Author Topic: First successful test of assembled turbine  (Read 1427 times)

kihon

First successful test of assembled turbine
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Alternator made using 2 6" steel discs, with 12 25.4x9x9.5mm magnets each, 9 coils of 100 turns 22swg.

2 PVC blades 1m diameter.

At home due to near by houses/ walls of trees etc, dont get much wind, and the most Ive managed to get out of the turbine is about 6v. (I dont want to mount it high up for safety reasons). I think at the most we had about 4-5 mph winds.

So I took it to my office parking lot where there tends to be a lot more wind. Not sure what the wind speed was though, since I dont have a portable anemometer.

Testing open voltage, I was getting ~18v. So I connected it to a 20w 12v MR16 bulb. obviously took a stronger wind to get started, but soon had a brightly lit bulb in my hands :)

Cost so far is less than £50 pounds for the whole thing, generating about 20 watts so far. I suspect I can use a larger set of blades to get more power out of it. However my other set of blades is about 2m diameter and I think it might be too big to reach the RPM required to hit 12v (I think I need about 450 rpm to hit 12).

Overall I consider it a successful exercise. Though I need to factor in additional costs like mounting the turbine, and casing to protect it from the elements / weather proof paint etc.

Currently trying to find sources of magnets in Sri Lanka where I hope to build an equivalent turbine to perform some more testing. Will update when I get more progress.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback from all you guys!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:25:01 AM by (unknown) »

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: First successful test of assembled turbine
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
A successful test is a successful test.... they don't all come out that way.

Well done.

........oztules

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:49:16 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia