Author Topic: Lithium controller  (Read 3329 times)

OperaHouse

Lithium controller
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
Things have been dull here for a while.  Here is something different.  This guy doesn't like MPPT, but likes lithium batteries  http://electrodacus.com/

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Lithium controller
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »
Lithium batteries are still way to expensive for off grid use. To replace my $1600 928AH lead acid bank with lithium would cost $8k minimum.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:50:58 AM »
Lithium batteries are still way to expensive for off grid use. To replace my $1600 928AH lead acid bank with lithium would cost $8k minimum.

Would that be a bank about a third to half the size of your lead acid, and with the consideration of the higher charge/discharge efficiency and 2000-3000 cycles? :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
I can still replace my bank 3 times and have the same lifespan and save about $3k... until prices come down it is not cost effective

Pablo

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:55 AM »
As I had to replace my batteries every 3 years, Lithium is currently a very viable option and I did commit to getting Electrodacus controller.
but getting the lithium batteries into the Philippines is a pain. Apart from  paying excessive import tax, I have not found a way to get Winston batteries into the country. Any idea how to solve this riddle? Victory line now got an electric bus with Winston batteries, so the Transport minister solves the problem, but normal people like me are not to lucky.
How to do this?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:28:59 AM »
Some carriers will ship Li batteries, even by air, in their original packaging.

But look for a ground route, eg sea or road, which may be easiest.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Pablo

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Sorry, I should have been clearer.
I live in Philippines and the problem is not the shipping, it is that the customs over here is a bit erratic in applying import duties to privately imported goods, sometimes double the cost of the equipment. And I do not seem to be able to get any solar company interested to import them into the Philippines on their import licenses (and therefore have a reasonable import tax). People seem to be happy with their lead-acid batteries, they are certainly cheaper and probably most people are new to the solar/wind game.
So, I am looking for an interested local solar company but have not found one yet.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
Pablo you need a more logical government (so do us Americans). I had a coworker whose wife was from one of the smaller Phillipine islands. She spent $20k to buy appliances in the United States, fly them to Manilla, put them on a boat to the island, drive them to the edge of a mountain, then pack it on a donkey and take it the rest of the way to her mother's place way up in the hills. Refrigerator, microwave oven, washing machine, etc.

All that was cheaper than buying the same product locally and taking it home. The appliances were made in China, taken by ship to California, trucked 3000 miles to Florida, then flown air freight by the pound back to Manilla. All that because so some scumbag in government would get his cut. All this cost Cecillia a year's wages as a nursing assistant.

Lithium batteries are a problem to ship inside the US now. Any loose primary cell lithium cannot legally be shipped by passenger air after Jan 1. The US Post Office uses passenger air to ship mail. Only primary lithium cells installed in a device are exempt from the regulation