Author Topic: Can I have different wattage panels connected to the same charge controller  (Read 3026 times)

whatusernamesareleft

Will mixing panels like for example like an 80 and 100 watt solar panel,  can they both be connected to the same charge controller?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
If the panels are directly connected to the battery and the controller is a diversion controller then it will work, most other options would need more information on panels and controller.

Flux

OperaHouse

If mixed panels it will be best if you use a PWM controller as the power point voltage of the panels  will be different.  Best to just use the current mode.  Of course series is out of the question. 

whatusernamesareleft

I ordered a 80 watt from alt e, and then I found a 100 watt grape solar panel on amazon for slightly less a day or 2 later.  If the 80watt panel has to have its own charge controller that is fine with me.  When I go up to a 100 watt panel, I will get another charge controller.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
I assume from your response that you want to charge a 12V battery. Then it's ok to parallel those two panel and connect them both to one controller - as long as the controller can handle the combined power. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

whatusernamesareleft

Yep, just 12 volt batteries only. 

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Yes it will be fine with a pwm controller big enough for both panels. As previously stated series connection is not an option and you will not benefit from mppt using nominal 12v panels in parallel.

For starter level at 12v this will be fine. If your controller can handle 180W it will deal with both panels.

Flux

whatusernamesareleft

Excellent!  Thanks for the help everyone! 8)