Author Topic: Can you ID this part in my compressor motor?  (Read 3765 times)

MN Ben

• Just dabbling with little windmills.
Can you ID this part in my compressor motor?
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct section to post.......
My compressor motor failed some time ago. The capacitor is good so I started digging into the motor to find the switch contacts and ran across this thing that seemed to have gotten fried. Probably from too many cold winter day startups.
Can someone ID it for me and suggest where to shop for a new one?
Thank you for your help. Ben

Just dabbling with little windmills.

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Can you ID this part in my compressor motor?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
looks like a thermal switch[shuts down the motor when it overheats]--you could just discard it and wire the two wires togeather[tape of course]....its a safty switch--the call is yours !  or go to a local motor shop and buy one or online ?
WILD in ALASKA

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »
Considering you are likely around when it is running and can stop it in the event of a problem, I would just short it out.  From pictures it looks like a crimp problem caused it.  Adjacent windings may have damaged insulation.  I would run it for a month or more before putting money into it.

MN Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
Thank you all. There is an electric motor shop in my town. I may stop there to see if he has this part for me. Otherwise I will connect the wires and be sure to disconnect it when not in use as I used to just leave it on and it would kick in once or twice a day to re-pressurize the tank. I will probably switch out the oil with Mobil One as it still has the original oil in it from 20 years ago.

Now I know why my ice maker in the fridge/freezer quit working. The wire on that thermal protector burned off as well. Although that one is smaller and I do not think I would want to short it out as that ice maker would run in our kitchen when we are gone or sleeping.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
Those thermal cutouts are readily available from electronics supply houses if you can pull a number from it I could find one that is suitable.

OperaHouse

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
Those in freezers and ice makers are generally connected to heaters in defrosters or the ice tray as it goes into a timed melt before ejecting ice.  They insure the heating never gets much above freezing.   Many a refrigerator has been replaced because these opened and the freezer coil filled solid with ice.  I've replaced a couple.

MN Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
I wired the compressor together. ....shorted it. I will just leave the ice maker as we don't use ice anyway.
Ben

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 04:30:44 PM »
        :}
WILD in ALASKA