Author Topic: Active Equalisation  (Read 3565 times)

waitatian

Active Equalisation
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:47:44 AM »
An internet search for "life extension through charge equalization of lead acid batteries" should get to an IEEE paper that shows the advantages of better battery equalization.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Active Equalisation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »
And?
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
It does. Only 2 papers show up, both by the same author and more than 10 years old.
You can't read the papers themselves without permission, only reviews.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/searchresult.jsp?newsearch=true&queryText=life+extension+through+charge+equalization+of+lead+acid+batteries

waitatian

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
A site called windandsunpower.com/Download/intelec02.PDF showed up about 5 down  on my search.
The paper describes:
State of charge vs cell voltage
How normal equalization needs to be continued for 16 hours or more to be effective
The effects of unmatched, damaged or aging cells on  string capacity and life
By keeping all cell voltages within about 10mv of each other, the string capacity and longevity can almost match the figures for a single cell
A defective cell can be exchanged with a new one without causing any problems
It improves life/capacity of strings of batteries as well as strings of individual cells

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Bulk of us know this all ready, what I am wondering what is "your" point and or view?
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

waitatian

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:21:56 AM »
I wondered why my batteries were not lasting very long after I went from 24v to 48v.
Thanks to microhydro,they were not flattened or left without charging. Prior to investigating this problem, I had not seen any literature on individual cell/battery voltage drifting once the regulator fixes the system voltage.
The problem may be commonly known, but for those that didnt know, the knowledge can save a lot of money.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
The methode used to fix flooded cell imbalance is a controlled over charge till all cells off gas and Sp is at the highest level with no change, for this you need to add water.

this is 101 of lead acid care.

You all so need to ensure never going under 50% as this will reduce the life time of the batteries.

You must only use new batteries when making new voltage strings, never mix new with old, and then you need to excersize the bank ones installed.