Author Topic: Converting power created from a homemade generator  (Read 35476 times)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Converting power created from a homemade generator
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:31 AM »
got any wire left?
like, enough for two more coils?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
Yes it's a linear relationship, indeed.

Right now, you're in a position to look at details that may have a significant effect.
Are you using the rotor from October (saw blade)?  Just one or do you have two?
If you tested with just one, then adding another disk will do much more than double the voltage.
And the thickness of the saw blade - that's another factor. 
The rule of thumb is that the steel backing the magnets should be as thick as the magnets.

Did you measure AC volts, or DC volts?  Big difference.  Especially considering that many multi-meters will tell LIES when you give them wild AC.
If you rectify the AC from the generator you can have much more confidence that the DC volts reading is reliable, even on a cheap multimeter.

Did you connect your coils in Star or Delta?  With 6 coils it's also possible to connect the star in Parallel, but you probably didn't.

Each of these things could significantly increase the voltage you measure.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Gitrmstr

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm almost all out of copper wire, not enough to make any more coils.

Here is some of the info regarding the build,
Magnet thickness : 14 mm
Saw blade thickness : 1 mm
Wiring Pattern:

I apologize in advance for my Microsoft paint skills :P

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
ok , last year you got advice from lots of different quarters and i think there is confusion and problems with the way you have laid your stator out .
from the diagram you just posted, you have 6 coils which is the proper number for three phase if you have rotors with 8 magnets.
but your showing the six coils wired in series which is totally wrong for 3 phase .
in three phase every 3rd coil is wired in series .
in your case that is two coils
and in three phase each of those two coils is laid out so that the winding direction is the same .
in fact, in three phase every coil in the stator is laid out so that the direction of winding is the same.
 i think the confusion started when you changed from your original wooden radial layout and moved on to an axial flux design.
give the six coils a number. your number 1 coil should be in series with number 4 coil
number 2 with number 5 and number 3 with number 6
all the coils should be wound in the same direction. and wired start to tail to start to tail.
when done correctly you will have 3 sets of coils. each set having two coils . altogether 6 wire ends will be free.
at that point you can decide how to combine the wires in star or delta.

you are using medium strength ceramic magnets. also known as ferrite magnets.

if you were using neo magnets with perhaps ten times the flux density you would need very thick steel rotors to contain the flux.
do a test on the back side of your magnet rotor with a paper clip . to see if it will stick to the saw blade.

do a voltage test on coil number 1, using the same rpm, wire coil number 1 and 4 together. the voltage should be double. if not , switch the connection.
you should test each phase (two series wired  coils)of your stator individually.
you should get about the same reading from all three depending on the same rpm for each  test.
please post again when you get that sorted out .

don't give up.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:05:10 AM by electrondady1 »

Gitrmstr

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
Alright there is no magnetism on the back side of the saw blade so it seems to be containing the flux of the magnets.

I had wondered whether 3 phase would be worth it or feasible seeing as my saw blade diameter only really allows for 6 magnets to fit comfortably. Also with my limited understanding of electrical systems it seemed simpler to just do single phase.

I was considering remaking the wooden housing for the coils since the scrap board I originally used is covered in splinters.

I may completely restart my work with a fresh mind and new knowledge this year depending on how much time I can allocate to the project.

Thank you all for your input and information, this forum made my interest in home built energy become a passion!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Dude,
You may be 6 snips and 6 twists away from a working rotor.  Don't throw it all away now!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
when i first got started, i built two alternators using three phase.
but with ceramic mags, i couldn't get the voltage i wanted at the rpm i was getting.
 i started doing single phase.
it uses  all the mags and all the coils all the time .

works for me.