Author Topic: 5/8 hp output numbers  (Read 1383 times)

Devo

5/8 hp output numbers
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:59:04 PM »
Motor has been rerwound as a 6 pole with 6 #29 curved neo's, it has 22 wraps per coil 3 sets of 6 coils.(36 slot motor)

at 300 rpm 2 individual phases of AC are 10.5volts 1 is 10.2(must have missed a wrap or 2?)

each phase rectified droped to 9 volts or there about.This suprised me I thout I would get 10.5 X 1.4=14.7-1.4(diode drop)=13.3. Is the 1.4 increase for 3 phase only?

At any rate I took all 3 rectifiers & put them in parellel(Jerry Rigged) this gave me a voltage of 13.8 at 300 rpm so there is some voltage gain wiring this way as well as the decent amperage gain/resistance loss.

I ran this into a big battery bank sitting at about 14 to 14.3 volts.

1. rpm  .03 amps
  2. rpm   3.4 amps  (48 watts)
  3. rpm   9.6 amps (137watts)

I think a set of 6 foot blades TSR of 7 would match this nicely, the 3 blade set I have with one blade broke is a tsr6, iof I use it as a 2 blade does any one know what the aprox tsr woulod be?

Maybe I should carve 3 from scratch at tsr 7, this conversion shoud do 20 amps easy without burn out( I hope)

Devin

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:59:04 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: 5/8 hp output numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »
Nice work on your motor. "TSR" should not change as it is geometry related. I do suggest you go back and read how two blade props tend to tear things up.

Ron

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:21:20 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Devo

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »
Thanks Ron, I have read a bit on that, I think I may use those for fire wood & start again, they where a little rough anyway.

I have had decent luck with 3 blades, I have an old 1000 litre oil tank , I may try to make a mold using thin wood around it with the shape of blade I want  cut out of it. I would fill it with fiberglass tiger hair & put another piece over it to squeeze out the extra- not sure if it would work but if it did I could get some nice light weight blades with a decent profile..

Spruce is cheap to I guess I could start chipping:-)....

Devin

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:29:12 PM by Devo »

Warrior

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »
Hi Devo, nice conversion. I would have expected more output from the famous #29 magnets. How long is your stator?

Regarding two bladers, yes they do shake a bit but some manufactures have seemed to tame them down a bit. They certainly aren't that stupid engough to sell a self destructing turbine. My first turbine was a 7 foot 2 blade. It did shake while yawing but it was in a very turbulent zone. I then built a 3 blader and it was literaly silent.

Why not just build an extra blade? You already have 2. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to carve one. Just a thought.

Great Work,

Warrior

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:50:05 PM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Devo

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
The rotor barely fits the mags on , it's only a 5/8 hp motor.I suspect it will do 300 watts but we'll see.The wire is also only 17 gauge.

In the winter here I get 20 to 30 mph winds(sometimes higher) I think 6 foot blades will push it pretty good, I may furl late just to see how many amps I can draw before burn out with the Jerry Rigged configuration.

Those blades where the first ones I made with straight lines, & I can't find the sheet I wrote it down on to get the exact measurements... Also 1 of the 2 left was pretty rough.

I may put it on as 2 for a week while I carve a new set we'll see.

Devin

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:31:01 PM by Devo »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:07:20 AM »
The tsr is mostly determined by the angles and you don't change that with 2 blades.

For every tsr there is an ideal chord width that determines solidity. With one blade missing you may not now have the ideal ( depends on how near it was with 3). You may have starting trouble with a motor conversion with 2 blades but if it does start then it will be happier to try and run above its intended tsr. This will probably be to your advantage with this fairly fast alternator.

2 blades are a bit rough in yaw but in the smaller sizes it's not a big issue, many thousands of 2 bladed 6ft machines have been in service for many years with little trouble. Give it a try. Motor conversions really need faster props than the air gap machines. This does sometimes raise a starting issue as the faster props have less starting torque.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:07:20 AM by Flux »