Author Topic: 2 stroke generator wind turbine  (Read 3504 times)

super64

2 stroke generator wind turbine
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
So finaly i got the parts and i will start building my first wind turbine .

I will start by testing variable input speed and output voltage to program the ardunio for active pitch or active Yaw and test the soft starter and build a mock up tranny .

the small circuit located at the alt. cover converts the AC to 12 volt dc which can run the ardunio and other circuits.
assumption is the mother all failure .

To Alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of people know that.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 2 stroke generator wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:58:45 PM »
Do tell more, particularly about the plans for a gearbox.  One isn't always necessary, but in your case, you are clearly coming up with something novel.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

super64

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:02:57 AM »
my plan is to start small then build a 5kw version.

this motor is rated at 1kw and i  added a pully for the mean time i will make a pully-belt transmission system to bench test everything .

after the motor is ready with the transmission unit which will be a 90 degree so somehow i get away without using a slip ring .

am also planning to make an active pitch system using a truck slave clutrch cylinder i have an extra few .if it failed for any reasone i will mount the motor than normal way inline with the hub and make an active yaw system using a PICAXE or arduino  which will be connected to a weather station .

so basicly am tring to make a grid tie wind turbine without an inverter  .
if it failed i will just connect it to the water heater .

and start over  ;D

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of people know that.

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
S64,

This is an ambitious project.  A few thoughts:

You may have seen but, if not, you might want to look at what midwoud1 & mbouwer have been up to with variable pitch hub design.  Some pretty good stuff here.

The benefit of using an inverter for grid-tie is two-fold IMO, it buys you regulation insuring your system will mesh with the grid system, and anti-islanding.  There is an IEEE standard (1547 IIRC) that grid-ties must meet, in the US anyway, that ensures isolation from the grid when source power goes down.  A static inverter makes this relatively easy.  Meeting it by other means might be a trick.

You might also want to look at Aurora inverters, and google this board for related articles from Rob Beckers.  He's a very knowledgeable member here with using them coupled to grid-tied wind.  Might be something of use there.

Good luck.  ~ks

super64

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 02:26:13 AM »
hello KS,

your right i will not re-invent the wheel iam looking through this forum for varible pitch design but i iwant to try to use air accurtaters rather than electric to increase the reliabilty of the system .

just trying diffrent setups

running a fixed speed wind turbine would creat unwanted forces between the turbine and the motor .

the only thing constant in this project will be the motor and the tranny .

the motor was / is a steal deal i get the generator new for 90 usd and i got around 60 worth of engine parts .

compared to an normal induction motor of the same power which i am also testing(far right in the picture) it have thicker wires , bigger bearing , bigger fan and more cooling also it doesnt need the grid to start produicng power.

this may endup as varibile speed with the controller in place .the next few weeks will shape the whole thing

thanks for the advice .

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:02:13 AM »
super 64.
Pse don't start with building a windturbine with air actuators ,that is a whole lot more complex than
electrical .
The best start with a Piggott or a Otherpower design ,they have the best recipe books .
And succes is garanteed.

Rgds ,  Fbm.  midwoud1

super64

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »
thanks for your input .it's highly appreciated

you are right am way over my head in this build .

and still tring to figure things around. testing diffrent methods .

i have a couple of boosters laying around which iam tring to use them for a while .
they are very heavey duty and will last on a truck for 200k miles +.
and they are very common of the shelf i think for 40 usd per piece.

they can provide some seriuos power my idea is that for a certian air prussere the blades will hold in a certian degree if air pressure is lost wind blades will go to the zero postion .

one thing i cant figure out how does the rotor in the 2 stroke gen. keep energized ?!

an normal induction motor needs the grid to produce power this sort of motor it doesnt need the grid .

its vary similiar to a normal induction motor it only have an extra 2 dioides and a resistanice .

my goals for the turbine.

1- less maintiance. and no user needed even if the whole turbine failed, turbine will remain full flattered until repair.

2-of the shelf that dont cost a fourtune with long rated life.
3-modular design that can be scaled for my next build and for maintance .
so if a part is no longer sold in the market can be replaced .

4-can work on or off grid .
feed in is actully useless for me as we are a big family and use lots of power 3 water heaters and more than 7 AC units so what ever i produce will never leave the house x)

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
One additional challenge with air in this case, is that you need to get it to a rotating piece of the turbine, the rotor.  With electrical actuators/motor drives the power for these devices can be transmitted through slip-rings to get above the yaw point.  With air, this becomes more difficult, and an on-board compressor would seem overly complicated. 

Air has other drawbacks, not the least of which is dealing with moisture in colder climates.  I guess I wouldn't allow the availability of hardware to influence your design.

Regarding point #4, I think you may be wise to choose here.  Grid-tied is a very different animal than an off-grid application.  Consider also - with grid-tie - that a day when the wind is howling and the family's gone for the day, you will have reverse flow to the grid, unless you design to prevent this event.  BTW- many utilities with AMI will see this happening.  It seems way simpler to me to experiment off-grid, or with loads isolated from the grid in your early attempts.

~ks

super64

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:57 AM »
thank you , you just saved me from some serouis useless work .

i will drop the air .moisture need some serouis work  .

any ideas on the electric motor for pitch control ?

in anther thread i saw they are using wiper motor if its ok i have also some laying around.

for grid its not my main concern , the blue motor(induction type) on the right is rated 500 watt and the genertor motor can work off grid .

the genreator motor can be connected to a water heater,

and for the inuction motor  in any given time during the day we are using more than 500 watt and its just for testing purpose so i build a 5kw or a 10 kw machine depending on the site survey iam doing using my weather station .

for the tranny where i can get the gears from?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
Pitch control takes trial-and-error.  On the bench and on the tower.  The number of times you will raise and lower the tower to adjust something demands a tower that's easy to raise and lower safely. 
I have followed many members who have developed their own pitch control mechanisms (like Midwoud1 here) or fixed them on the turbines they have.  While I've always been impressed by the work they do, it's never inspired me to go and make one of my own.  Partly, I am hampered by the lack of a real metal shop to build one the way I want, and partly, now that I already have a turbine with fixed-pitch blades that works perfectly well... I'm not likely to change it now.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »
A high speed linear actuator would be good for blade pitch control. Hard to find though. Most linear actuators are fairly slow... did a quick search, guess they are easier to find than I though because many are using them for trick automotive use and for TV flat panel lifts. This one is 12 volts, 6" stroke, 198 pounds of force and 5mm/second travel https://www.amazon.com/stroke-198LBS-linear-actuator-electric/dp/B01FBNL8QA/ref=sr_1_9?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1488931783&sr=1-9&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A4610327011
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:12:47 PM by Mary B »

super64

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
Pitch control takes trial-and-error.  On the bench and on the tower.  The number of times you will raise and lower the tower to adjust something demands a tower that's easy to raise and lower safely. 
I have followed many members who have developed their own pitch control mechanisms (like Midwoud1 here) or fixed them on the turbines they have.  While I've always been impressed by the work they do, it's never inspired me to go and make one of my own.  Partly, I am hampered by the lack of a real metal shop to build one the way I want, and partly, now that I already have a turbine with fixed-pitch blades that works perfectly well... I'm not likely to change it now.

Hello again spar  your right ,but iam trying to experince my limit without re-invinting the wheel and since iam using an induction motor a varaible pitch is a must unless i come out.

Mary B

Thank you , you are a live saver .
i will purchase it