I admit, it's my own fault.
I have a set of 4 SLIGC115's, 230Ah Golf carters
, that I got from Batteries + a year and 4 months ago, and I managed to boil them dry.
It's just that they're so inaccessible.
I haven't touched them since I installed them, but I honestly didn't think they would need that much attention (based on what I have witnessed from my 8D). Wrong I was!
I had a drive die (well, almost) in one of the servers, and so my thinking was simple, do the maintenance on the batteries while I'm back there.
Opened the caps and there wasn't much to be found. Hard to tell exactly how "dry" they got, but they definitely weren't flooded anymore.
Upon adding water, they began to make a crackling sound (exactly like a bowl of rice crispies), which eventually subsided as I got their thirst quenched.
In the middle of it all (after the first 4 or 5 cells), I ran out of water, as I only bought a gallon thinking that they wouldn't be all THAT thirsty. I had to drop everything, and run up to the grocery store and get 2 more gallons. Collectively, they took 2.5 gallons, and as I began adding to the last cell, the fan in the UPS kicked in as if to say "ooooh, there's something THERE!"
They have only seen one significant power failure, and some other rather minor ones, and survived a single 6 hour test I ran to see if the UPS units were "trainable". They're not.
Other than that, they sit on float, waiting.
Guess I need to pay more attention in the future and be more diligent. This isn't the first battery I've boiled dry, my first was an 8D (the trade in for the one I have now). But that thing was severely
abused... so it wasn't really any wonder for me.
These? Damn, man. I can't fork out 400+ bones every year or so for new batteries!
Any idea what the significance of the 3 elves moving into the cell block is? And what kind of damage I can expect from this?
EDIT - And how long I should wait before taking a hydro reading?