Poll

How much electricity (in kWh) per day does your home use when you are away traveling (on average throughout the year)?

Less than 0.5 kWh
0 (0%)
0.5 kWh to 1 kWh
3 (25%)
1 kWh to 3 kWh
5 (41.7%)
3 kWh to 5 kWh
1 (8.3%)
5+ kWh
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: How many kWh per day does your home use when you are away traveling?  (Read 10946 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: How many kWh per day does your home use when you are away traveling?
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
I know our current primary residence the motor coach with its bank of 12 3 to 5 year old golf cart batteries a 1.1KW PV and currently only a 6.5 KW diesel generator uses a lot more in Dollar cost per month due to the batteries having had over 1500 charge discharge cycles on them means we are using at least 100 gallons of diesel per month.

Depends on how you look at it.  If you're like us, the diesel fuel is WAY cheaper than replacing the batteries.  And virtually unlimited power available when the generator is running.  Our two 45kW co-generation sets I built are one of the most economical sources of power, heat and A/C we've yet had.  Until they come up with something better than batteries to store power for off-grid setups we're sticking with the generators.  They'll run 20,000 hours @ 30-50% rated load for $1,500 overhaul cost and about 17 cents/kWh running cost.  And now that the US is the largest oil producer on earth, and geologists figured out the Bakken reserve is bigger than all of the Middle East countries combined, the cost of petroleum diesel is not going to skyrocket any time soon.  With the diesels we've gotten used to "we'll leave the lights on for ya" and we are rather enjoying it.

jlsoaz

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
general comment - so far, there is a marked contrast between the results of this poll as posted here, and the one I set up a year ago in the forum for "The Energy Detective" (a device that helps track home energy usage).  In that forum, here are the results as of this writing:

http://forum.theenergydetective.com/index.php/topic,3265.0.html

Question:   How many kWh per day does your home use when you are away traveling?
below 0.5 kWh per day       - 0 (0%)
0.5 kWh to 1 kWh per day       - 1 (6.3%)
1 kWh to 2 kWh per day       - 1 (6.3%)
2 kWh to 3 kWh per day       - 1 (6.3%)
3 kWh to 4 kWh per day       - 2 (12.5%)
4 kWh to 6 kWh per day       - 0 (0%)
above 6 kWh per day              - 11 (68.8%)
Total Voters: 16

In this fieldlines forum, here are the results as of this writing:

How much electricity (in kWh) per day does your home use when you are away traveling (on average throughout the year)?
Less than 0.5 kWh        0 (0%)
0.5 kWh to 1 kWh         2 (20%)
1 kWh to 3 kWh            5 (50%)
3 kWh to 5 kWh            1 (10%)
5+ kWh                        2 (20%)

As to conclusions or musings, I suppose at first look, it appears that the off-gridders and other fieldlines participants are more focused on saving energy, but with some important exceptions such as for those who take a "use it or lose it" approach.

From my own point of view (I am presently the one vote in the 3 to 5 category) I am not off-grid, but in any event have found it challenging to keep my usage low.  In the past I think I have been in the 1 to 3 category.  I guess for those of us trying to keep it low, there are various measures to take or try.

jlsoaz

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 04:39:51 AM »
Uploading a screenshot of my (nearly) whole-house electric power use during recent time away, between 3.2 and 3.3 kWh each day.  There is a separate area that I've had trouble reading, but I don't think the grand totals are strongly affected.

9887-0

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 01:49:25 AM »
I can give you a better answer now given that we have just been away for a fortnight.

Zero natural gas (no space heating or hot water required, no standby losses since all instant and "on demand").

~1.3kWh/d gross electricity consumption, most of which will have been for the fridge/freezer, and about 50% of which was directly covered by our solar PV ie not imported.

http://www.earth.org.uk/saving-electricity.html#meter2016

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
I can give you a better answer now given that we have just been away for a fortnight.

Zero natural gas (no space heating or hot water required, no standby losses since all instant and "on demand").

no pilot light?

