Author Topic: Turbine 5yr Check-up  (Read 2538 times)

Boondocker

Turbine 5yr Check-up
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »
My homebuilt turbine has been up and operating since the fall of 2007.  I give it a check-up seasonally corresponding with deer bow season.  Maintenance over the past 5yrs basically consists of :

•   Adding some touch-up paint on the blade
•   Greasing the axial bearing
•   Smearing some grease on top of mask where the turbine and tail pivots.
•   Untwisting the power cord inside the tower
•   Inspecting the alternator and tower for any loosen connections.

Last year, there were early signs of decay on the front plywood faceplate used to tie the blades together.  This year to rot really has progressed.

I realize plywood is not the best outdoor material.  But I contribute the origin of the decay to the bolts. I really torque them down to aid in blade tracking alignment.   The wood rot started next to the through bolt washers where I've tighten them down to point of indenting the wood and breaking the paint seal.

Sign MDO plywood was used to make the faceplate replacement.  I image marine plywood would be best, but I'll give the MDO a try-out since I have a few scrape pieces immediately available.

While hand spinning the alternator, heard just the slightest clicking sound.  So decided to disassemble the alternator and investigate.  Found the covering on three of the magnets bulging.  One of these bulging magnets was just starting to make contact with the stator.

For a repair, pealed off the covering, sanded off the rust, and applied fiberglass over the top to reseal.  Will see how well the repair will work.  In hindsight, it would have been better to pot the entire magnet in epoxy, and eliminate all exposure to elements. 

The stainless steel foil on the leading edge is holding-up very well. 

Boondocker

Re: Turbine 5yr Check-up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:21:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing your maintenance very helpful .

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
Nice job there,

It is amazing how so little rust is seen anywhere in your environment..... in a marine environment (here), there would be rust 1/4" thick anywhere there was a break in the paint (eg around the holes in the disks)..just amazingly benign there.

Best with it.

.........oztules
Flinders Island Australia