Author Topic: Thrift store mini panel holder  (Read 2573 times)

micropv

Thrift store mini panel holder
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
It's a dual picture holder (2-3x5's).  Seen it cheap, bought it.  Not perfect by any means, but better than just laying the little panels out in the sun and letting the wind blow them around, and much cheaper than a project box.

A little silicon caulk to be added soon.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Thrift store mini panel holder
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Did you happen to measure how much that plastic drops the output by?  I'd be interested to know.

And do you know if that plastic is UV-stabilised, ie if it'll resist going yellow?

(I have some similarly simple but non-optimal arrangements!)

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

micropv

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Hi DamonHD,

Initially voltage drop was minuscule when cool, but now that they are baking outside in 95f/35c I am seeing approx. 1.5v drop off per panel.  I have not measured the little panels in open air at the same temperature to know if this is normal, or an exception due the the acrylic picture frames holding more heat (which I bet they are).

As far as UV resistant, I don't know that either.  The larger of the two panels in the photo I had in a single 3x5 acrylic frame for the last 2 years, but the wind had blown it around enough where it had fell off my deck rail several times and had broke a corner as well as added several cracks to the frame.  It never yellowed, but did appear to become more brittle with use in the elements.

I think both panels are at least 4 to maybe 5 years old.

Best,

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
Hmm, wasn't event thinking about voltage drop because of heating effects!  I was thinking more of current drop because the plastic will absorb some light that otherwise would have generated current.  (When using glass, the type of glass seems to be important for example.)

Thanks

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

micropv

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
I am not 100% sure, but from what I have read, acrylic generally is more "clear" than glass, I might have to do a little more research on that though, so the verdict is still out.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
Nice upcycling! I like the idea of using the connectors and labeling.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

micropv

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks.  I started using the little 9v connectors to help overcome some of the problems when using rechargeable batteries in appliances (voltage), as well as it makes it really simple to hook up to the little panels when charging.

example here, 10 LED (3xAA/4.5v) lamp from HF.  AA's for longer summer days, easy to switch over to D's for shorter winter days.