Author Topic: motor conversion2  (Read 2134 times)

Dan_NS_CAN

motor conversion2
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
Been doing a lot of reading and decided to start exploring the guts.

Man that varnish is tuff stuff but have been very carefull.

Wellll,is this what I'm looking ,3 wires together, no lead? Hmm.Scratch head read more.

Still having fun but getting strange looks from family.(is that normal)

Dan
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:23:48 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: motor conversion2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:43:01 AM »
Those 3 wires are the common point for three phase "Y" windings.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 05:43:01 AM by drdongle »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:11:36 AM »
Hi DanNSCAN!

yes, that is your star point in the winding. cut and seperate the 3 wires and solder on a flexible lead wire to each one. be sure to scrape or sand the wire to bare copper and use a little soldering paste on each to ensure a good bond with the solder. tape up each connection good.

you should have 9 leads on the stator, numbered 1-9. use a meter to find the circuit from lead #7 to the end of one of the wires from the star point and label it as lead #10. the circuit from lead #8 to one of the other star point wires will be #11. the circuit form lead #9 to the last star point wire will be #12.

you will now be able to connect the stator for 1 or 2 star, or 1 or 2 delta.

you may also want to try this connection for exceeding the voltage that you would normally get from 1 star. 1 star would normally yield the highest voltage from the winding, but i think this will increase the voltage by approx 25% at any given speed.

i have not tried it yet myself, and think it will cause the genny to hit charge voltage to soon before the prop has sufficient torque so as not to stall. but if someone is considering using the genny for heating elements to heat water, it may allow you to be able to use standard 115volt or 230 volt elements. it is a cheater connection i used years ago to be able to run 460 volt windings from 575 volt 3 phase. i had to call it something, so i called it an "extended" delta connection.

extended delta: output leads:  1, 2, and 3

connect together:  4+7+12,  5+8+10,  6+9+11

your last photos of your stator did not allow me to get a close enough view to see your coil spans. without that, i can not tell you the exact width your mag pole should be. but you could use the same width as 7 stator teeth. it will be close enough.

hope this helps,  have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:11:36 AM by zubbly »

Dan_NS_CAN

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 12:19:29 PM »
Thanks a million Zubbly,  I tried a couple more pics, will post later but its hard to get shots just right. Ijust stripped a rectifier out of an old alt. would this work or should I just break down and buy new. Ive read that these would work but cant find it again ,I dont want to mess this up too much lol

Thanks again    still fun still funny looks!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:19:29 PM by Dan_NS_CAN »