Logged in users > User Diaries

JW's Smoker -part 3

(1/11) > >>

JW:
Hi all,
Welcome to the latest installment of "JW's Smoker" In this episode were smoking Salmon again.

As you can see Ive been ignoring the back porch for a while now.

ive made a modification to the smoker. This hole ive cut tends to make the unit run a little warmer. Im still using the tinfoil around where the cover closes since I feel this keep's the air out.
Here's some of the local wildlife on my back porch

This cat of mine is almost 20 years old. He's my outdoor cat, Tom.

Im real proud of my peppers. These are called soronto(sp?) peppers. I use them instead of jalapino's, in my jalapino'n chedder quich. I grew these three plants fom some seeds I saved, when I made the quich last Easter. Quich is an egg pie, like a really thick omellete, with pie crust.

Ok, Heres the salmon. I got it at the local grocery store. Decent price 14 bucks I think. I skinned the fillets with my fillet knife last night and removed the blood line as best I could. I think they came out ok. Heres the mariniade I used, its very sweet to the taste.

I marinated the cut-in-half fillet over night in the fridge.
Firing up the smoker!!!

I like to sterilize my smoker before putting stuff on. So I let the charcoal burn for awhile with the lid closed. Then I add the wood.

The wood chips in the upper pan are not burned. Instead I fill this pan about half way with water and let the wood chips steam.

Some more pictures

The smoker has been running for awhile and its up to cooking temp.

Ok, its time to put the salmon on and let it smoke. Im figuring on a 3 to 5 hour smoke time.

I will post just before I take salmon off of the smoker.
JW

elvin1949:
Damn JW your making me hungery.

Think i will hit the beaver pond in the morning.

Bass is good Smoked to.

later

Elvin

JW:
Allright,
 I smoked the salmon for a total of 4 hours. This is how it looked as it came out.

Always make sure that you use a good quality spatula to remove the fish. Notice how I placed the fish on the grill so that I could easily scrap and remove it .

Its safe in the tin foil. Since I smoked this for over 3 hours its pretty firm.

Flaky and tasty, just like its supposed to be :)

Im very happy how this batch came out. Good flavor and texture. My favorite way to eat this is on an onion bagel with whipped cream cheese.
I have been catching some good size Bonefish out in the bay, night fishing,(believe it or not) around 24 inchs. That stuff comes out great aswell, but I do not use the water pan to cook it, and no marinade, its done in like 2 hours. Makes great smoked fish dip.
JW

JW:
Hi Elvin,
 Your post went thru before I finished typing mine. Didnt see it before I finished my last.
Ya, I heard from several people, that Bass and some other fresh water fish, taste really good when smoked. Pull one out of the beaver pond for me.
I' (flaling arms like Tom Hanks, in that movie Cast Away movie) I'   have made fire.
:) :) :)
JW

JW:
WILSON!!!!!!!!!
 Just kidding, LOL.(you have to have seen the movie, Cast Away[ with Tom Hanks], to get it...) Its one of those have too have been there moments. :)
I like the "Surviver(sp?) Man", better than "Man verse Wild" on the discovery channel. And what the hell is going on with Mike Row, He seems to have taken over the place. :)
JW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version