Logged in users > User Diaries

JW's Smoker -part 4 1/2

(1/3) > >>

JW:
I just couldnt resist posing these pic's.

This is a little better than an hour into it. Im sure that anyone can see where this is going.

I got the sea scallops for about $16, they came from the back were completly frozen, which is good. The 2 kingfich steaks were about $6.25
 I used wood from my dad's farm in Tennesse, its oak.

I cut this up into blocks with a miter saw. I use a charcoal chimney about 3/4 full of briquets, to start the smoker.
 The tin foil around the lid seal, stops air leaks, which can dry out the fish. As always, when i smoke fish, I use the waterpan with some hickory wood chips and half full of water. This has always worked well for me, so I go with it.
 I have been dreaming to get out to elliot key in biscayne bay, and ride around the mountain bikes, with my wife and daughter. The problem is you can only get to the island/key by boat. Tonight I actually ran this past my wife. See said there aynt no way you getting me to cross that bay with all of us and three bikes in the 14ft boat. So I guess thats out for now... Anyhow this is the spot I want to set up the axial rotor wind turbine(temporary deal, no more than 30 days) im still trying to figure out the stator winding on. There is a primitive campsite there, with running cold water for showers and bathrooms. Bear in mind Elliot Key is nearly 8 miles from mainland, and is part of a national park. The island is 7 miles long.
 Anyhow my camera misfired and took this. Good thing, american idol is on for two hours tonight. :) my wife is up watching.

I thought it looked cool so what the hell.
"Captain, Im given ya all shes got, she cant hold together much longer- Scotty"
"Damn it Jim, Im a doctor- Bones"
"If we head towards those asteriods and comets, then jacknife inbetween them at breakneck-speed, we could get a gravitational boost, or something- Zack Branigian"
JW

JW:
update,
 On this batch ive done something a little different. I smoked the kingfish steaks and sea scallops, with the waterpan for nearly 2 hours, then, for the last hour or so, I have removed the waterpan.

When I took this off, it was steaming heavily.
Heres what everything looks like now.

I can get these type of results with the water pan, but I use more wood chunks, because it takes 8 hours to smoke.

The way this is cooking(without the water pan) on just left over hot coals, I think it will be done in about 40 minuites. Thats a total of 4 hours, first half with the water pan, second half without. Only stoking the fire heavy, with the water pan.
JW

JW:
The pictures above are scallops and Kingfish steak.

Below are some recent pictures of some Swordfish steaks and some ribs.

I just got the news my daughter has a 9 pound 8 ounce baby boy Im so proud and am a grandfather now

DamonHD:
Hey!  Good news on the grandson!

Damon

JW:
Thanks Damon :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version