Author Topic: New replacement Prosine 2.0 Inverter Came Today  (Read 2680 times)

RCpilot

New replacement Prosine 2.0 Inverter Came Today
« on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Manufacture date was Aug 07. The unit has no labels, booby traps etc. to keep someone from opening it up, so I did. Man, I am really glad I did because as you can see from the pictures, it was another failure waiting to happen. In the pictures you can see two wires that escaped from their bundle and were pinched flat from the cover. The insulation wasn't cut so I simply bundled them together better and did what the assembler should have done. Had this remained, I am convinced that one day the wires would have shorted and another failure would happen. With my luck, the failure would occur the day after the warranty ran out! I checked the unit out closely and that was the only visible problem I found. The only good way to add more heatsink to it would be to attach a bigger heatsink to the existing one and cut a hole in the cover to allow it to protrude through. If it makes it through it's two year warranty, I may do just that. Going to mount it up this evening after work. I work from home so that's how I was able to do all this during working hours.

Kelly

Here is an overall shot of the unit.

Here you can see the crushed wires better.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:33:17 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: New replacement Prosine 2.0 Inverter Came Toda
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »
Many years ago, I adjusted the valves on a '73 Chevy truck while the engine was running. After finishing, I turned the engine off (to stop the oil splatter) and put the valve covers back on, then the truck wouldn't start.

Re-tracing my steps, the Chevy small-block V-8 distributor and coil is at the back of the engine, and after about 30 beer-fuelled minutes, I realized one of the metal valve covers had grounded out and shorted one of the coil wires, eliminating all spark.

Later, I was going to lunch with a friend when the dashboard of a '65 Chevy truck caught on fire from a shorted wire.

Pay attention to every small detail and exercise caution. I'm lucky to be alive, learn from my mistakes. Thank you for posting!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:33:16 PM by spinningmagnets »

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:08:23 AM »
Hi,

If this were my inverter I would forward these picts to the manufacturer.

Just because the insulation wasn't cut through doesn't mean the internal wires are intact, or some of the smaller wires haven't been cut. I used to run my chest freezer off an extension cord, about 75 feet. We had an ice strom and a limb struck the wire. It, the cord, looked good but an internal wire was broken. 2 months later I discovered a rotting mess.

I would cut those two wires, strip them, solder them and shrink tube them. Of course this might void the warranty, but that goes back to sending the maker a photo of what you have found. Since there were no seals or straps to warn you that opening the case would void the warranty they cannot do so now.

If I were the maker of this inverter I would WANT to see this. Without quality control reputations suffer, and market share is lost. Neither of those things are less  important than the bottom line.

Good luck with your new equipment.

RS

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:08:23 AM by RogerAS »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:48:45 AM »
Send the manufacturer a link to this thread too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:48:45 AM by wooferhound »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »
Might give them a reason to move the manufacturing back to Canada, like it was when their products were much more reliable.

G-
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:20:20 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
I would document if the specific language their warranty states allows a user to open the unit as in get it in writing you can open the unit - admission one has already done so may be instant warranty invalidation. IBM 1-800 service sure determined that for me me once upon a time far, far ago...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:22:26 AM by DanG »

RCpilot

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
Guys, I really appreciate all the great comments, I would love to send the pictures to the company but taking the chance of voiding my warranty is more important to me than letting them know. I used to work in a manufacturing environment and realize the importance of Quality Control, etc. As for cutting the wires, soldering, and shrink tubing them I would do that if it was out of warranty but if I ever have to send it back again they would see the repair and probably void my warranty as well. My entire project is on a shoestring budget and I can't afford to buy one of these units if they did void my warranty and would probably have to save up again as I did for this one. I looked at the insulation very carefully and am reasonably confident there is no damage to the actual wires. I did use a meter to verify the wires. So far, the unit is running fine. I plan to call them next week with some other questions about configuring the unit and I guess I could ask them if I simply opened the unit to look inside if that would void the warranty. I would then get the guys name, and and like one of you said, to get it in writing or something stating that the warranty wouldn't be voided by opening  the unit. Then send the pictures to them. I'm hesitant right now of doing anything more than just letting it slide. I will keep you posted next week after my call to them about configuring it...

Kelly
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:38:37 PM by RCpilot »