Author Topic: looking for bulk solar panels (48v 3.8kw)  (Read 2634 times)

sunbelt57

looking for bulk solar panels (48v 3.8kw)
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
A couple years ago I bought some of the flexible panels - PVL-128 from UNI-SOLAR - and since they were designed for a flat metal roof and my location (S.E. WY) is so windy its just not practical to use them. I was planning on building wood stands in a triangle shape to mount them. I've decide to try and sell all 30 of them locally at a discount or keep them for backup or just lay them out on the ground in the summer. Anyway here's my setup:

48v ~3800 watts

Outback VFX3648
Classic Lite 150
3 or 4 rows of 12v deep cycle batteries - 4 in series

I live in a small town and will probably have to have them shipped to the nearest UPS center. So what's the best panels to buy? I see that most places have ~20 per pallet @250w/panel which comes to around 5kW ~= $5000. I wouldn't mind driving to Denver to pick them up since I go there once or twice a year.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:13:21 PM by sunbelt57 »

sunbelt57

Re: looking for bulk solar panels (48v 3.8kw)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
A couple years ago I bought some of the flexible panels - PVL-128 from UNI-SOLAR - and since they were designed for a flat metal roof and my location (S.E. WY) is so windy its just not practical to use them. I was planning on building wood stands in a triangle shape to mount them. I've decide to try and sell all 30 of them locally at a discount or keep them for backup or just lay them out on the ground in the summer. Anyway here's my setup:

48v ~3800 watts

Outback VFX3648
Classic Lite 150
3 or 4 rows of 12v deep cycle batteries - 4 in series

I live in a small town and will probably have to have them shipped to the nearest UPS center. So what's the best panels to buy? I see that most places have ~20 per pallet @250w/panel which comes to around 5kW ~= $5000. I wouldn't mind driving to Denver to pick them up since I go there once or twice a year.
I also don't mind paying extra for more wattage per sf of panel since wind is a factor.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:30:09 PM »
Have you looked into Sunelec or Solar Blvd for assistance in buying the news ones?
I'm Sunelec has a warehouse out in Phoenix too I think. Both sell in bulk.
Both have good reputations.
Best of luck!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
I got mine from Renvu. They sometimes have seconds at a reduced price. They had some recently for about $0.65/w.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~