Author Topic: How do I keep my batteries alive forever?  (Read 2587 times)

Fred

How do I keep my batteries alive forever?
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if some genius on batteries can tell me how to make them last forever?  :)  I have just installed a new battery bank for a customer of mine and have been reading a lot of the new (new to me?) info on keeping batteries happy. But I keep getting conflicting info.

The first thing I read is life cycle is directly related to DOD, the shorter you cycle them the longer their life.
The next thing I read is that FLA batteries need to be cycled to 50% DOD? Otherwise they will sulfate?

My customer has 24 Rolls S-1660 2V L16 type batteries and 5200 watts of solar on a 24V system. He is running some heavy loads during the day, (three Swamp coolers, one large, two small, a small 110V hot tub, Etc.) but he runs very little at night, (a large frig, small freezer, and a TV.)

What I have been recommending to him it to keep them in the 10% DOD most of the time with a 50% DOD once a month. We have the charge controllers set for a 4 hour absorb time (at 28.8V) and they seem happy with this, The S.G. is right at 1.265 when they change to float.
Off grid since 1999.

dbcollen

Re: How do I keep my batteries alive forever?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
When I equalize my rolls batteries the spec gravity is 1.270-1.275, you may try raising the abs volts a few tenths and see if the gravity increases. Mine see about 10% DoD everyday. The only deep discharges they get is in the fall when it gets cloudy, and before we get enough rain to get the hydro going. They are 9 years old and still going strong. I water them every 90 days and equalize to 61v for 2 hrs after to mix them up.