Author Topic: Coil tension  (Read 2050 times)

dexterdixon

Coil tension
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm making a grid-tie stator with 15 coils so am trying to automate/standardize the process as much as possible.

I'm interested to hear/see any designs you guys may have for simple tensioner for coil winding. I'm messing about with nylon washers at the moment but thought I'd see if there's a proven setup any of you guys have come up with.

I am also considering adding a motor (possibly just a cordless drill?!?) to the winder and wondered whether anyone has any experience/advice on that front?

Many thanks,

Tom

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Coil tension
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
I almost always use a cordless drill now for winding coils.  Much faster and they come out neater.  I've been doing it this way for a while, I was very afraid to let 'students' do this at workshops for a bit but discovered that it's usually easier for everyone even on their first coil.  I've seen lots of ways to keep even tension.  I find my left hand and a glove works as well as anything  :)
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
For small numbers of small coils Dan's glove is as good a method as any.

With hand turning there is little point in doing anything else. I suppose it is a personal preference about using a cordless drill.

With a properly motorised winder with speed control some better tensioning may just be worthwhile. Pulling the wire between a pair of pads of felt with an adjustable clamp works ok, it lets you concentrate on steering the wire.  Elaborate straighteners and tensioners are not worth the trouble for such small coils, by the time you got it set you have finished the coil.

Flux

TDC

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
My winder has a 32 RPM, 90VDC gear head motor.  It's powered through a variable speed foot pedal and bridge rectifier.
The tensioner is two pieces of leather clamped between the steel plates.  The tensioner works OK, but it's tough getting even tension between the wires when winding two in hand.  Next time I will also apply tension by hand with a leather glove.  I'll be adding a  counter and reverse switch.
 Here's a picture... http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148618.0.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:05:50 AM by TDC »

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »
I made a tensioner of sorts.  It has nylon bushings and guides to protect the wires, but otherwise is just spring tensioned.  Seem to work pretty good.  A counter would be a plus.  I found when I was concentrating on the wire laps, and placement it was easy to loose track.  In the end I weighed all the coils, then it was pretty easy to tell if I had an extra turn (& I occasionally did).

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
Two in hand wire does present a challenge, my suggestion is that you tension each wire separately with a leather or felt pad and then run the pair together though an additional pad with only very light tension to keep the wires coming from the same exact direction, the glove may well be good enough for the final stage.

Flux