Author Topic: CENTİRİFUGAL WİND TURBİNE  (Read 5172 times)

atasan2006

• The modest türbinc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:39:43 PM by atasan2006 »
Learn teach you knew you did not know

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: CENTİRİFUGAL WİND TURBİNE
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
i hope it works for you

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Info about pitchcontrolled blades.
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6905
Rgds: Midwoud1

atasan2006

• The modest türbinc
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
i hope it works for you
Thank you very much Mr.electrondady1

atasan2006

• The modest türbinc
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Info about pitchcontrolled blades.
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6905
Rgds: Midwoud1
Thank you very much for your suggestion, Mr.midwoud1

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 04:48:59 AM »
A pitch control system for a rotor with 15 m diameter is described in my report KD 437: Ideas about a pitch control system for the VIRYA-15 windmill. Although this windmill has a rotor with two blades, it gives a lot of information which is also valid for rotors with three blades. Report KD 437 can be copied for free from my website: www.kdwindturbines.nl

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 05:10:52 AM »
It is good to see the ideas being discussed here; thanks all.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
I think some of the early designs with this type of variable pitch had a magnet "hold" from the starting position.  Once the forces overcame the magnet force the spring-loaded mechanism, coupled with a shock absorber allowed the blades to rotate.  Quirks/Dunlite is one that comes to mind.  Anyone recall this, and/or what the benefits might be, if any?

~ks

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:20:25 AM »
Report KD 437 in which the pitch control system of the VIRYA-15 rotor is described, is reviewed. A new chapter 14 has been added with the title: "Adding of a centrifugal weight to a blade". As the aerodynamic moment is rather small, the pitch moment can be increased by adding of a centrifugal weight. The influence of the position of the weight on the pitch moment is discussed in this chapter.

llaind

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:25:21 AM »
Report KD 437 in which the pitch control system of the VIRYA-15 rotor is described, is reviewed. A new chapter 14 has been added with the title: "Adding of a centrifugal weight to a blade". As the aerodynamic moment is rather small, the pitch moment can be increased by adding of a centrifugal weight. The influence of the position of the weight on the pitch moment is discussed in this chapter.

Your reports are amazing. They fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the subject, all the stuff you can't find out about on a web search are in your reports.

llaind

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 08:36:34 AM »
really nice design work

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 04:23:18 AM »
I think some of the early designs with this type of variable pitch had a magnet "hold" from the starting position.  Once the forces overcame the magnet force the spring-loaded mechanism, coupled with a shock absorber allowed the blades to rotate.  Quirks/Dunlite is one that comes to mind.  Anyone recall this, and/or what the benefits might be, if any?

~ks

When I was working at Wind Energy Group of the University of Eindhoven we had a Dunlite wind turbine on the roof of our building. At that time Dunlite was bought by Philips and Philips has given us a wind turbine for testing. The Dunlite had a 3-bladed rotor and a pitch control safety system with an eccentricity in between the blade axis and the rotor axis. A centrifugal weight was mounted directly on the blade shaft of each blade at the back side of the rotor plane, so just as given in figure 7 of KD 437. I don't remember that there was a magnet in this pitch control system. This mechanism wasn't working properly and now I think that I know why.

It appeared that at a certain rotational speed, there was a sudden large shift of the blade angle. This resulted in a strong decrease of the tip speed ratio and so the rotational speed went down. At a certain much lower rotational speed, the blade turned back to its starting position. So there was a strong oscillation of the pitch movement. This oscillation resulted in a large variation of the power at high wind speeds which isn't nice. But the system was good enough to prevent too high rotational speeds at very high wind speeds.

The first reason of the oscillation is that the angle gamma in between the arm of the centrifugal weight and the rotor axis was about zero for the starting position. In figure 8 of KD 437 it can be seen that this results in a strong increase of the centrifugal moment Mc if gamma becomes larger. So once the blade starts moving, it will make a jump. The second reason is that the bearings of a blade are positioned at a small distance of each other. This means that the radial load on these bearings because of the rotor thrust, is large. The centrifugal force because of the blade mass is also large and this causes a substantial bearing friction. Bearing friction causes hysteresis in the blade movement.

If there would have been a magnet which keeps the blade fixed in the starting position, this magnet would have been the third reason of the oscillation as a magnet works in the same way as bearing friction but then only for the outwards movement of the weight. So to my opinion using of a magnet is useless. The system works only fluently if there is almost no friction moment and if the centrifugal moment is mainly steered by the rotational speed.

kitestrings

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 01:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the thorough explanation Adriaan.  And, I'm glad to have found someone else familiar with them.  I since have found a very robust library that someone painstakingly organized.  Take a look:
http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/Dunlite.htm

According to the manual, there were six magnets and the function was to simply to insure that the rotor was up to full rotational speed before feathering would begin.

Unfortunately, many of the machines that we worked on looked like the one here by the time we got to them http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/2kw/before1.jpg

They were heavy, some 600lbs IIRC, and often they were neglected for long periods of time.  This lead to some catastrophic failures.  Still given when they were designed, it was a pretty good effort.  I have a friend who has built wooden blades for several he restored.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 03:59:09 AM »
I have worked at the UT-Eindhoven form 1975 up to 1990. I think that we got the Dunlite at about 1980 so more than 40 years ago so I can't be very sure about what I remember from this wind turbine. But I think that the rotor diameter was about 4 m and the generator was driven by an accelerating gear box with a gear ratio 1 : 5. The blades were made out of steel sheet which was folded into an aerodynamic airfoil. It had a 3-legs lattice tower with 60° angle iron for the legs. Philips bought Dunlite together with many other Australian companies and didn't continue production. On the photo in your link you can see that the arm on which the centrifugal weight is mounted is in parallel to the rotor axis which means that the angle gamma which I use in KD 437 is zero. To my opinion this is a design error.

The blade movement starts when the moment of the three centrifugal weights becomes larger than the moment of the central compression spring. So if you want the movement to start at a certain high rotational speed, you need a rather high pre-tension in the spring. Using magnets to increase this rotational speed is a bad choice because once the magnets come loose the magnetic force decreases rapidly and this makes that the blade movement will make a big jump. The force of a spring increases if it is compressed more and this is just what is needed to make that a slightly higher rotational speed is required for a slightly larger blade angle.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:45:00 AM by Adriaan Kragten »