Author Topic: Gearing up ?  (Read 5501 times)

gww

Re: Gearing up ?
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:55 AM »
My wife has mentioned that same stupid grin on my face. 
Cheers
gww

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 03:54:47 AM »
If you had to similar DC motors running at near the same rpm connected  in series in the same charge circuit the result is the combined charge potential. 
 The chain drive seems to be working and the female unit is on board so all good . Tape drive motors are good for charging.They hold up fairly well .
  I see your having fun with it and enjoying the added power. Good luck with your elements

OldBawley

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
Hello, some update and a question.

My windgen has now helped me come though three winters, starting winter four now.
Short reminder. Build the Ametek windgen myself with limited means. Two bladed prop, wood.
The gen is mounted on the Starboard bow of my liveaboard sailing boat when at anchor in winter.

I have two 90 watt solar panels and an Aerogen 4 as well for summer spring and autumn.
Living off the grid since 30 years.

I have the Ametek geared up to almost double the revs of the wing by 8mm roller chain. The big diameter of the wing ( 1,72 m ) and the gearing means the gen produces at low wind speeds, exactly what I wanted. More wind and the big whopper is stopped and the Aerogen takes over.
The gen brings max 10 A.

Have used a schottky diode to prevent the gen from using batt power. That IR MBM 7545 diode takes 0,7 Volt. That is a lot in the 15 volt range.
Some people advised me to use an IRF 4905 mosfet in stead.
I have no knowledge of electronics, that mosfet looks very flimsy, would it work to be used as a diode and how exactly do I connect the three legs ?

Tanks in advance.

Mary B

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »

SparWeb

• SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
By "fimsy" do you mean that you have been using "stud-mount" diodes?

You could look for a 1N5833 / 1N5834 in the stud-mount, and not have to worry about anything being too "flimsy", or fuss with extra components.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024