Author Topic: SW4024 Problems  (Read 4359 times)

CBabcock

SW4024 Problems
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm in need of some help here.  My trusty Trace SW4024 gave up on me yesterday.  I believe it may have taken a lightning strike.  The inverter does not have any of the LEDs lit nor is anything being displayed on the LCD screen, but the LCD backlight lights up.  Neither the AC input or DC input breakers were tripped when I found the inverter not operating.  When I cycle the DC breaker, the inverter makes it's normal initial 'click' after a couple seconds, but that is it.  Does anyone know where or how to get parts for these things?  I'm suspecting it may be a bit of a challenge since this inverter has not be in production for quite some time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as my entire system is down now....

Thanks
Corey

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: SW4024 Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
The nature of lightning is that the damage can hide.  Even if you fix the obvious damage, latent damage may prevent it from working normally without a very detailed study.  The prospect of having your system back in operation any time soon if you rely on repairs is pretty low.  Have you opened the cover yet to survey the damage yet?

The workhorse Trace SW4024 can still be found for sale (try e-bay?).  Although...  people who use them are likely still relying on them.  I'll probably never sell mine before it quits.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
Try cutting all power to the 4024 and let it sit for several minutes. Then hook it back up and turn it on. I think it have an automatic shutdown internally and it may reset it's self. Check for scorched ground wires. Just an idea. 13
MntMnROY 13

CBabcock

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
I did open the case up yesterday evening and nothing inside, that I can see, is burnt or shows any signs of physical failure.  It was actually very clean for being nearly 15 years old.  The unit does not have a smell to it of any sort either.  It almost seems like the display board may have been zapped.  It's acting like it needs to be switched from 'Off' to 'On' via the initial settings screen when I power it on, but the screen is blank and there's no response from any key presses.

Believe me, I tried cycling power to it several times to see if it would come back to life but no dice.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:26 AM »
Does the controller have any electrolytic capacitors? Those are only good for x hours. If a cap went bad things will quit. If you have an ESR meter you can check the circuit live without the need to unsolder one end of the cap.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:53:22 PM »
As mentioned remove all power to it and let it sit 15 minutes. That will reset the CPU(s) in it. Look for electrolytic capacitors that are bulging up on top or bottom, or have what looks like a liquid stain around the bottom.

CBabcock

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
Well about the best I have been able to pin down is that there's a hidden message in my inverter that is printed on the FET board from the factory.  It reads:
"Perhaps she had been sniffing ferric chloride too much? This is a favorite passtime of some. Canadian Trolls A"
...Made me giggle a bit.

I've got a couple inquiries in with a few locals who are very good with electronics and their repair.  One fella actually has been repairing Trace / Xantrex stuff for quite a few years.  Granted, what he is used to working on is boards for 750+ kW wind turbines, but I'm sure he would be my best bet at a repair.  Otherwise, I may also have a lead on a used inverter with a couple minor issues that would not matter to me that is for sale at a good price.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:33 PM »
Trace circuit boards....  always the gag on them somewhere.
My C40 controller wishes me to "Have a Nice Day" every time I remove the cover.

In the same sense...  Maybe all you need is a new HAL 9000!

The front panel is easy to replace and (back in the day) could be bought as spares, especially helpful for people who wanted remote access to the controls when installed in vehicles/boats/etc. and just needed an extra ribbon cable from the connectors on the side, which would then run a slave control panel.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca