Author Topic: E-Car update.  (Read 2512 times)

Jerry

E-Car update.
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:30:09 PM »
I finally got around to installing the amp meter.

I just took out a jumper between a couple batteries and mounted the shunt there.

This is an analog 500 amp meter. So far I've only observed it going home on my 7.5 mile trip from work to home.

Going through the gears and reving the motor up to shift speed I saw 350 amps. Out on the open hiway at 55 mph It was a steady 225 amps. Oddly enough I think these batteries have a 225 amp hr. rateing?

Not sure were the amp #s should be but the truck has been working quite well inspite of the cold weather (30%s).

I know it will do better when I change the rear ene and trany fluids to somethingmore suited to cold weather. I think wind and rain requiers more power too?

I also use my 120/ 1000 watt heater to a littel. But this 10 amp load seems to have a very littel effect on battery range.

More reports as I spend more time with the new amp meter. Just wish I had of installed it in April.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 08:30:09 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: E-Car update.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:29:50 PM »
Jerry,

That comes to about 35 hp which is about right for pushing a shoebox down the road at 55mph.  If it was a VW Rabbit or a Taurus or something it'd probably be closer to 25 hp.  I think you'll find that rolling resistance is the primary energy expense up to about 30 mph and then wind resistance will take over (sharply) after that.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 04:29:50 PM by RP »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »
whats the cost of your batts ?--and the expected batt life?

or should i just ask how much was the total cost to convert the truck?

and did you do most of the work yourself or hired out to a shop?

just curious as to the amount of work and cost........

its been hangin around close to zero up here in alaska[past month]--wounder how that would effect a elect.car.....plus your electric bill--has it gone up by much?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:00:06 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:41:36 PM »
Thanks RP and hi Hiker.

My son did the machining on his lathe.Bell housing adaptor and transmision the motor adaptor.

Motor from e-bay, speed control from e-bay. A littel over $1000 baught all 20 new batteries.

I think the lfe span of e-car batteries is simular to RE batteries 5, 10, 15 years maybe depending on care and feeding.

We estamated cost of charging from grid for daily use about $20 per month. Less if I charge from my RE systems.

If you could keep the batteries warm and the fluids runny I think this vehickle would work in Alaska?

My son and I did all the work. From the ground up. If I had a shop do it it would be like hiering someone to screw in lightbulbs for me.

I ain't at the old folks home yet LOL. Just kidn I do ask for help quite abit. I cash in on those paybacks from time to time.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:41:36 PM by Jerry »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 09:29:06 AM »
Jerry , i've been reading your stuff ..

Your E-Car is astounding/amazing and down right really COOL!!

I'm glad to see that you've got your Amp meter installed .

What is the voltage on the batteries when you get home from work ?? Also how have you got them hooked up? series ? parallel ? or a combination?

one last question?

Are these speakers  ?? if so that is a FANTASTIC IDEA !!

i'm going to search for two 12" dia speakers to hold my stator in place , then all i will need is ... well we'll see ..because ultimatly i would love to fly my gen. but untill now i was having a hard time finding a way to hold the stator in place..

This little gen. in your pics should be on the cover of popular mechanics , really !!

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/jerrys.bmp

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 09:29:06 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 01:22:57 PM »
Hi Willib.

There are 20 six volt batteries on board. The are wired sires for 120 volt.

First voltage reading in the morning befor I disconect the pulse charger desulphater is between 155v to 158v.

At ariving at my store with every thing shut off after a minute voltage is around 125v.

A littel less when comming home. Its a littel up hill that way. Some times under heavy load I see voltage droping to around 100v for short bursts.

About the speakers. Yes that is two 5 1/4" speaker baskets, magnets removed. I havn't got around to finishing this littel project yet but it will be a very small dual rotor. I've use the box fan blade on a small motor conversion. That littel blade spins up real fast.

I did a diary so time back that used two 12" speaker baskets. It is a 10" dual rotor genny with Lowes ceramics.

Still working on the NEO version. Being in the audio industry scince the 60s and as my curent ocupation I've collected so many speaker I've lost count (100s).

The large (8") magnet backing plates make nice rotors.

Heres a couple pix of speaker to wind genny transition.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:22:57 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
Whoops first 2 didn't load. Try again?

Maybe loaded?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:28:06 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 01:29:15 PM »
OK I give up?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:29:15 PM by Jerry »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »
Yeah i started with HomeDepo magnets myself.

What size rotors are inside that 5 1/4' speaker basket gen.?

This is a possible gen to use in there..

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/9_coil_12_magnet_for_jerry.bmp

i had this one on file for 1/2 " dia neos x 1/2 inch long.. thats all i use is round magnets ,and round coils ..This site sells , or used to sell , not sure , the magnets i used ..I am wondering whether or not you have the room in there for a rotor with 1/2" x 1/2 " dia. magnets ?? You could allways use spacers in there.

anyway round coils are simple to make..

Oh , the hole in the coils is around 1/2 " , but that isnt as important as the outer dia. ..I can give you some data on the performance of using (1 inch x .480 width coils ) -20 ga. wire if you like ? i still have my older one set up.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 04:04:05 PM by willib »

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 09:58:01 PM »
Hi Willib.

Well no rotors in there yet. Thats one of the parts thats not done. No magnet rotor, no coils.

I'm thinking 4" diameter also. Thats realy awsome. A dual rotor at 4" with the 12 magnet 9 coil arangement.

I have some 1"X1/2"X1/8" NEOs. I havn't even layed them out to see how many will fit.

It may only have room for 8. If so I'll do the 8 X 6 arangement (Hugh P).

If I can only get 6 in there I"ll make 6 pole single phase. I think 8 will go though?

Yes I would love to see the preformance #s on the littel genny. That would be great.

I thought I was building the smallest dual rotor but you got there first.

The rotors are made from speaker magnet back plates. There easy to tap for shaft set screws and there made of very good flux material and there free.

This one uses a 1/2" shaft. Then I machined it down the match the small cheap box fan blade.

I'm eagerly awaiting your data.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 09:58:01 PM by Jerry »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 12:19:50 AM »
How many have ya got ? because if ya double them up , or tripple them up, it really increases the flux.as someone said before your magnets are the bread and butter of your generator

i can give you voltage and current readings for various RPM tomorrow if thats ok.?

i never built one that small so you are still the first , my old setup is described somwhere in one of my first posts , i have 18 coils 24 magnets , and just a single rotor .

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/jerry_2.bmp

great news !! Your neos will fit !!

my cad program says that the outer dia. of your neos placed as in the pic, will be 4.448 inches !! i cant beleve i'm still up !!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 12:19:50 AM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:14:47 PM »
jerry i havnt forgot about the data , by the time you get up tomorrow i should have it posted.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 10:14:47 PM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 07:15:00 AM »
Jerry this is  the data  it is for just one coil

the data is in AC peak volts , and also Amps because of the 1 Ohm load

Divide peak value by sqrt(2) to get RMS value.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/jerry_data.jpg

also the data is for a single rotor  , a dual rotor ,with same magnets, will double the values.

say for example at 2v peak = 1.414V RMS   if you multiply The rms value by 3 coils per phase = 4.242V

and multiply 4.24 times sqrt(3) = (7.34V Rms at 625 rpm)

if you multiply the phase current (1.414 A)by the rms Volts (7.34) the little gen should produce about 10.4 Watts at 625 rpm , roughly..

so if used in this configuration your dual rotor will make a nice NiMH battery charger..

Using your rectangular magnets  you would have to change the coil shape of course , but i think everything should fit in your speaker basket generator..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:15:00 AM by willib »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 08:18:08 AM »
How many turns in the coil?

G-
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:18:08 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

willib

• SuperHero Member