Logged in users > User Diaries

2008 summer progress.

(1/3) > >>

margusten:
Greetings from Estonia.
This story is about making something usable from scrap.
First I made magnet rotors from old microwaves and used car disc brakes.

More than 12 microwawes needed because all magnets are not same size.

Second - I made 3 phase stator from used magnet wire. That's why all windings isn't same size (old lacquer issue). 0.6 mm wire diametre and 400 w every winding. This must give out HIGH voltage. But not, because microwawe magnets are quite weak.

This combination of almost 3 kg. free copper has complete circuit. Definetely not optimal. That's why I left all wire ends outside for future possibilities.

No need to make new mold.

Here it goes.

Next day it looks like this:

One good friend helped me with weldings. I am not so good on it.

Here it is on test stand. Of couse it's working. Only with one rotor I measured 50V maximum speed (900rpm) cordless drill and 80V two rotors connected open circuit. Cordless drill was too weak for measuring shorted circuit current, more than 1A seen.
On last picture You can see new polar mount stand on my basement roof. Temporary satellite dish installed on it for perfect aligning. In future solar panels or solar consentrator will sit on it.

But it was good for watching unusual satellites too. 90E YAMAL is most east satellite we can see. Pitch angle 1 degree, almost parallel to earth surfice. I was able to see Russian channels from Vladivastok - time difference 8 houres. Always first morning news on this channel when I went to bed.
BR,
Margus

tecker:
 A few have used doughnut magnets .It's very cool to get power from used stuff like that . It's hard to get the wire off clean and have the insulation good . I've been able to use polyurethane with some success . You can increase your  power by adding a neo in the hole the same polarity as the doughnut face . An oposite pole is present in the hole that messes with the peak charge times . Those look like between 12 and 19 mm either will do with some super glue and epoxie .

tecker:
I see you can add another magnet rotor as you get more materials that will increase the ouput also .

gotwind2:
Great work margusten.
Cosidering the re-use of scrap materials, maybe you could use computer hard drive Neodymium magnets for your next attempt, as MickS did in Australia, story below.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/10/8/112046/572
Ben.

margusten:
Hi,
I have more than 100 used computer hard discs waiting for disassemling and making next generator. It means more trouble than disassembling 12 microwawe owens.

Read my older diary about single phase machine using wery old computer scasi drive magnets. Definately Neodynamium magnets are much better, I noticed it when I was not able to separate this double rotor machine without tools.

This microwawe maget machine is double rotor machine too. Only pictures here taken from early stadium.

I was able to separate second magnet rotor from machine by two hands. Of course stator thichness was same, same mold used.
I had same idea to make weak microwawe magnets stronger by adding additional neodynamium magnets to ferrite magnet hole.

But I read from this forum that Neodynamium magnet can kill Ferrite magnet soon.

And I was afraid and let holes empty.

Is it true?
I hope to add some more pictures soon.
BR,
Margus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version