Author Topic: Homebuilt To Grid  (Read 6133 times)

Yianie123.

Homebuilt To Grid
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
I'm considering building an 8ft windturbine or putting up a 4ft alternator type.  The climate is changing in my area and they are more and more windy days.  So now, if I build, how do I connect to the grid?  Windmill to battery, battery to grid tie inverter? But will the batteries drain to quickly?  Any help will be appreciated, or how do you sink directly from turbine to grid.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Homebuilt To Grid
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »
Contact your electricity provider. They have the final say. Grid-tie has to meet code and be inspected. www.dsireusa.org
has state by state listings for legal issues and rebates that may be available.

You can have grid-tie with battery backup or without battery backup. Without means you have no power when the grid is down, just like everyone else.

joestue

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
if you are on an analog meter you can just do it, but if you go negative power consumption for the month you might want to call your lawyer.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Yianie123.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
I think I am misleading everyone.  My question is that the wind varies and so would the voltage.  I am under the belief that grid tie inverters do well with solar panels, but not well with windturbines, or is this inverter dependent?  I see many on youtube use grid tie from China, but I do not understand how these inverters work with variable voltages synchronise with the grid or are they connected to batteries that are being fed by the windturbine?

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Windmaster-500-Wind-Turbine-Grid-Tie-Inverter.htm

Grid-tie inverter for 500Watt windgenerator without batteries.

- F -

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
Grid-tie inverters have voltage limits. As long as your mill isn't spinning up in a gale, you probably won't exceed the input limits of a well made grid-tie inverter. The voltage on solar is much more predictable, it's the current that varies. With wind you have both to consider.

Connecting to the grid isn't free. It might be a while before you get your investment back, if that's why you are in this. If you want power when the grid is down, then you need batteries and those aren't cheap either.

How much money do you want to spend and why are you seeking to do this?

joestue

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
I think I am misleading everyone.  My question is that the wind varies and so would the voltage.  I am under the belief that grid tie inverters do well with solar panels, but not well with wind turbines, or is this inverter dependent?  I see many on youtube use grid tie from China, but I do not understand how these inverters work with variable voltages synchronize with the grid or are they connected to batteries that are being fed by the windturbine?

that's a really good question and i have not seen any information as to reverse engineer the time-frequency-voltage-grid frequency graphs as to provide an answer.
recently someone here said a certain commercially available product failed to react in time to a voltage dependent dump load request ( i recall it was hydro related).. meaning it failed to hold the voltage below a certain threshold.. and i'm a bit annoyed myself at that.. knowing this isn't a difficult task to complete.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Yianie123.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
Grid-tie inverters have voltage limits. As long as your mill isn't spinning up in a gale, you probably won't exceed the input limits of a well made grid-tie inverter. The voltage on solar is much more predictable, it's the current that varies. With wind you have both to consider.

Connecting to the grid isn't free. It might be a while before you get your investment back, if that's why you are in this. If you want power when the grid is down, then you need batteries and those aren't cheap either.

The question of money is a good question.  My goal is to use the wind in hopes to do my part to save the planet.   I live in ValpAraiso, IN. On 1 acre where in the winter it's cold, dark, and windy.  I have a large solar hot water system (evacuated tube system) and 1.3kw PV panels.  I also have hydronic floor heating.  So, would it be smarter to skip the wind? Or make electricity with wind or make hot water with wind?  Or move out of Valparaiso  :)

joestue

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

The question of money is a good question.  My goal is to use the wind in hopes to do my part to save the planet.

give up and kill yourself.
no seriously, stop worrying about the 100 watts continouous thermal expenditure offered by 2400 calories per day consumption.
..its negligible. that's like.. 100 square meters of chlorophyl. also, you don't need 2400 calories per day.. 800 is allegedly known to be enough.

Yianie123.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »

The question of money is a good question.  My goal is to use the wind in hopes to do my part to save the planet.

give up and kill yourself.
no seriously, stop worrying about the 100 watts continouous thermal expenditure offered by 2400 calories per day consumption.
..its negligible. that's like.. 100 square meters of chlorophyl. also, you don't need 2400 calories per day.. 800 is allegedly known to be enough.
Wow....Thanks.......I think?

joestue

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
not even joking. i heard a major coal producer dropped the price to 65$ a ton in Australia.

if you figure generously, a years salary could buy 1000 tons of coal, have it shipped to the middle of a major ocean, dumped in the water.. you'd offset 1,000 people years worth of CO2 output.

Yianie123.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
Ok, and what happens to the planet? The reality is that things are changing, faster and faster.  Floods drought, bla bla bla.....We used to have cooling centers in Chicago in the summer, now it doesn't even reach 90F.  The bottom line is the wind is blowing.  Are we going to use it or not?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:14 AM »
You can also help ensure that local commercial wind plans are not defeated by NIMBYism.

We are about energy- and carbon- neutral for heat and light at home with good insulation and heating control and a bunch of PV.  (Wind is roughly useless here.)

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Yianie123.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 06:44:19 AM »
Thank you for answering my question.  The simplicity of your answer is greatly appreciated.

kitestrings

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
Saving the planet seemed so much easier when I was younger, and less informed :-\

Still, small, deliberate collective efforts make a difference if for no other reason than to raise curiosity/awareness.  I'm having one of the most interesting discussions right now with my 9-yo, which started with him explaining to me on the ride home that cars and trucks and factories produce carbon dioxide... but plants and trees take in carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.

~ks

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
I know in Minnesota you cannot connect anything to the grid that is not UL approved for grid tie.