Author Topic: HUB MOTOR WIND TURBINE  (Read 3976 times)

Yianie123.

HUB MOTOR WIND TURBINE
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to a hub motor for wind-turbine applications? There is a company called GOLDENMOTOR That has all sizes. 

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: HUB MOTOR WIND TURBINE
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
WILD in ALASKA

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »
I don't see why they couldn't work. Not the cheapest things. My main concern is mounting them for wind use, they are designed for wheels and the shaft is supported at both sides, I can see this being a serious challenge for wind power.

Flux

Yianie123.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
There is a 5kw and 10kw at 96V.   I requested a RPM VS POWER curve from the manufacture.  I have to believe that some power is produced at low rpm.  Thus motor is a permanent magnet, but cut in rpm is not known.

joestue

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
the most efficient point is about 4000 rpm at 40 amps and 96 volts for those motors.

for whatever reason, it takes 250 watts just to spin the shaft at 4300 rpm, so you can work backwards from that to figure out how big the turbine will need to be.. i'm guessing quite large, especially if you try a cascaded 3:1 chain drive to get the required 9:1 speed increase.

you know one of the things i'd like to see DIY'd is the large flywheel sized gear with many individual generators running at 10:1 gear ratio. like say for instance, 12 of them, 6 on each side of the large bull gear. the problem is to get the turbine spinning, you need 12 clutches to disconnect the generators so it can get up to speed, and in the case of a bldc motor, overcome cogging torque.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Electic bicycle hub motors make great pedal generators, as Flux suggested, they're difficult to mount as a wind turbine.
My experiments here: http://www.gotwind.org/diy/300w-Pedal-generator.htm

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:30 AM »
There was a Chinese made cheap wind turbine based on a hub motor that's been used by a few of us in Australia. The brand shall rename nameless, as it needed a lot of work to make it reliable. Rated at 500 watts, with a little modification and the addition of a cap doubler, it had good low wind performance and could generate over 1000 watts. In fact it could make much more, but suffered heat problems, so furling was added to keep it in the reliable zone.

As Flux said, the hub motors were designed to have a shaft out both ends, so these units were modified with a hardened enlarged shaft, and run blade diameters around 2.7 meters ( GOE222 ). There's no cogging, so start up is good in low winds.

There is some eddy current drag, but overall the performance seams to be pretty good. I've had one running on a 48v system for several months now.

Point is, yes the hub motors do work well, but need a fair bit of work to get up in the air.

Glenn

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »
I've always imagined those 500-1000W bike hub motors from Golden Motor, idéal candidates as generators in a water wheel setup. :)
Just remove the spokes/rim; mount it on a solid fork, and use a serpent drive belt to connect it to a water wheel. ;)

I do not know about durability in a wet environment, though...
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)