Logged in users > User Diaries

tower building

(1/4) > >>

johnnyo:
 I'm going to build a 60' tower with out guy wires. I think it can be done. I've already bought most all the materials I need, 2-20'x5",1-24'x4",1-24'x3" wellcasing pipe,oh and 12-24'pieces of 3/4" sucker rod,for bracing. I plan on a cement base 4'x4' or 5'x5' 4 feet deep. A hinge at the top of one of the 5" pipes. The second 5" pipe  along side the first,and hinged to the first  then 4"pipe then 3" pipe, with a stub of 1 1/2" pipe to mount the 10' windgenerator on. I've built a jib pole like this and used it to lift 500# trusses on my pole barn. using the sucker rod for bridge bracing, they will not even flex.  only one problem , the 5"x20' pipe fastened in the concrete will only have two braces permantly fastened [welded] and the other two will have to be bolted after tower is raised.  has any one tried this? I'll let every one know it works.

12AX7:
Hello Johnnyo
I've never made a tower,   however..  better than 30 years ago I "erected" a 40ft. free standing Rohn (heavy duty)  I used a 4x4x4ft cement base.
Over the years..   I put up many a different antennas..  (sometimes in weather that made my wife think I was crazy)  
With some of the bigger "arrays"..  there were times during high winds.. where I stood with my feet on the base..  and looked up the tower leg and watched it sway. Many a time I could feel the "vibration"  with my feet.  

x4x4 chunk of concrete...   and I had thoughts going through my head..  shoulda dug a bigger hole.
ft?   whats planned to sit on the top?

I think ya should dig a bigger hole.  

Countryboy:
Hi Johnny.
It will work, for a while.  That stub of 1.5 inch pipe at the top is gonna be WEAK though.
A gust of wind will put a lot more stress on a pole, than a steady pressure, such as lifting a truss.
I think you will find the welds on the sucker rod start cracking and breaking, if that 1 1/2 in stub doesn't bend first.  The next thing you know, a gust of wind will come along, and the weakest point on your tower will crumple like tinfoil.
A 4X4X4 base is 2.4 cubic yards of concrete.  5X5X4 is 3.7 yards of concrete.  At $60 a cu yard, you're going to have a few bucks in a base.
Guy wires are probably going to be your cheapest component in building a tower.  Why try to save a few bucks at the risk of losing a lot of money?
Don't get me wrong.  You CAN build a strong free standing durable tower - but you can build a tower just as durable and strong, for a fraction of the price, if you use guy wires.
My advice would be to stick with what we know works.  The Dans already did up a section on towers.  http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_towers.html
If you want to experiment with your own free standing tower, I'd recommend you start out small.  Build a 20 or 30 footer.  Find your weak points and reinforce them.  Then build a taller tower - maybe a 40 footer.  Go from there.  Don't jump right in building a 60 foot tower.  The higher it is, the more the forces will be magnified.

hiker:
try a wood powerline pole[telephonepole]..

are neighbor years ago used one for his huge shortwave ant.

bury it good and deep in concrete...

johnnyo:
 I'm the type of guy that, you tell me it [my idea] wont work i'll make it work. I just dont want to contend with the guy wires. comments like 5'x5' of concrete and forsight about the 1 1/2" stub for setting the windgenerator on top of, that it might be weak, thease commets are wanted and appreciated. I'm building a Hugh Piggot design 10' machine which will be my first, but I dont think this machine will give me enough power. I havent bought the inverter or batteries yet. I plan on 24V system using large fork truck batteries and 3000w trace inverter. pure sine,or mod. sign, dont know yet. I'll probably build a 17' machine for the extra power and keep the 10' one for a back up.  I'll be living off the grid. power lines are not any where close,dont need a power bill anyway i'll be retired and have plenty of time to piddle with things and build prodjects that I never had time for. getting back to the tower, welds wont break if welded right. one consern of mine is that the tower won't flex any at all. also getting off the subject, in the area this will be erected,lighting is a problem. on top of a hill in south centrel mo. oh just wanted you to know the reason for 60' tower is to get above the tree tops. all commets appreciated johnnyo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version