~1.3kWh/d gross electricity consumption, most of which will have been for the fridge/freezer, and about 50% of which was directly covered by our solar PV ie not imported.

http://www.earth.org.uk/saving-electricity.html#meter2016

Rgds

Damon

1.3 kWh/d seems very energy-conserving to me.  As it happens, I was just doing a bit of experimenting this morning.  I think for the next time I leave for any length of time, if I shut off certain circuits then maybe can get down to that level that would put me back under 3 kWh/d.... perhaps under 2 kwh/d.  The garage seems to eat up something like 16-18 Watts continuously while waiting for someone to come by and remotely open the doors, though I only did a very quick test.  I'll inconvenience myself to the point of actually having to get out of the car and use a key in a door when I come back.

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »
no pilot light?

No.  Older pilot-light boilers can be less than 50% efficient, wasting quite a lot on just the pilot light itself!

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
no pilot light?

No.  Older pilot-light boilers can be less than 50% efficient, wasting quite a lot on just the pilot light itself!

Rgds

Damon

Good to know... I'm so behind on some of these things.

I am not sure where to post it (I had gone on about my own home/setup issues) but to avoid standing on procedure and just do a semi-irrelevant-to-this-thread shoutout, a comment from me as to my home setup:

- this week will be having some work done to modify a battery/inverter setup I had installed a few years ago.  Basically, when I had it installed, it was simplest (in terms of wiring) to power the whole house, but over time I have changed my mind and decided that I am not really going for off-grid at this time.  So, in my "hybrid" approach (on-grid, but capable of some limited islanding during an outage even if it extends over several days), it seems best to modify what I've done only to power the lower-power circuits plus the HVAC, as these seem like they would be more essential during an extended outage.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
I was forced to remove my solar panels because the owner's insurance complained. Since then I have been 100% on-grid. I still use less than 1kwh a day. Piped in city gas is used for cooking and hot water and I use a small box fan instead of a/c. I switched my Engel MT35 to 120vac from 12dc. I have a new energy-efficient washer and air dry my clothes on a wooden rack.

My bill is about $12.5 a month and 2/3's of that is account service fees and taxes. The absolute minimum bill for electric is now just over $10. My elderly neighbor turned her a/c on last month. I am younger and was born here so I have more tolerance for the heat/humidity in south Florida. If a/c wasn't available, south Florida would be empty in the summer like it was when I was growing up.

Mary B

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
Pilot light appliance are dinosaurs... they stopped making most of them back in the 90's!

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Still too common in some situations.

We just came back from a holiday in the South of France, and we stayed in a mobile home.

It had incandescent light bulbs, and a propane instant water heater with pilot light.

And indeed all the places that we go on holiday in the UK also seem to be equally backward.

I do leave a comment on the feedback form.

It is especially silly having incandescent bulbs (and pilot light) blasting out waste heat when the temperature is 36C.  Ho hum.  Clearly energy remains too cheap, or they'd sort themselves out.

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
I was forced to remove my solar panels because the owner's insurance complained. Since then I have been 100% on-grid. I still use less than 1kwh a day. Piped in city gas is used for cooking and hot water and I use a small box fan instead of a/c. I switched my Engel MT35 to 120vac from 12dc. I have a new energy-efficient washer and air dry my clothes on a wooden rack.

My bill is about $12.5 a month and 2/3's of that is account service fees and taxes. The absolute minimum bill for electric is now just over $10. My elderly neighbor turned her a/c on last month. I am younger and was born here so I have more tolerance for the heat/humidity in south Florida. If a/c wasn't available, south Florida would be empty in the summer like it was when I was growing up.

impressive attainment of low energy use numbers.  I live in a similarly hot climate (southern Arizona) but am kind of lax and use my A/C and other energy-hogs somewhat liberally.  When I'm not at the house, I've unfortunately had some mission creep as far as keeping the numbers down.... things kind of add up, so I guess I'm using a bit over 3 kWh/day when I'm not here.