Author Topic: Constructing gasifier  (Read 3992 times)

(unknown)

Constructing gasifier
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
I was amazed to find out smoke from a fire would power a internal combustion engine.

I am building a small down draft gasifier.  

I am using a old propane bottle for the burner, a small helium bottle for a cyclone filter, muffin and cookie sheets for a cooler, a trash can for a final filter, and a old hair dryer to create the down draft.                            

I am using a small MIG and if there is prize for poor welding I would be a top contender. I need a lot of practice.  Comments welcome.                          

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:00:59 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Constructing gasifier
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
If you haven't read the FEMA gassifier project manual, I highly suggest you read it, study and analyze that information. Your Otto Cycle engine should pull the gases and eliminate the fan (once started).

Ron

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:37:05 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

KilroyOdin

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »
Hi, I found the FEMA report and a lot videos on youtube. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:25:07 PM by KilroyOdin »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
I am using the fan just for the starting of the fire.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:57:30 PM by KilroyOdin »

defed

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
i just saw a show on the planet green channel (planet mechanics) where they built a wood burning truck.  pretty much what you have there.  when they got the contraption done, and fired it up, the gas that came out made a very nice blue flame.  it was a bit tricky to get the engine to run (custom gas/air mixer) but once going it worked fairly well.  only problems were they had to keep the RPM's high (don't recall why) and they had to stop every so often to stoke the fire (unless they drove on bumpy roads).

they said on the show that the concept was used alot during WWII, probably when regular fuel was in short supply.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:43:49 PM by defed »

HaroldCR

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »

Have you run across Wayne Keith in your Google searches ??  He is considered a master in the craft.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:05:24 PM by HaroldCR »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »
mig welding tips-

grind all surfaces clean with angle grinder prior to welding.  this makes a HUGE difference. this includes grinding off all paint, galvanizing (galvanizing fumes are extremely dangerous if inhaled), rust ect.  

if you're using flux core wire it works, but i personally find it much easier to weld with co2.  (this is true M.I.G.welding Metal-Inert-Gas)  i'm sure a master welder could weld equally well with either style, but i found the solid wire with co2 to be much easier to learn on.  

wear gloves and don't be afraid to get you head close enough to really see what your doing.  

think of your hand movements like a robot.  very slow and steady.  sometimes ill hold the gun in one hand and rest the tip on top of my other hand, and just by bending your fingers you can get really consistent measured movements.  

looks like a fun project!

what type of engine are you wanting to run off this gasifier?

looking good!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:20:11 PM by birdhouse »

springgrove

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Yes, I remember my father saying the Germans used it often at the end of the war.  He was in Holland (Netherlands).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:35:08 PM by springgrove »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »
AC welding hard to make look good . A rectifier is a good add to the welding set . the splatter is decreased and a smoother n bead is a result . You have to be at least 25 percent higher wattage wise .Another way to work is tie the transformer in as a charger and keep 2 or 3 car batteries charged and weld off the batteries . A crude power adjustment can be constructed from 1 feet of # 6 wire and a tap that connects to the ground lead .Keep your rectifier for charging at 20 amps or so and  ad use a disconnect  to isolate the wand to weld with,    
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:57:01 PM by tecker »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:30 AM »
The Planet Mechanics film is good but it skips over a couple of stages - the extra fire extinguisher under the front bumper (fender) for example!! (a moisture trap maybe?)

This is my next project - standby generator on an old trailer. If a million Scandinavians could get them to work during WW2 then I'm sure I can get something cobbled together. I'm still looking for an old petrol genset that can push out 10kw or so 3 phase. I'll be scaled up a bit from the butane bottle - something the size of a hot water cylinder is what I had in mind for the producer.

One tip I've read of, use the oxygen sensor out of the exhaust of a fuel injected engine, via a servo amplifier, to adjust the producer gas fuel/air mix. It can be automated that way. Still need the extra revs to keep the draft going in the reducer section of the producer so as to get maximum carbon monooxide (flamable fuel) and minimum carbon dioxide (waste gas!!) and maximum hydrogen.

Now when I've finished my irrigation controller and built another geodesic quonset...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:37:30 AM by frackers »
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

KilroyOdin

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11:04 AM »
Hi, I have a couple of old 5 hp Briggs & Stratons they still have spark.                          
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:11:04 AM by KilroyOdin »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:49 AM »
Hi, I have a couple of old 5 hp Briggs & Stratons they still have spark.                          
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:15:49 AM by KilroyOdin »

randy727

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 05:07:40 AM »
Please do a lot of research.  Yes, they were widely used during WWII due to the lack of gasoline, HOWEVER they produce a large quantity of CARBON MONOXIDE! They must be vented well!  The hemoglobin in your blood would rather latch onto a CO molecule than an O2 molecule.  That is why exposure to 70ppm of carbon monoxide is dangerous and 150-200 ppm is deadly!  "Producers Gas" or "Wood Gas" can be up to 22% carbon monoxide.  Please Please be careful!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:07:40 AM by randy727 »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 06:14:42 AM »
Hi thank you for the information. I am constructing the unit on a small trailer and it will only be used outside. Thanks again and best regards
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:14:42 AM by KilroyOdin »