Author Topic: 15' footer upright and...well upright  (Read 7236 times)

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
Re: 15' footer upright and...well upright
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »
KS,

I have been watching your build and set up with the Classics with great interest.

Over the past 8 years, I find with my three HP's, that in a strong wind there is just a brief split second that the Volts just climb so fast before the furling can take place.

Its that kind of moment when you grab your own crotch, and mutter.!

I am just wandering if those Classics are fast enough, or as you say alter the furling.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (9 years).  .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (5 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled Used/SH GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with AC Coupling to the OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries.

SparWeb

• SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
KS,
Me too.  Trying to put the word back into public use. 

Clockman,
We are victims of our success - we make efficient blades with low drag and high-lift profiles.  As a result, they respond to gusts of wind with dramatic accelerations.  Mine too, can ramp up very quickly.  It's worse when mine's stator windings are switched to "high power" mode, and for that reason I fear leaving it unattended in that setting.

Today's wind here is >60 kph and it has been shut down for several hours.
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sparweb/index.php?view=main&headers=0

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

kitestrings

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »
It was actually Bruce that commented on the vocab - but I like it as well, and hope I can remember it in the future.  Which is where some of this started (my memory, or lack there of).

Now what I get is that you would like to operate in "wind" mode but the control isn't too refined and you use a different mode instead.

We do operate in wind mode.  And generally it all works splendidly.  The one glitch, is when you have two of them, as in our case, the point where they transition - one controller says, "I've had enough", and should current limit and then pass the excess, that is where the OCP function causes some heartburn.  With it disabled; all is good.  Your point about a flash card near the unit I was already on... I overlooked this step when I re-powered after the last lightning storm.

Why do you disconnect your temp sensors in the winter?  I've forgotten what the temp swings are for your batteries.

clockmanFRA, yes, wind is far from docile and the rotor can accelerate very fast in the right, or wrong conditions.  The MPPT is actually a bit of a misnomer, at least as we think of it in solar applications.  The wind curve is pre-programmed in the controller(s), so there really is no delay in responding - at a given input voltage the controller loads to a given amperage.  So, in and of itself MPPT doesn't really effect the furling, except for that the rotor operates over a wider range than a direct-tied system I suspect.  Unloading the turbine suddenly; I'd prefer to avoid that situation entirely.

BTW, I haven't seen any repeat of the tail issue on yours, so I assume your fix has solved this problem.

Best, ~ks

SparWeb

• SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Got it.  Sharing between 2 Classics only works when they current limit rather than OCP.

My sealed AGM cells have a 2.35 VPC bulk voltage limit, which on a 24V arrangement is 28.2 volts.  I do exceed that occasionally because there may be some value in overcharging every few months, but routinely overcharging would generate gas which can escape rather than recombine.  The user's manuals for my batteries are pretty explicit on the matter.  The cells are sealed and should remain sealed for the life of the battery.

My cells should float at 2.25V per cell, and temperature compensation is allowed as long as the limit is not exceeded.  Since the slope is 0.005V/C starting at 25 degrees Centigrade, then to make the difference of 0.1V I get:
25degC - (0.1v / 0.005 V/C ) = 5C

Well these cells are obviously designed to be stored indoors, but I have to keep mine outdoors (no room in the house and it would have a very long cable run if I did).
So in the winter months, about November to February, I can expect the temperatures to be below -10C so pretty frequently I would be overcharging the batteries if I allowed temperature compensation to rule the float or absorption voltage.

Next thing to bear in mind is that I have 2 charge controllers, one for wind diversion, one for solar.  I set them differently from each other and at different times of the year.  The diversion controller has no control over the float voltage, so with or without the temp sensor connected, it will divert at 28.2-28.3 volts anyway.  But I may choose to turn the diversion voltage up a few notches for an "equalizing" charge sometimes.  The solar controller needs the temp sensor disconnected in the winter.  I also tweak the settings so that it floats higher, like 27.6v.

There were a few winters when I didn't do that - I had a special diversion load heating water for the horses and I WANTED the diversion to run, so I let the solar float voltage rise and set off the diversion heater.  It was fun to play them against one another.  I should get that hooked up again, but it was ad-hoc, and I went over the extension cord a few too many times with the snowplough.   ::)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:23:44 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »

BTW, I haven't seen any repeat of the tail issue on yours, so I assume your fix has solved this problem.

Best, ~ks

Yes KS, all behaving.

I showed the Fieldlines thread   http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,149176.0.html    to Hugh on his blog.

http://scoraigwind.co.uk/2014/03/havoc-with-4-2-metre-turbines-in-france/#comment-171867

I like his method of a flat bar bolted on to the main frame and then just twisted over so it sits, just missing the top of the tail, I like that idea.

No moving parts, Easy to unbolt for maintenance and a more secure device for keeping the tail tamed.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (9 years).  .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (5 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled Used/SH GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with AC Coupling to the OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries.