Author Topic: books or sites to learn batteries  (Read 4424 times)

machinemaker

books or sites to learn batteries
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
I feel uneducated about storage. any suggested reading to regarding batteries? and thoughts on tesla's power wall, that they are pre-selling?
Thanks Kent

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: books or sites to learn batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
Storage is the expensive part. Batteries are still the weak link in renewable energy. Much better to reduce use first, that pays off immediately. If you can afford a Tesla battery you probably don't really need it. $3500 plus installation plus the rest of the system to go with it means you are not likely to get your money back anytime soon.

It is designed to load shift for people who pay by time of day for their electricity use.

The real secrets of battery technology are still secret. Patents require disclosure. It better for certain research to just not make known what you know.

That said, traction batteies (flooded lead acid forklift/golf cart) offer the lowest cost per watt of storage and longest life with high tech monitoring.

machinemaker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I have worked around electric forklift for years and have looked at reconditioned forklift batteries. I just do not know enough and need to learn more.
thanks, kent

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
That said, traction batteies (flooded lead acid forklift/golf cart) offer the lowest cost per watt of storage and longest life with high tech monitoring.

That said, traction batteries (flooded lead acid forklift/golf cart) offer the lowest cost per watt of storage and longest WITHOUT high tech monitoring. Just make sure you water them properly, no dry plates, and water AFTER charging to avoid overfilling.

fumble fingers here. :D

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:27 AM »
I found the Battery University site a good read. :) (Got their book on my Kindle too.)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

madlabs

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
Here is my .02....

I think cheap golf cart type traction batteries *can* be the best deal out there. The thing is, you have to treat them VERY nicely. I have been using the same batteries from Sam's club for 8 years now and they still have some life in them.

However, I charge every day, rain or shine. If solar doesn't do it the generator does. I never let them get below 75% state of charge. The old rule of thumb was that you are supposed to be able to go three days without charge. If you want to do that, you need the good batteries, like Surrettes. For me, I hope to get a decade out of my batteries and then buy a set of the same cheap type.

YMMV!

JOnathan

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
I'll 2nd Simen's post. I'm on my 2nd job that uses their Cadex equipment, good solid equipment.
The website seems to have gone through and very nice overhaul too.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

machinemaker

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. We have a small stream and I am trying to muddle my way into fluid dyamics to design a fixed bladed runner for our flow rate,( dang loosing some brain cells there). I have had the homebrewed wind power book for a while and with some or it's ideas, build an axial flux alternater. So I hope to have near constant charging, but varying loads over the day.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
If it's hydro your looking to work with.
Head over here http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/board,7.0.html
Most of the people there are real-world users.
They can help with questions you might have.
They'll need some vital info to help better. Flow rate, Head , etc.
PS>> Pics help too.
Best of Luck
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Deveak

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Unpopular opinion time. The power wall is a big joke and pretty much useless off grid. They designed it at a crazy high voltage where only an electrician can install it and most likely a company one at that, because its so high of a voltage they require a custom inverted made by the company and its price per wh is way above lead acid and even some lithium battery banks. Lead acid still wins and if you read about lithium batteries the cycle life is so up and down among manufacturers its hard to say if they really will outlast larger lead acid batteries.

Look up a book on amazon called the battery builders. Super interesting and explains a lot of the construction and chemistry. Also shows how to build your own cell and repair them.