Author Topic: Output questions  (Read 2922 times)

troymoore4

Output questions
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:37:12 PM »
As said in a privios post, I am working on a generator. I am hitting a roadblock of sorts when I try to find out how to wire in a standard 3prong plug of the same type I use daily.  Another thing I would like to do with this project is to have the initial output wired to a switch that will let me switch from ac output to DC output as need/desired. I'm familiar with the kind oif switch I would need.  I just have no idea where to find them.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Output questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:26 AM »
If the alternator is 3-phase and you want to run the wires to a standard NEMA 120V plug, then try to include a way of preventing anyone from putting the plug in a wall outlet.  The result could be disastrous but the reason is simple curiosity.  If you want to try that then look for the plug and receptacle sets you can get at the hardware store for repairing extension cords.  If you look, you will discover that there are a hundred different varieties of plug-receptacle combinations that would work, so you don't really have to use the standard NEMA "5-15" plug.

As for your second question, I think you need a 3-pole switch to do that.  They are readily available at Digikey, Mouser online, and if you have an electronics store nearby you will probably find an assortment there, too.  I also find them at surplus stores like Harbor Freight (Princess Auto here in Canada).  They would also have the receptacles you want.

Disclaimer:
Inadvertent overspending on nifty gadgets as a result of entering a HF store cannot be blamed on me!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

troymoore4

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »
my intentions are to have this generator be efficient enough to serve as an alternate power source for a house and also serve to, hopefuly, decrease dependace upon municipal grids for power to the point of no longer drawing power from the grid. that being said, i still need to find a way to be able to use it as an emergency power source as well.so what circuits and/or components would allow me to accomplish this?

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Let's get a few details ironed out about this generator you are talking about before anyone can advise you on what or how to connect it to supply your house or part of the house in emergency situations.

In your very first post  a thread named Stator wiring http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148844.msg1035453.html#msg1035453  you talked about this
  ((i am planning out a generator that has multiple stators and rotors.  i plan on using the same winding, wire guage, and coil placement for each one.  i was wanting to know how to wire them.  di i wire them separately or together somehow?  if together, then what is the best method of doing so?))
  If the generator you are talking about now is a commercially manufactured genset this is one thing depending on the size it may have only  the Mema 5-15 receptacles or if it is a little larger say 5KW or more it could have a wider array of receptacles such as a Mema L6-30 a very common one used on 5 to 7KW or others far too numerous to list here. any one of these would be the socket of choice for the power cord to a switch-gear setup to go from grid to generator either a manual switch or a fully automatic set up.

If in fact you are considering building your own homebuilt generator then first off how will it be powered?Or would this be a ST generator head?  would it be powered by a constant source of power such as an engine like my 300 to 600 RPM  Listeroid 6 to 9 HP diesel that will run on reprocessed used motor oil. or a fully governed gas or diesel engine, or a semi constant power source such as a hydro turbine ? in any case the generator would need a suitable AVR to control the output voltage for clean power.
 if this is to be a generator powered by wind or any other periodic source then you are talking about a whole new can of worms MPPT controlors energy storage inverters and such.

As Sparweb stated it is not a good idea to use a standard wall plug for your power receptacle
  Since I am off grid I use solar and batteries as my grid and either my 6 KW diesel 240v Maxim or the 14KW Kubota for back up and my 7.5 KW 3 ph Onan to power my 17" Leblond lathe ,my 210 amp single ph Mig welder or my 300 amp 3ph stick welder.and my Enco Mill

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:49:12 AM by Frank S »
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

troymoore4

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
keep in mind that i am still very much in the planning and research stage with it.  i hope to have it power its self by means of an induction motor.  i plan on doing a lot of experimenting with coils/stators and magnets to find the right set up to supply the required power for said motor.

as for how the losd will be put bto use, in hind sight, i can see i wqwsant as clear as i could have been and so appologize.  originaly, i wanted to be able to plug things right into the generator and run them right from the source, but i can see now that its going to be a big butt-pain for me to set it up like that.  a better question likely would have been 'how can i set it up to run my electric needs durring a power outtage but still have it supply suplimental power when municipal power is on and working?'

i also forgot about the battery bank i want to inclde in all of this. 

like i said, its stillin the planning and research stage right now.  i still have A LOT of research and planning to do before i start building.

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
((keep in mind that i am still very much in the planning and research stage with it.  i hope to have it power its self by means of an induction motor.  i plan on doing a lot of experimenting with coils/stators and magnets to find the right set up to supply the required power for said motor.))
 NO such animal in existence in our known universe.  Nothing can power itself at least not in this universe. what you are thinking about falls into the category of OU ( over unity)
 Y0ou may powe a generator by an induction motor such as a motor generator but the Motor part requires an imput of electrical energy and will never put out as much as it consumes.
 this link explains in simple terms the law of conservation of energy
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/conservation-of-energy.html

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
As far as constructing something to be able to supplement or even over power your grid to reduce your dependency on grid power that can be done it takes some engineering to come up with a suitable electrical energy producing source with grid tie and switch over. even building your own generator from scratch can be done If you have the expertise you could even construct your own grid tie inverter and switch gear the AVR for the generator and most every thing else but no matter what you decide to do there will have to be a supply of energy in some form be it fossil fuels renewable fuels re constituted fuel to power some form of engine. even heat and cold can be utilized as a source of input energy, wind , solar , hydro or a combination of all of these can be used so long as there is more energy available for consumption than what will be produced in the form of electricity.
 Sorry to sound like I am ragging on you, I am not I and the otheres on these forums don't want you to start heading down the path of OU
 it is quite simply taboo

troymoore4

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
I believe that there is a way to make it work. Whether I give the motor its own set of stators and rotors, whether I have it run of of battery power, or(as will likely be more efficient) I use both batteries and the motor having is own stator(s) g rotor(s).  I'll find a way.  I'm just that stubborn and mule-headed.

Frank S

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
 Believe what you want my friend it is taboo here one of the very very few subjects that are.
  things like Ohms law Betz's law  the law of thermodynamics. the law of Gravity. and many other laws. through out history have been challenged numerous times. these laws were not made up by some half witted lawyer,or politician ( my apologies to all the half witted lawyers and politicians) these laws are laws of the universe as we know it or at least our corner of it at this time. They have been tried and tested ever since their inception. Even the theory of relativity while as of late still classed as a theory has yet to be disproved.
 E=MC2 does not have a + sign after it
  I wish you well in your endeavor  Perhaps you are the one who will actually do it, Many have tried all have failed Not even the IMHO greatest inventor of modern times Nicola Tesla could do it or if he did he never published it and took it to his grave.
 I am telling you this before the Mods get around to telling you. You have every right to pursue what ever you want but until someone actually constructs a fully functional model that can be repeated and proven to function as claimed by others any discussion having to do with OU will have to be done somewhere else. Sorry 

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
****BEGIN GM MODE****

Sir;
Frank S
Knows what he's talking about AND the MODs have been watching all along.
I wanted to see where this was going.
It is okay to be stubborn or want to prove one way or the other.
We like people taking chances. Learning is a beautiful thing. ;)

BUT be-careful of the math .

****END GM MODE****
We do have a years worth of reading in the FAQ section.
Some of the world's best proven people have written those.

Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard