Author Topic: What if I want to delete my account?  (Read 9846 times)

whatusernamesareleft

What if I want to delete my account?
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
How do I delete my account, so I know in the future?

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
Re: What if I want to delete my account?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
You can stop using your account at any time.

We generally only delete SPAM posts and accounts.

Rgds

Damon

george65

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »

I always find it amusing when you get kicked off a forum but then they refuse to delete your account or your posts.
A friend pointed out it's often because the owners want to be able to say " We have xxx members and there are XXX posts on our boards" so as to add value to the worth of the forum for advertisers.

I have had a few that wouldn't let me delete my posts after they kicked me.  It's bloody hypocritical to say we don't want you here but we want to keep everything you have posted.  Bad Luck, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too with me.  Had that a few times which really ticks me off. Asked nicely for them to remove my posts which is the click of a button and they come back all indignant with excuses and Insulting crap. 
Fine, you don't want to be civil and mature about it, I'm happy to do it the hard way.
Costs them money and a lot more time and aggro than if they just did the right thing in the first place and everyone moved on, but the way some of these people are, it's entirely predictable.
They seem to think that they have some rights to your literary work because you put it on their site but they really don't have a clue.

A friend of mine got kicked off a forum last week. He's in his late '70's and the most confrontational guy you would ever meet. He loves to help people and being retired has lots of time he likes to devote to that.  He's also one of the most knowledgeable people on the subject and proves that in practice time and time again. They gave him the arse because the ego tripping and self righteous mods were just jealous of his skills and knowledge and the fact he innocently in the spirit of trying to help would politely suggest and then demonstrate and put up a video of how to do it better.  Some just have an ingrained mentality of my way is the only way.  Morons. They have a history of getting rid of the most knowledgeable and helpful people there as clearly the owners want to play god and don't want anyone else to appear more conversant and expert on the subject than they.

What makes me laugh is these clowns kicked him off a forum which stops anyone benefiting his extensive knowledge and a lot of people going there for that, but he can still read anything they put up.... not that there is any benefit to him.

If you want to delete any account and there is no provision, always ask professionally and maturely.  If that is ignored, there are easy, no cost ways of having things removed that forum operators will have to comply with or are at great risk of having their sites taken down and other ramification if they have advertisers on the site. Many don't know the back end of how things work and get a shock when they aren't as clever as they thought. 

I'm sure that you would not need to worry about that here though for what ever reason you wanted to move on.

Mary B

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
In EU that may be the case, USA based forums do not have those laws behind them. And to delete an account requires a super moderator with that access and they do have lives besides volunteering for a forum!

george65

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »

The laws Do apply to the US i'm afraid. Perhaps you are thinking of different ones to which I am thinking of.

As far as moderators having lives outside the forum, seriously?  It takes the press of a button. Mods are on the forums they manage frequently  so that's a complete cop out. If they were so pressed for time in their busy lives, they wouldn't be posting or taking on the job in the first place would they?
Always seem to have time to remove anything they don't like on any forum I have seen.

I don't suppose your manage a forum at all do you?

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
Hi george65,

I have been kicked off  2 forums.

In both cases I am told that I am upsetting and disrespecting the retail backers/owners of those forums.

Some of what you say is very relevant. My posts are still there.... and I am, according to them, still a member. But my posts may help others.......

I have moved on, got away from the armchair lot, learnt and made some real cool stuff with the fantastic hands on members here. So being kicked off has done me good.

I am not very eloquent at writing in such a way as to get my point of view over in a discrete manner, but if I can help others with what I have done, I will, just excuse my writings…

My hat is duly raised to the Patient and Polite Mods here, as they have to put up with all are Human Frailties’.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (9 years).  .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (5 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled Used/SH GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with AC Coupling to the OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries.

george65

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:38:57 AM »
Hi george65,

I have been kicked off  2 forums.

In both cases I am told that I am upsetting and disrespecting the retail backers/owners of those forums.

Wow, Never heard that one before but I can see how it could be relevant.
There can be all sorts of hidden agenda's and behind the scenes going's on one may not be aware of.

David HK

• Hubei Province China - wind farm control room
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
Some very interesting points of view.

Damon,  can  you please explain more fully one of the words in your sentence "We generally only delete SPAM posts and accounts." What are 'accounts"? Singular or plural. I understand SPAM.

Dave

DamonHD

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:16:37 AM »
Hi,

All I meant by that if someone joins to SPAM and all their posts are SPAM (or otherwise unhelpful) then I follow the TomW school of moderation and remove the entire account and all its postings.  No point in leaving annoying garbage in plain sight.

But if a poster has contributed usefully, and/or deleting posts would vandalise a whole thread and make it impossible to understand, then I'd be far more selective about what to zap, within the time that I have available.

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »
Here there really isn't hidden agendas, nor is it merely a push of the button as george65 alluded to.  :P

Here ALL of the mods do actually have jobs, family and other interests.

I work for the Fire Department , imagine if you will, being 1 of 3 IT people who service over 900 FF and some 300 EMT/paramedics spread over 3 shifts. You can begin to imagine the beatings the equipment takes.

When someone post pictures here, according to what I've been told by people smarter than I(Meaning they get paid to be smart), there is an argument that those then belong to the forum. Microsoft calls up EULA when someone threatens lawsuit.

When stuff is posted here, and someone wants their account deleted, we can certainly do that, BUT it ain't easy.
Deleting an account causes links to be broken and those then need to be fixed or locked, that takes time. This is the reason we say , we generally lock the account. Some who've request their accounts be deleted have actually come back after a period and wanted back in under their old accounts. This makes it easier for everyone involved.

One of the things DamonHD was talking about is the SPAM bots that are constantly trying to get in. When we see those we actually delete them. That's easy enough since they've not yet posted enough to cause a huge problem.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

george65

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »

All this begs the original question, If a person wants to delete their account and postings, are the admins going to respect a persons wishes and right to control their literary work or are they going to refuse based on some sort of self interest?

A Yes or No answer will be fine thank you.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Im the fall back measure if you feel you want to delete your account PM me... And if you upload a picture we will delete it. Its not the forums property.

dbcollen

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »
Are you interested in deleting your account, or are you just stirring the poo? I personally believe what you post into a public forum belongs to the public and you have no right to "unwrite" it just as you cannot "unsay" something you have spoken. Also, it is very disruptive to the threads to have part of the conversation disappear.

george65

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
Are you interested in deleting your account, or are you just stirring the poo?

The question was asked and I believe it is a fair one and I would like to know the answer. Others obviously would too.
I think your question is far more stirring and unnecessary and rather typical of those that want to belittle something they don't like.

I personally believe what you post into a public forum belongs to the public and you have no right to "unwrite" it just as you cannot "unsay" something you have spoken. Also, it is very disruptive to the threads to have part of the conversation disappear.

I believe your position of belonging to the public is mistaken as a point of law not to mention morally.
The public Domain is a pretty old chestnut that has been proven flawed time and time again. You may be fine with your contributions being profited from once an agreement has been ended but I am not and have rights with regards to that.

I work in a creative field where ones intellectual property is something to be protected and valued. It is also valuable from the POV of licensing. My work is always displayed to the public, that's what gives it any value in the first place.  There is such a thing as right of Veto which you are obviously not familiar with and that gives a person certain powers and control over their work be it licensed or not. 

A forum such as this is not owned by the public at all otherwise " the public" would be due a share of the advertising revenue the site raises and also have a say in the way it is run. As that clearly is not the case, then I don't believe your aspersion of material placed on the forum is public property in any way shape or form. The Forum is not of domestic use meaning from a legal POV it is a business or non personal in nature.  This also has certain implications as to the use and control  by the creator of anything posted.

I don't have any intention to delete my account at this point in time but if for some reason the owners no longer wish to avail themselves of my input here in the future, I would like to know if they are prepared to remove my past contributions if I so ask.

