up with forumite Sparweb.

Notice the use of the words sun follower rather than sun tracker because the former is a more correct description.

Let me assure readers that I do not have a perfect sun follower circuit and it has limitations which make it less than perfect. These limitations are quite simply “clouds.” Any light based sun follower/tracker circuit which works from LED's, LDR's, Infra-red, or equivalent light based components will always be at the mercy of clouds interrupting the way the system works.

For those who want ‘perfect' sun following electronic circuits the only way to go is with programmable logic using a real time clock. Sun following by this method is almost guaranteed irrespective of rain, clouds, snow, typhoons, water spouts and anything else nature can supply.

Today I shall start with an experiment to upgrade my sensor unit so that two LDR's (East and West) can be housed in one weatherproof box rather than two. Initial testing this will take about five minutes and then I shall place it on my own photo-voltaic assembly for testing over a few days. I am optimistic that this experiment will be successful, and, if so, it will lead to a substantial reduction in hardware and construction time.

For those interested in how my system performs in different weather conditions I hope the following one-line descriptions will be adequate:-

Pure blue sky, no clouds all day – system works perfectly from sunrise to sunset. Cannot be faulted.

Dark morning with thick heavy grey cloud – moves to the noonday position and stays there all day until light fades and it parks in the East.

Overcast morning, full cloud cover, but looks as if the sun may come out later - moves to the noonday position and stays there all day until light fades and it parks in the East.

Overcast in the early morning and the sun appears – the system may track a short way at first, and as the sun power increases it will track in the required way all day.

Sunrise for a nice day and the system will follow as required, but then thunder clouds arrive at midday and the sky become so black that the street lights turn on. The system will stop tracking and park in the East.

These are just some on my observed examples and I suspect that other forumites using similar circuits will have similar stories to tell.

The thing I like about this circuit is that it only ‘tracks' from East to West. It is not like other well known circuits that track for the brightest spot in the sky and, depending on winds and clouds, can result in an actuator whirring endlessly hunting for the ‘brightest' spot.

I shall do my best to upload a photograph of the latest – all in one - sensor box with early comments in the next few days.

Spring is on the way!

David in Hong Kong.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
David, thanks for the honest info.

Yes still interested in your circuit, going to probably need 2.

minus 10 degrees Celsius here in Normandy France, and Spring has gone back to bed.

David HK

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
I have finally managed to re-build an experimental sensor unit incorporating two LDR's in one enclosure = 100  x 100  x  50mm.

The following photographs show the existing large sensor unit and the new experimental version. An initial test indicates that the experimental sensor should work. I still have to add a mounting bracket and test for a few days. Slow progress.

Will post again as soon as I can.

David in HK

David HK

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Just after lunch on Saturday 11th February 2012 I managed to temporarily install the modified sensor unit. Weather conditions all day had been 100% cloud cover, but as nightfall came and light levels dropped the sensor reacted as normal and the system parked in the East as usual. No changes were made to the variable resistors on the control board.

Today - Sunday - Hong Kong is forecast to have sunny periods so all being well I should be able to observe how the system tracks with the all-in-one sensor.

The photographs below are self explanatory.

David in Hong Kong

David HK

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
Blast,

I inserted the wrong photographs. These are the intended display.

D in HK

David HK

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
The current experimental test with two sensors in one weather proof box is a partial failure The suspected cause is a too-short shadow maker,

There  is nothing wrong with the concept so I plan a larger weatherproof box which should be able to accommodate a taller shadow maker.

I shall try to install this during the coming week.

David in HK

David HK

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
The experimental Mark III sensor unit was set up for testing yesterday - Saturday 3rd March 2012.

The new difference compared with the Mark II units is:-

A larger weather proof box; a shadow maker 70mm high (previously was 40 mm high) and the shadow maker is brass painted black.

In the few hours of sunshine available it seemed to track as required but more time is needed.

Self explanatory photographs below.

David in HK

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 04:10:23 AM »
Should the insides of the box be painted black too, to absorb stray light bouncing around?

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

David HK

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 05:47:45 AM »
Damon,

The quick answer is no.  The sensor I have had in operation for seven years has not suffered from light reflection problems because the LDR's are inside copper pots with a 1.5mm light ingress hole. You will need to troll back through the JPEG's to see this on all versions pf the sensor.

Painting the brass sheet shadow maker black is more of a form of insurance in case sun reflecting MAY cause a problem. So far, its working as I expected, but Hong Kong is short on sun and much on cloud at the moment which makes system working difficult to observe.

David in HK

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 12:47:40 AM »
David,

It's arrived!  And it looks fantastic, too.
I will have more to report when I've carefully looked everything over, and put my thoughts together for its eventual installation, so for right now all I have to say is THANKS!    ;D 
www.sparweb.ca