Author Topic: Mounting Panels Wood vs Steel  (Read 3782 times)

kittysmitty

Mounting Panels Wood vs Steel
« on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
I picked up some used panels complete with a pole mount. I going to replace the wood 4x4 post with a steel post. And I was going to replace the two 2x4 cross supports with steel or aluminium. I having second thoughts on the 2x4. Do you think the 2x4's will have sufficient strength? Thanks

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Mounting Panels Wood vs Steel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
Reverend Woodwarp N. Glasskiller certainly might make himself available to preach at the memorial service!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I had a radiator on a van that would split open while driving. Turns out the frame was flexing from rust rot. I fixed that by only using 2 screws on opposing corners and leaving the remaining two not completely tight.

Those panels might survive wood warp if you don't tie them down too tight. THAT SAID, I used wood flats to hold up panels in my back yard and they rotted out in about 2 years. Came home one day after a storm and found them on the ground. Same trouble with steel frames. Those rust out quickly, too.

Stick with aluminum if you can. Home Depot sells L sections of aluminum if you don't know a scrap dealer to get pieces from.

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want my panels hanging like that.

While steel can rust, especially if you are near the ocean, properly coated it will last a long time. I built the rack for my 4.4kW of panels mounted on a shipping container from steel. I built it all to fit, took it apart and had it powder coated. It still looks the same as it did several years later. And the powder coating was cheap. The local shop will give you a deal if it is just a few pieces and you don't care what color it is. In my case I wanted a particular color so I paid a little more.

Jonathan

kittysmitty

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
All right you have  convinced me. Painted Steel or Aluminium. Thanks for your reply. I do value your opinions.

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
That looks real good. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
My support frame is all wood but I used steel rails for mounting the panels. Never had a problem! Panels are on aluminum Z brackets to attach to the rail.

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
I like that setup even better.  I may try that when I get ambitious.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
The Z brackets between the panel and the steel rails are key I think. They can flex side to side relieving stress on the panels.