Author Topic: F&P blade hubs  (Read 5108 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
F&P blade hubs
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »
Is anyone making blade hubs for the F&P motors? I am thinking of a bracketed tower off one end of the shop where I get pretty decent wind and picked up an F&P motor and wind turbine main frame. Just need to add a hub, blades, and a tail.

THat leads to the second question... blade length for my high wind location. Charts say average wind speed here is 18mph, lower down and in the turbulence near the roof I am going to say maybe 16 average year round with many days of 20-30mph being common and top winds of 95mph... I had a wind speed indicator up in that location and that was about my average the last year before it self destructed from high winds...

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: F&P blade hubs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
Given your winds, maybe a heavy chain (generally blown to the horizontal) attached to a wave generator might be safer!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:04:17 AM »
The F&P is probably a good choice for high wind areas.....if you make indestructible blades. It is current limited, and so can run even short circuit all day without heating the coils up too much, the reactance will stop any cooking. The down side is the lack of braking... so provided the blades are solid... it can stand any wind without the alternator failing.

Anyway, you will want to rewire the thing probably and this site is the best for that unit, including parts of every kind, and many years of experience.

Capacitors will improve your output significantly (double?).

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=2&PN=1

and if you go completely feral then this
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1112&PN=1

........oztules
Flinders Island Australia

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »
I am fine with single stator and maybe 300 watts. This is backup for the solar panels in winter when I have the most wind. I picked up the bottom item on this page when he posted a bunch here cheap.

http://www.randysworkshop.net/products.html

I have the Yaesu thrust bearing it is designed to use, the mount, the stator and magnet assembly. Tail I can build so it takes me to needing a way to mount blades and a hub.

Smithson

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
     I was thinking on the old randy workshop he recommended using a 7/8th pulley and attaching the blades to that. U might measure the ID of the splined shaft first to see if an id 7/8 pulley would still fit.   You can find those pulleys at old agriculture bone yards. 7/8 is a pretty common size. Did you get the splined shaft with the f and p parts?  arch

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:47 AM »
Yup came with everything but the Yaesu bearing, tail boom and tail, and the blade hub/blades. I emailed Randy and he suggested a pulley and that got me thinking that one of these should do the trick http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulley-Hubs/0-875-KEYED-H-BUSHING-1-2913-87.axd have a round piece of 1/4 inch steel cut to fit whatever blades I decide to go with.

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:18:57 AM »
near bottom of page...
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/fp2f.asp

.............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
Welding I would have to take to the machine shop, rather avoid that cost... I don't trust my welding skills in a critical area like that.

kitestrings

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »
No disrespect to OP, but there is definitely more resource for F&P designs on the Back Shed.  Good luck with it.  ~ks

Smithson

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
      MARY. YOU COULD BOLT ONE  THOSE WELDABLE HUBS TO A D.SC. OF STEEL.  1/4 inch bolts would hold.  Those hubs drill like going through hot butter.  I feel for you on the welding. They put a medical implant in my shoulder and now. I'm to stand two foot back from the current.  Makes and unsightly weld.  On the x hubs you have 2/12 inches o play with.  I'd like to do one of those f and p machines myself but still playing with Hugh's 8 footer.  Wherever you buy the blades they should supply a hub.  I asked about the shaft because the last person on this site did' get the shaft with his order.    Best of luck. arch. looks like you did good.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:55:49 PM »
Sure and parts sold only in Australia... and many who come to this board are USA based and might have had some ideas that didn't involve trying to ship from over seas and spending $50 on a $30 part just to ship it!

No disrespect to OP, but there is definitely more resource for F&P designs on the Back Shed.  Good luck with it.  ~ks

kitestrings

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Mmm, good point.

I just realized there may have been two ways to interpret "OP" in my earlier post.  What I'd meant was "Otherpower", this forum...

Reading it a second time I can see where one might have interpreted "OP" as "original post", or "original poster".  That is not what I intended.  Just to clarify, I was suggesting there might be useful information on another forum.  Positive intentions; poor execution.

mroy0404

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »
Is anyone making blade hubs for the F&P motors? I am thinking of a bracketed tower off one end of the shop where I get pretty decent wind and picked up an F&P motor and wind turbine main frame. Just need to add a hub, blades, and a tail.

THat leads to the second question... blade length for my high wind location. Charts say average wind speed here is 18mph, lower down and in the turbulence near the roof I am going to say maybe 16 average year round with many days of 20-30mph being common and top winds of 95mph... I had a wind speed indicator up in that location and that was about my average the last year before it self destructed from high winds...

I could possibly machine up a hub and nose cone for you. Here are a few photos of a hub I made for Raptor blades.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
Nice but to expensive! I haven't decided on blades yet. If I am going to carve a set or find some online to order...