Author Topic: Combining MC4 Branch Connectors  (Read 2558 times)

breamer

Combining MC4 Branch Connectors
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
I have four panels I would like to connect in parallel.  I know you can buy a combiner box and I have seen 3 to 1 MC4's and even a 4 to 1.  But can I not accomplish the same thing using multiple 2 to 1's .  ie) Using the output of one branch connector as the input to another branch connector and having the third panel on the other side?

gww

Re: Combining MC4 Branch Connectors
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I can't answer your question but think the combiner in you situation may make sense, as when you have three or more strings (4 panels paralel) you really want to fuse/breaker them so that two or three of the other panels don't damage one if something goes wrong.  Ie:  three panels feeding into one would be much more then the ones rating.

Don't get me wrong I have run them that way with out fusing but it was on things I didn't care about.

Even on my big aray I just cut the mc4 wires and spliced,  I have heard this may violate your warrenty but I also believe more people do it that way then not.

I hope this helps
gww

breamer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
Yes, the splice has occurred to me, I wanted to avoid that but that may be my only option

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
buy you a few pair of MC4 connectors and a couple of #2 awg cable terminals  with a 3/8" ring
 cut several lengths of 10AWG THHN stranded  put 4 wires into 1 cable end then crimp & solder or Solder & crimp your which ever way your boat sails then solder the 4 male MC4 connectors to the 4 ends of the wires do this again for the female connectors .
 you now can connect your 4 panels to the branch cable assemblies the branch cables can then be connected to a disconnect or bolted directly to your lead cables then to a disconnect before your charge controller.
 My 8 panel array is like this  with a 100 amp weather proof disconnect the lead cables are #2AWG @ 40ft length
 This way you can drop out any single panel or the whole array if need be.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

breamer

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
Thanks Frank, I may consider that

breamer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
I have to visualize that first  ::)