Author Topic: ram pump and pelton wheel  (Read 1535 times)

beau

ram pump and pelton wheel
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
I have a site that has a low head(1.5meters) good flow etc but floods.
I have been considering a 100mm ram pump coupled to a pelton wheel for 24volt dc
any comments.
beau (Australia)

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
Re: ram pump and pelton wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »
That low of head will not produce pressure for a pelton wheel.  If you have enough flow you could turn a poncelet undershot wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncelet_wheel

Even a reaction turbine requires several meters of head to work

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Harold in CR

Re: ram pump and pelton wheel
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »

One of my many projects I have going, involves using 2 motorcycle wheels that have PVC pipe halves bolted all the way around, like paddle wheels, and they will power an antique piston water pump. Both wheels will turn a single shaft that will be chain or cog belt drive to the piston shallow well pump.

From experience, i KNOW a 1/4-1/3 HP electric motor will pump water over 120' elevation which I will use to help keep my reservoir pond have enough water for sporatic 250W generation, depending on the rains for 9 month rainy season in my area.

The wheels and pump will be mounted on 2 pontoons from an old gold suction dredge, and tied off to trees, so water rise from heavy rains will still allow the wheels to turn while not washing the whole device downstream.

If this system interests you, I can post a few photos of the wheels and the pump in a disassembled stage, for references for you.

My steady supply of 20-40 gal/minute won't generate electricity, but 24 hours of pumping water 120' uphill will have some effect on how much I can drain down 170' to my generator turbine for a 24V semi off grid system, as I continue to add more generation. Lack of a metal lathe has been my holdup, but, I have a lathe almost built, so, hopefully I can make serious progress now.

Damn electric just went off again while typing this reply.  >:(  Keep us posted and good luck.