Author Topic: Lenz2 wind tunnel tests are done  (Read 23302 times)

colej

Re: Lenz2 wind tunnel tests are done
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

Ed,

After reading about your wind tunnel test I got the idea of linking the turbines and I came up with this idea of three turbines linked as sort of a planetary gear.

All three would support the center rotor hub linked by chain and sprocket, as each turbine begins to rotate, it would drive the main rotor.

My question to you is.

1. : If this could work do you think it could create more torque to run a more powerful alternator?
  2. : would the "spoiled" air coming off the windward turbine be to turbulent for the leeward ones?

I remember seeing somewhere a Savonius rotor that was over two stories tall (old picture from the 40's or 50's maybe)So how big do you think is practical for a Lenz2?

I live in an area of texas that is catagorized as "wind poor for economic development" and have really taken interest in your design as it seems the only probably design that can take advantage of my area.

Great work!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:55:26 PM by colej »

oneirondreamer

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »
It looks like this thread is not active, however I'm wondering if anyone is aware of, and can share any 3 party testing of this design?    It looks like the wind tunnel study was done improperly (too much blockage for accurate results).

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
Ed might not be active anymore  :-[.

He did answer the blockage question in reply #14. They were aware of the blockage issue even back then.
The only 3rd party would be the wind tunnel people . There were postings about where it was going to be done and which LENZ2 he was going to be using.

Hope a search turns up those!

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

oneirondreamer

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »
In the #14 post Ed gives the size of the wind tunnel, but not the size of his rotor,so the exact blockage can not be determined.   From the previous images, it's clear that his rotor is quite large, probably at least 50% to 70% of the tunnel swept area.   He notes that a blockage correction factor was applied.   This all take place in 2005, before the dangers of applying blockage correction factors to high solidity turbines is investigated in Ian Ross's 20010 report.   This means that the data collected is effectively meaningless I think?   I'm not saying the turbine is good, or bad, just that we don't know anything conclusively from this report and as far as I've been able to find, no report that includes the blockage calculation was ever produced.   I'd be happy if someone could point one out.   Also for the Ugrinsky turbine, another interesting design that people make big claims for, and for which I'd love to see some research on.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
While the hard truth about the data is probably lost to the wind.
Ed's real world data may be of interest to you.
he was a prolific poster, even ConEd used his Lenz2 profile , which at one time has a mill at Lay Leno's home.

Getting hard data now would mean someone would need to build one of Ed's mills and do the test all over again.
Burrow into Ed's years' worth of posts and see if any of it could help.

Since Ed's posts were real life stuff I do not believe it to be meaningless.
About the "Ugrinsky turbine" I'm still digesting the data. I'll let you know my thoughts on this one later. Work is paramount right now.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
Quote from: Bruce S
Since Ed's posts were real life stuff I do not believe it to be meaningless.
About the "Ugrinsky turbine" I'm still digesting the data. I'll let you know my thoughts on this one later. Work is paramount right now.

Ya same for me, working full time. Things have worked out well, Bruce I appreciate your work on the Forum And all the mods :)

JW