Author Topic: Inverter switching off when bateries charged  (Read 2921 times)

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Inverter switching off when bateries charged
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
The inverter shuts off in the afternoon on sunny days. I think that when the batteries are charged the controller sends pulses that trip the over voltage shutoff on the inverter. I have seen pulses on a volt meter of about 30v. If  there is more load on the system or several panels turned off the doesn't happen. This is a 24v system with 8 155ah agm batteries and 10 250w panels. 3000w pure sine wave inverter. Does any one have any ideas on how to solve this. I am helping a friend with this I have a system like his but with a different inverter and don't have any problems. We have tried a different inverter ( the same kind) with the same problem We tried a msw inverter and it worked.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Re: Inverter switching off when bateries charged
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
Is this system a new one or has it been in use for awhile? Are you able to charge the batteries with a gen-set threw the inverter? If it is new then you should be able to contact the inverter company and ask a few questions. Some systems do not seem to work with other components of different brands. Maybe different settings on the controller if adjustable will help. Just a few ideas.  13
MntMnROY 13

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »
I would think it is a controller problem.  Likely this is just a simple PWM controller and the pulses are long enough to trip the inverter.  Two options, a dump load like a GHURD or a voltage monitor that disconnects maybe half the panels when batteries reach a certain level. 

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
Is  this is a powerjack LF pure sine wave unit or a powerstar W7 type inverter? ( same controller cards very very good, but this is a glitch I have found with them)
They are prone to this, and a zener or a resistor in the right place will stop it from happening.

.............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

WindriderNM

• WindriderNM
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
It is a powerjack. I was thinking that a zener or cap may work. Where do I put the the zener or resistor and what value resisror.

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
R14 is the resistor to bypass. I use a 5v6 zener with the cathode to the chip end. This kills the hig voltage sensing, but will effect the internal charger ( I don't use)

You can play with different resistor values to change it, but i have not bothered.

That resistor has cut if low next to it, it is a 1/4w,, easy to find near the mother chip

....oztules

Flinders Island Australia

WindriderNM

• WindriderNM
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
thank you for the help