Author Topic: Baldor motor  (Read 6332 times)

karma101

Baldor motor
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »
I use Steven Faheys  Web site for most of my info it is an excellent source. [ Specified attachment is not available ]
 My project will but out AC current(wild) that I can rectify and Then run it though a charge controller and store it  in a battery bank. Then run it to an inverter to get 120v the power will be used for lights and hand tools.  Right so far?
           I had the rotor turned down so I could add ½ magnets to it. same as Steven faheys http://www.sparweb.ca/3_Gen_MoCo/Baldy.html . there are 36 slots and 6 sets of coils. After I slide the rotor back in and want to test the alternator. I have 3 wires coming out of the motor 2 black and a white
     For it to be 3 phase do all 3 wires have ac current or is 1 a ground  Do I want to divide up the wires coming out so I have 12 wires?   BTW this is the first time I have ever posted any thing on any forum.
 Thanks for your time.

joestue

Re: Baldor motor
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:50 PM »
If you can get 12 wires out of the case then you can connect it wye or delta.
Usually you can only pull 9 wires out of the case and the centre wye terminal is buried in the winding somewhere, but it is not hard to find.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

karma101

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
Thank you I will start removing the string and adding wires

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:05 AM »
Try it with the original winding first. The 3 wires connect to a 3 phase rectifier. It may suit a 24v system as it stands.

If it doesn't suit your needs then you need to divide the windings. It doesn't seem to be the multi voltage connection common in N America so without diving inside you only seem to have a single voltage option

Flux

karma101

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:28:30 AM »
I like the Idea of not having to add wires. A 3 phase bridge rectifier is the way I will go. I am learning as much about this as I can and your help is much appreciated. After I get a usable 12v out of the rectifier I can understand how to handle the current.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with those who have already responded; the 3 wires you have is the simplest place to start.  If you find that the match is poor for the system voltage you want, you can always go back to the wires and split the star point, which will give you a total of 6 wires, or go further if 9 or 12 are needed.  The connections appear to be available to you (judging by the photo).

Welcome to Fieldlines!
I look forward to seeing your progress.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
With only three wires, there is no proof that it is star or delta, and the name plate does not show what style it  is.... only that it is 200v.

If they had at least 6 wires in the connection box, we could get a better understanding of the connections inside... and set up for star or delta.

As it is, test it out with the three wires and see what you get.

If you need to reconfigure, it will be a lesson in how it is wired up internally. I suspect 6 coil groupings, three coils/group,  and two groups per pole...... and then phantom poles, and anyones guess as to whether they are in star or delta....series or parallel within a phase.......... looks a single use motor.... ie designed for a specific customer request....

I expect star......... and series connection within each phase.... but it is not a given by any means.

..................oztules

PS and Stephen deserves the meritorious remarks.... good articles and reference material.
Flinders Island Australia

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
200 volt 60hz motors are usually slated for use in Japan. Japan being one of the countries that use 60 HZ. Also 100v single ph and 200v 3 phase is standard
 Baldor makes 200v 60hz motors up to a 404 frame size and up to 50 HP these are used on conveyors pumps and fans where 200v is the supply
 If I remember correctly the difference between a star or delta wiring would be if the motor were 1800 or 1750 PRM
 but that may not be right.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
The difference between star and delta is only a voltage/current  thing. The 1800 1750 rpm thing is a slip differential.
These are asynchronous motors, so the rpm and power out  is a function of the slip. This means that synchronous operation is basically an impossibility if you wish to deliver torque.

To get close to synchronous,means the bar resistance in the rotor is very very small.... and no load... but it will never get to 1800 rpm under load.

They act like a short circuit transformer, so the closer the rotor is to short, means the current in it's bars are higher... so greater magnetic force is realized by the rotor.... and this acts against the stator.... so closer to synchronis operation. ( magnetic field is and ampere turns thing.. turns are fixed so more current is realized by less resistance in the bars...more current)

Star delta is a different thing, and only affects ( in the real world) the input voltage and current... ie in star the motor may be 415v, and in delta it may be 240v.... same power though higher current.
Flinders Island Australia

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
quote:Oztules:   ... ie designed for a specific customer request....

Yeah I suspected that, too.  I have a big Baldor catalog, and that part number isn't in there.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

karma101

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
The motor came out of a stair master 510