Author Topic: ATmega328P for OpenTRV use  (Read 23467 times)

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: ATmega328P for OpenTRV use
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
DamonHD;
Do you know that way way back in 2008 there was a show on the US based channel Discovery that had a future looking genius that was already talking about IoT?

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »
Thanks Bruce...

OK, here is the link to the (so far skeletal) site for the new product, with the sign-up link.  Lots of stuff still in progress, etc, etc.

https://myradbot.com/

Rgds

Damon

PS. Didn't know about the Discovery show...

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »
OKAY;
Where and when did you get the picture of my wife ;-) ?

Could you explain what fit-and-forget is?

Cheers
Bruce S

PS>>> I'll look up the show and which of the episodes it was. There were only 6 in total so should be easy enough to find.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:31:06 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »
Bruce: I cannot disclose the source of my images, but if she's available for more brand images it's all good!  B^>

"Fit-and-forget" in that the device learns when you use each room and so you should rarely have to touch it, but it can still cut the heat when you won't notice to save $$$ and carbon.  What you don't need to do, indeed can't with this version, is 'program' it in any way.  One dial, one button.  No smartphone or other complicated UI!

Rgds

Damon

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
Kind of a cool project.  While not controlling energy usage, I use a AT Mega 2560 chip on an Arduino board to control and fly my homebuilt fully autonomous quadcopter.  It runs the ArduPilot flight stack.  I'm building a more advanced version using a 2560 board for I/O with a PCduino dual-core running Debian with the ArduPilot stack to handle higher level computing functions such as computing splines for GPS waypoint flights.

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »
Thanks Chris.

I hope to be on an ARM device for our next product round; cheaper and faster and more effective code space.  But the AVRs are well engineered and full of features that I would have been all over 30 years ago when trying to build a toy robot for Hasbro/Tomy with a Z80A and various horrible Intel peripherals!

Rgds

Damon

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
Damon, I LIKE the 8-bit AVR processors.  They are rock solid and make better use of flash than 32-bit does.  And they are lower power consumption.  I think you are on the right platform for that application.  If your codebase eventually runs out of cycles or flash, you can easily add SRAM with a shield, or even dual core by stacking them and run SMT   :)

I really like that platform.

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:49 AM »
Hi,

We are hitting Flash/code limits on the 328P, and the unit cost of even that device (even in bulk) far higher than we can afford if we are going to get the valve cost down to our target range to give financial payback in a single year.

A particularly nice feature of the AVR/328P is the 100k single-byte-writeable EEPROM, and few ARM variants seem to have something equivalent, though we have found a 50 cent device that is close and are doing some preliminary design around it.

Rgds

Damon

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
BTW, we started a Web comic on The Register about Radbot, enjoy!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/24/radbot_episode_one/

Next episode coming soon...

Rgds

Damon

SparWeb

• SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »
I only get a 1x1 pixel GIF...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2016, 01:51:46 AM »
Make sure you have JavaScript enabled for the cartoon.

If need be I'll probably put the images up somewhere else too in a few days.

Rgds

Damon

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
Update: www.myradbot.com is looking kinda ship-shape now, which is just as well because we are aiming for our campaign to go live by the end of this week.  Excitement!

There have been more RADBOT comics too!

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:14:46 AM by DamonHD »

frackers

• Is it finished yet?
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
A particularly nice feature of the AVR/328P is the 100k single-byte-writeable EEPROM, and few ARM variants seem to have something equivalent, though we have found a 50 cent device that is close and are doing some preliminary design around it.

I've been using the STM32 series micros for a while now and I'm very impressed. One project uses a STM32F303xC which has 256k ROM, 48k RAM, I'm using an external SPI NOR flash of 8Mbytes (W25Q64FV) to replace the EEPROM. So far I'm using 4 out of the 5 UARTs - 2 with hardware flow control, 10 DMA channels, 10 of the timers, SPI, I2C, DAC, 14 of the ADC channels and I can still put it to sleep with a current consumption below 50uA!!

Just having an decent IDE with multiple real-time breakpoints has improved productivity 3-4 fold.

The STM32F103 boards that I started with are a couple of dollars and the USB debugger is the same price. Even going up to a STM32F3 series Nucleo board which has the debugger as a "snap-off" PCB gives you change out of $20.

Steep learning curve but you'll be ahead within 6 months.

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:03 AM »
Thanks!

Damon