Author Topic: Simple Switch for yard light  (Read 2636 times)

adobejoe

Simple Switch for yard light
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
I have a 20 Watt 12 VDC reflector lamp designed to stick in the ground and illuminate a wall or entry. I have a 12 VDC deep cycle battery fully charged. I want a simple switch or two that will turn it on for several minutes when I drive in the driveway and it is dark at night. I see two ways to do this. One use a remote control switch like on a remote car door entry, finger activated. Two use two switches and a timer in the circuit. The two switches are in series and initially open. Switch one must close at dusk. Switch two must close when hit by my car headlight. Then, some delay timer that will operate for five minutes. My problem is is in trying to spec this stuff out. For example, switches on Digikey generally operate at 5 volts or less. Is there a simple way to do this or something off the shelf? AdobeJoe

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Simple Switch for yard light
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
Put a small regulator on the 5 volt switch, use relays on the output of it.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
For a little more than $20 you can buy a fully functional solar motion light online.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LightIt-6-in-Bronze-LED-Wireless-Motion-Activated-Weatherproof-Porch-Light-20031-107/204205351  I don't know what the on-delay settings are.

Runs on 4 C-cells, so you could add your battery and then all you would need is a string of diodes to drop the 12v battery to 6 volts and use your deep cycle battery instead of C-cells.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-New-Solar-Powered-Motion-Sensor-Security-Flood-light-22-LED-Garage-Outdoor-/231355643262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dddef57e $26, but it has it's own batteries and runs on 3.6v. Will only stay on for 60 seconds max, but you might be able to alter that when you see the board. It does have daylight sensitivity adjustments.

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
RAB makes a good quality 12V motion sensor.  I think it is called the Stealth.  There a bit pricey ($75 I paid for IIRC),but work well and hold up.  I've got one that must be 10-years old, and now use two of them.  There are cheaper versions, but you get what you pay for on this stuff.  You can adjust both sensitively and delay.

We have one on the garage/shop that controls power to the overhead door outlets - three of them - and turns on spot lights, all via a SS relay, if its dark.  A close-nipple photocell controls the dusk/dawn part of it.  This my be silly, but it keeps the inverter off all day long when were not home.

~kitestrings

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
I've modified a few of the 240vac sensor lamps to work on 12v. Some can be modified, some cant.

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/12vSensorLight.asp

Recently I bought a LED solar powered sensor light for about $40. It came with a solar panel and base unit with a couple of multi led spot lights. Pretty impressed with it, good light, been going for a year now.

Glenn