Author Topic: Ouch :(  (Read 2456 times)

Valalvax

Ouch :(
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
From /r/electricians on Reddit

https://imgur.com/a/RnkqC

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Ouch :(
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »
So...  watch out for any craigslist ad for "solar panels, slightly warped and scratched..."
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Valalvax

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
The guy who posted it said it was an older picture... I think mid-2015

I want to say it was from the Netherlands

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »
Gosh those mounting pads look like they are glued down.

And some look they never adhered properly?
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
Yeah, what kind of mounting is that? Flat roof mounts here require enough concrete weights to hold the panels down in a 100mph wind...

george65

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:58 AM »

Looks to me like even just 2 Dynabolts into the concrete through the pads would have gone a long way in holding this down.

I'm always getting told I over do things and go overboard but it's the prospect of having to clean up a shipfight like this and more over, the embarrassment that makes a bit of extra time and effort all the more worth while from my POV. 

I Did some home rewiring some years ago with the remote guidance of an electrician friend.  A couple of weeks later when a fuse blew on that circuit with next to no load I freaked and got him over to look at my handy work.  He was cussing and complaining about it. I asked what I had done wrong?
He said no one goes to all that trouble you have done and over does it like that! Everything is triple what it needs to be.
I said so what you are saying is that there is no chance my house is going to burn down?  Personally, I'm fine with that! Time and money well spent in my book.
Turned out the fuse was just a couple of decades old and the wire will corrode and blow on it's own pretty much. Replacement has been there years and has been fine.

I'm not pedantic, quite dodgy over all but there are some things you just DON'T cut corners on or not make sure it's done as best it can be done, even if that is overkill.

One thing I see in the pic, it looks like every single panel, even if twisted, is still attached to the framework.
Pitty they didn't attach the framing to the building as well as they attached the panels.   ::)