I believe that is a fair and straight forward question in how they may be prepared to respect my wishes.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »
wow, is this still otherpower or a place for  literary works works ?

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
electrondady1;
It's still otherpower, it's just that there are those who seem hell bent on stirring the pot and right at Christmas time too.

The current MODs are somewhat more laid back than our predecessors, maybe we shouldn't be?

george65 ;
I'm calling BS on this one, prove to me your works posted here aren't public domain? I don't want emotional slants either, I don't want you just saying what you think is correct, show me legal proof and by legal proof I mean internationally accepted proof.   
Am I running the probability of getting locked into read only by the Owners,Admins, MODs? sure but you're opinion is no more important (or no less important ) than mine. I'm prepared to run that risk.

I know JW has the overriding ability to delete an entire account no matter what the MODs say, but then again he knows full well the amount of work that goes into fixing broken links (He's had to fix bunches in the past.

Did the OP bring up a great subject? YES.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

george65

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 07:39:15 AM »
george65 ;

I'm calling BS on this one, prove to me your works posted here aren't public domain? I don't want emotional slants either, I don't want you just saying what you think is correct, show me legal proof and by legal proof I mean internationally accepted proof.   

No.
Sorry Bruce but I'm not doing your homework for you. I made a statement, you want to challenge it, YOU show ME the proof what I say isn't right.
I have done my homework some time ago.  I'm not handing it to anyone on a plate that can't be bothered to put the time or effort in to find out and educate themselves. If your level of interest doesn't run to that, fine.  I would suggest however it would be prudent not to "call BS" on anything however you have not researched for yourself.

I know JW has the overriding ability to delete an entire account no matter what the MODs say, but then again he knows full well the amount of work that goes into fixing broken links (He's had to fix bunches in the past.

If JW is the supreme power, he seems to have a much better position than some others here in he recognises what is and is not the property of the forum.  Be it pictures or words, it's the same thing and you can look that up if you care to or claim it BS till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned.
Up to you to be informed or just think you are.

I have to say, you keep going on about the amount of time to delete an account and how you are so busy and mods have lives etc,  yet you have time to post multiple times a day on this one topic alone.  Can you see the conflict between what you are saying and what you are doing?
This is the sort of thing that make me more interested in a straightforward answer to the question that could have already been stated and put this to bed.

Again, I'm not stirring, I have just asked ( a couple of times now) for a straightforward answer.  Others are avoiding that and are doing the stirring by making accusations about others. A straight answer is all that is required. I don't know why some seem so damn afraid to clarify what the position is and are getting upset over it.
The more it's avoided the more one can only wonder if some don't know or don't want to give an answer and are trying to side track things. If you don't want to participate in the thread, you don't have to do that either.

I was not aware whom JW is but if he is the forum owner, then the question seems to have been answered by him more directly than others.

A clear statement of  forum policy on this "great question" would be helpful.

dbcollen

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 07:54:08 AM »
George,

You CHOSE to CONTRIBUTE posts to this forum, and as such have DONATED you words to a public forum. I believe you have no right to take them back. It appears from my end that you are just trying to be abrasive and stir the pot, I am no longer going to participate in this thread, as I see you are firm on your opinion, as am I.

Have a great Holiday Season.

madlabs

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
George, you almost boast about having been thrown out of multiple forums. Ever think about what the common denominator is? Is it that all the mods and participants of these other forums are jerks? Nope. The common denominator is YOU. Lately when I come to this very useful, interesting and well moderated forum, what I see is you stirring the pot. While I believe that your words are public domain (and by the way, proof of that is up to YOU) why don't we ask the  moderators very nicely to go to the time and effort to expunge you and your prattle from the forums. It will be time well spent and there will be no loss to this forum.

Mary B

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
When you sign up for a forum you agree to their terms of service which usually state that all posts are the property of the forum!

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Lets just let this one die, I don't want to lock this thread.

george65

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 06:54:43 PM »
Lets just let this one die, I don't want to lock this thread.

No problem.
The answer is quite clear as is most peoples misconceptions on the matter.